corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Martin O'Neill

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Martin O'Neill
Robbo

User status: Offline
10th Aug 10 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No doubt MON is a cracking manager but do agree with stigs poitn re. his spending, hes spent easily 3 times what Wenger has in the same 4 year period - very frivilous with his cash, Downing, Milner, Young as big signings but a lot on your Davies, Youngs and Heskeys etc
Tommy L

10th Aug 10 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd certainly not say no to him at Newcastle.
Nath

10th Aug 10 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see some people have already declared their interest.

Sven being one.

Southgate being the other
strick206

10th Aug 10 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O'Neill is a very good manager

Theonly thing i didn't like and this is the reason i wouldn't want him at united is because when he played the big teams, they completely changed their style of play.

He put everyone behind the ball and played boring stuff, when his decent football was doing well
Marc

10th Aug 10 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath

One I can see happening!
Tommy L

10th Aug 10 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Southgate
Robbo

10th Aug 10 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VIlla fans wouldnt like Southgate I'd say after he left them claiming a lack of ambition to then join Boro
Whittie

10th Aug 10 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Not heard anything on SSN today and didn't have radio on! Was pretty shocked about it, bit of a spit your dummy out reason to leave imo. Either way, he is a brilliant manager.... Celtic imo!

I wouldnt say so, if players are getting sold without your consent/say id be pretty fucked off too, how are you meant to manage and prepare your squad when you have no control over it? And ultimately if results didnt go their way it would be him who would be sacked.

Fair play to MON

I agree with that, but he was passionate about the club, which is why I was shocked he left. Plus they'll have money there now for him to get someone else..
p

10th Aug 10 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
I see some people have already declared their interest.

Sven being one.

Sven is such a dirty toerag. As soon as some one gets sacked from a job, why the fuck is he always in the frame, for bloody everything ?

What happened to the 'exciting Notts County' project

[Edited on 10-08-2010 by corsadee]
Ben D

10th Aug 10 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it just me or has sven been terrible at every job he has had since he left Lazio?

HArdly set the world alight @ City, or notts county, he was terrible with Mexico and same with the Ivory Coast
Whittie

10th Aug 10 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
Is it just me or has sven been terrible at every job he has had since he left Lazio?

HArdly set the world alight @ City, or notts county, he was terrible with Mexico and same with the Ivory Coast

You can't knock him looking at it from a business side.

Sven's To-Do List...

Get a Job
Make sure I sign for as long as possible, 5+ years.
Do a shit job.
Get sacked and paid off.
Get another job.
Repeat.
12vStig

10th Aug 10 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sven is woeful, Bob Bradley is the early favourite for the Villa hotseat.
Ben D

10th Aug 10 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a pretty cunning business model that come to think of it Whittie

Nath

10th Aug 10 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:
Originally posted by Ben D

You can't knock him looking at it from a business side.

Sven's To-Do List...

Get a Job
Make sure I sign for as long as possible, 5+ years.
Fuck everyone in the local area
Do a shit job.
Get sacked and paid off.
Get another job.
Repeat.

Edited 4 da troof.
Tommy L

10th Aug 10 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Werd nath, werd
Hammer

10th Aug 10 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 12vStig
One thing that has always got on my wick with Villa, and more importantly O'neill, is the insistance that he has not only over achieved at Villa, but also managed to do it on a shoestring budget. As far as I can see, O'neill has finished 6th every season at Villa, equalling the achievements of David O'Leary, who achieved 6th place with a much tighter budget and an infamously "very small squad, just a good bunch of honest hard-working lads."

O'Leary called Villa fans 'fickle' a feat which O'Neill replicated, and now he has left I have no doubts the Villa faithful will turn on him as they did O'Leary.

And the tight budget O'Neill has worked with, yes they haven't made a marquee £20m signing, but they have signed a hell of a lot of players for £9m-£12m, and a hell of a lot more bang-average players for hefty sums of money. Downing 12m, Milner 12m, A. Young 10m, Curtis Davies 10m (even though most of it was paid as a loan fee the season before so west brom didnt have to pay a tax payment)... the list goes on, and lets not forget the £20m outlay on Heskey, Sidwell, L. Young and Shorey. It looks as if Randy Lerner has said "enough is enough" similar to what Roman Abromavich did at Chelsea, and Martin has spat his dummy out.

