corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Me and Colin ...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Me and Colin ...
dannymccann

User status: Offline
5th Sep 10 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
the budget at the moment is £4.5k

Out of interest whats that covering?

Guy in the control room here's getting married in 3 weeks & the flowers alone are a grand!! Think he's maybe marrying Elton John.

Everything
Shell
Premium Member

5th Sep 10 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
*mean photo*
eck, pissed as a fart.

Don't be so horrible
Colin

5th Sep 10 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Define everything?

Church?
Cars?
Flowers?
Clothes?
Photographer?
Meal...for how many?
Reception...for how many?
Honeymoon?

4.5k sounds very budget unless your sidestepping most of the above?
Cole

5th Sep 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think im just gonna go to vegas and get married wedding and honeymoon all in one for less than 3k job done if anyoine wants to come from my family etc they can pay for themselves lol
Eck
Premium Member

5th Sep 10 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben, I will stab you to death motherfucker
Ben G

5th Sep 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
quote:
*mean photo*
eck, pissed as a fart.

Don't be so horrible

i'm sure he's very handsome in real life. any guy that drive a sleeper volvo is a good man to me

he probably looks nothing like this in real life:

Ben G

5th Sep 10 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Define everything?

Church?
Cars?
Flowers?
Clothes?
Photographer?
Meal...for how many?
Honeymoon?

you can do it on a budget if you get bargains and know people in florists/chefs/good photographers.

mwg

5th Sep 10 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One way that really makes every one happy and saves you money is to get the bridesmaids, ushers and bestman to buy/hire their own suits. That really makes me happy, I wish more people would ask me to be an usher and then ask me to pay to hire the suit.
Ben G

5th Sep 10 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i doubt that would work when the bride/groom have nice new motors
Colin

5th Sep 10 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Define everything?

Church?
Cars?
Flowers?
Clothes?
Photographer?
Meal...for how many?
Honeymoon?

you can do it on a budget if you get bargains and know people in florists/chefs/good photographers.

Yeah great on paper but in practice how many people know a florist/chef/good photographer etc etc all willing to provide something at cost?

My mate runs a kilt hire shop & doesnt even d mates rates, hes got a business to run etc & would be doing a good turn every day if he started doing deals for folk he knows.
JadeM
Premium Member

5th Sep 10 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was a bridesmaid at a wedding last year. The full works, no expense spared church do. Both the bride and groom didn't attend church and got baptised a few weeks before it to allow them to get married in the church. I doubt very much they've put there foot back inside it since !!! It was all a 'big show' the bride continually posting on her bebo ' me and my mum will show how a wedding should be' - 'me and my mum have just pulled together a wedding like no other' blah blah. Looking back at the DVD it was all so false and staged, the 1st dance is cringe worthy !! I'm not saying all big weddings are like that, but it really put me off a church/big reception wedding

I'd rather it was just me and Mr J escape from all of that, where we can relax together just me and him time - something really personal then a get together for family and friends when we get back
Recaro1

5th Sep 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go away somewhere nice and do it on a beach.

My mate got married 2 years ago, cost over 20k easy. They lasted 8 months. He's still paying it off.

My mums friends went to barbados. The hotel arranged everything. People stayed in the same hotel for a week with them, then went home and the bride and groom had another week just the 2 of them. Nowhere 20k.
Ben G

5th Sep 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
Define everything?

Church?
Cars?
Flowers?
Clothes?
Photographer?
Meal...for how many?
Honeymoon?

Yeah great on paper but in practice how many people know a florist/chef/good photographer etc etc all willing to provide something at cost?

My mate runs a kilt hire shop & doesnt even d mates rates, hes got a business to run etc & would be doing a good turn every day if he started doing deals for folk he knows.

i know a photographer who will do a wedding for free drink/food for mates and have known a very good chef since primary school who would help out for next to nothing.

personally, i'd go abroad like you, but it can be done here on a budget. i'm not keen on the big white wedding thing myself as 1) i'm quite a shy, private person and like intimate things rather than big showy off occasions and 2) it's cheaper and i can spend the extra on my wife/kids in the future.
Recaro1

5th Sep 10 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i'm not keen on the big white wedding thing myself as 1) i'm quite a shy, private person and like intimate things rather than big showy off occasions and 2) it's cheaper and i can spend the extra on my wife/kids in the future.

I think this is every man. No man wants a big white wedding, he'd rather spend that cash on a car.
Ben G

5th Sep 10 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, when i wrote i could spend the cash on wife/kids, i actually meant a nice car
dannymccann

5th Sep 10 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin, we are having a small day, mainly family, hardly anything traditional. If it was me we would be down the registry office one afternoon or away in some (not too hot) country, and I would put the rest to the mortgage. She doesnt want a big day but does want to involve her family, and they have done a lot for us whereas mine haven't really, well my mum hasnt , others have been alright. Taken from my budget spreadsheet -

'Apparel' (all bride and groom clothing, wedding rings) £871 at the moment, will know for sure when she finds a dress

Transport - nothing, its all in one place and we will probably ask her uncle to use his new Saab to transport her there, ill be cruising in the oil burner to the venue. Put a ribbon the front, job done

Flowers - she is doing all the prep herself, sourcing the flowers, thinking mostly fake, making button holes, centre pieces etc, budget £360, should be less

Gifts - its our day, they bring us stuff. Budgeted £100, £50 to buy each other something, I dont see the point but its in the budget