Im not O'Neills biggest fan, in my eyes the odd league cup and success in Scotland with one of the old firm does not make you a "modern-day great" as he is often heralded. The talk of him being England manager was short-sighted, the man is tactically inept etc but that is an argument for another day.

[Edited on 10-08-2010 by 12vStig]

Bit of selective 'journalism' there.

You left out his success with Leicester both in the cups and the league, the fact he lead a club from a piss pot league to a European final and the fact he may have spent 80 million net over his 4 seasons but the squad he has left would recoup that figure with the sale of 3 or 4 of the guys he brought in.
Marc

10th Aug 10 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8899765.stm
12vStig

10th Aug 10 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

You left out his success with Leicester both in the cups and the league, the fact he lead a club from a piss pot league to a European final and the fact he may have spent 80 million net over his 4 seasons but the squad he has left would recoup that figure with the sale of 3 or 4 of the guys he brought in.

TBH i referenced his success with Leicester, "the odd league cup". I'm not doubting he has been successful, but Steve Mclaren is a successful manager, would you want him as England boss? The difference between good managers and great managers is their ability to influence a game from the touch-line, and as I see it O'Neills tactical ineptitude and lack of a plan B (Heskey on for Carew at 60 mins) limits his influence on a game.

I would also challenge that the majority of the Villa squad could recoup the net outlay O'Neill spent, Luke Young was set to join Liverpool for £1.5m, £4.5m less that what Martin shelled out. Villa would struggle to get anywhere near the £10m paid for Davies, the £6.5m for Petrov, the £9m for Cueller etc and even Money-bags Man City are flabbergasted by the £30m price tag on Milner's head.

Limecat
Banned

11th Aug 10 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

TBH i referenced his success with Leicester, "the odd league cup". I'm not doubting he has been successful, but Steve Mclaren is a successful manager, would you want him as England boss? The difference between good managers and great managers is their ability to influence a game from the touch-line, and as I see it O'Neills tactical ineptitude and lack of a plan B (Heskey on for Carew at 60 mins) limits his influence on a game.

You really are a 'tard.
12vStig

11th Aug 10 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont see how?

O'Neills success with Leicester came at a time within football when such a feat was possible, there was no big 4, no oversized squads full of 20+ internationals all earning megabucks.

Also I likened O'Neills success at Celtic to that of McLaren at FC Twente, a good achievement but not in one of Europe's top leagues. In fact I would say McLarens success is greater, as Twente were far from favourites to win the Eredivisie when he took over.

McLaren, like O'Neill, has also guided an unfancied team to league cup triumph, and has led an unfancied team to a European final... but the question remains would you want Steve McLaren in charge of England?

Edd

11th Aug 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by Edd
Geraldine must be "not well" again lol
unnecessary

Oh fuck off you pathetic dick
Nath

11th Aug 10 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt piss him off Robbo:

Edd

11th Aug 10 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

screech
Hammer

11th Aug 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i dont see how?

O'Neills success with Leicester came at a time within football when such a feat was possible, there was no big 4, no oversized squads full of 20+ internationals all earning megabucks.

Also I likened O'Neills success at Celtic to that of McLaren at FC Twente, a good achievement but not in one of Europe's top leagues. In fact I would say McLarens success is greater, as Twente were far from favourites to win the Eredivisie when he took over.

McLaren, like O'Neill, has also guided an unfancied team to league cup triumph, and has led an unfancied team to a European final... but the question remains would you want Steve McLaren in charge of England?

When the fuck do you think he managed Leicester? 1960?
Nath

11th Aug 10 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
screech

Yeah that'd work if I looked like him.

Now calm down and leave those 'faggots' alone.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Martin O'Neill 23 database queries in 0.0178499 seconds