Stationery / printing - everything is hand written and she is making the invites with card paper and ribbon - £25

Disco - included with venue hire, see below - £0

Decorations - balloons (shes budgeted £70, wont be able to move for the fuckers on that sort of money ), centrepieces for 7 tables are the cup cake stands, buy them off ebay, 3 tier acrylic stand for 12 cakes £5 each and then her flowers go on top, kills 2 birds with 1 stone - £150 but again should come down

Photography - local guy £350, no prints but everything edited and un-watermarked on disc, can print whatever and wherever we want. Have him from the morning getting ready till whenever we want him really, he's easy, and its good for us because we have then got digital copies of proper photos forever

Food / Drink - starter and main (soup and roast beef) for 35 guests is £20 a head so near on £1000, drinks are jugs of orange juice for kids and drivers and a bottle of rose and white on each table, £230, they can buy the rest

Like I said, not traditional - the 'wedding cake' will be a basic sponge with icing on so we have something to cut, but the proper cakes will be cup cakes (muffin size) on each table as the centrepiece / desert all rolled into 1. Box of 12 for £14, 6 boxes + cutting cake is £105. We might make them ourselves yet, or get our friend whos wedding we went to last night to make them because they were top quality and very nice. Evening buffet for 30 people at £11 a head = £330, all prepared in house by the chef (apparently )

Favours - we have been given some boxes for favours by a friend and will put a lucky dip lottery ticket in each one - £30

Ceremony itself is £370, cant really get away from that Hotel for the night and breakfast in the morning is £115 and put the stag and hen parties in at £200, she will probably go for a meal out with some of her best mates and then round some pubs and I will go go-karting with a few mates and the dads (not big into drinking / getting leathered)

Reception / actual venue - £520 hire all day of the posh-ish hotel back where we are from, all linen, chairs, tables cutlery etc is included, not bothering with chair covers (hopefully)

All in all, around £4500, with some more to come off perhaps, depending on what dress she buys and how much her flowers come to. As you can see food is the killer...

edit - Honeymoon - not discussed this really yet, will probably go for a cottage in Scotland / Lake District, something like that, we want somewhere we can take the dog with us but it doesnt have to be straight after the wedding, expensive enough time as it is.

[Edited on 05-09-2010 by dannymccann]
A2H GO

5th Sep 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were doing a 2 week holiday in the Grenadines, 1st week with close family and wedding, second week on our own for the honeymoon. Treated and waited on like a king for less than a tenth of the price over here. Traditional weddings are...well, traditional, not mine and the mrs thing.
DannyB
Premium Member

5th Sep 10 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eck actually looks fuck all like Mikey in real life
AndyKent

5th Sep 10 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair, people offering to do stuff fully for free (or at cost to be fair) are only going to be doing it because they've not got enough work elsewhere = probably not the best quality.

I've had people asking me to photograph their wedding who know me, but we're hardly best friends. Hardly friends at all tbh. I've always turned them down because its obvious they're out for a bargain. If you want quality, you pay for quality.
I wouldn't do it for free/cheap out of principal unless I really knew them exceptionally well and was doing it because I wanted to give them something special for their day.

That said, as a rule I don't photograph weddings so even if they wanted to pay my day rate I'd say no
JadeM
Premium Member

5th Sep 10 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Were doing a 2 week holiday in the Grenadines, 1st week with close family and wedding, second week on our own for the honeymoon. Treated and waited on like a king for less than a tenth of the price over here. Traditional weddings are...well, traditional, not mine and the mrs thing.

Yeah that sounds about right, except we're leaving the family behind Hope you don't mind me asking, as a rough guide how much is it costing?

The only thing that slightly stresses me is .... what if we arrived at the destination but my dress didn't
Hammer

5th Sep 10 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flipside to the argument, I went to a traditional wedding last month and it was amazing. Absolutely everything perfect right down to the manicured bushed in the gardens.

Think he said it cost him 26k all in but at the end of the day it's only money, they have the memory of the day for the rest of their lives now.
Cole

5th Sep 10 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Colin, we are having a small day, mainly family, hardly anything traditional. If it was me we would be down the registry office one afternoon or away in some (not too hot) country, and I would put the rest to the mortgage. She doesnt want a big day but does want to involve her family, and they have done a lot for us whereas mine haven't really, well my mum hasnt , others have been alright. Taken from my budget spreadsheet -

'Apparel' (all bride and groom clothing, wedding rings) £871 at the moment, will know for sure when she finds a dress

Transport - nothing, its all in one place and we will probably ask her uncle to use his new Saab to transport her there, ill be cruising in the oil burner to the venue. Put a ribbon the front, job done

Flowers - she is doing all the prep herself, sourcing the flowers, thinking mostly fake, making button holes, centre pieces etc, budget £360, should be less

Gifts - its our day, they bring us stuff. Budgeted £100, £50 to buy each other something, I dont see the point but its in the budget

Stationery / printing - everything is hand written and she is making the invites with card paper and ribbon - £25

Disco - included with venue hire, see below - £0

Decorations - balloons (shes budgeted £70, wont be able to move for the fuckers on that sort of money ), centrepieces for 7 tables are the cup cake stands, buy them off ebay, 3 tier acrylic stand for 12 cakes £5 each and then her flowers go on top, kills 2 birds with 1 stone - £150 but again should come down

Photography - local guy £350, no prints but everything edited and un-watermarked on disc, can print whatever and wherever we want. Have him from the morning getting ready till whenever we want him really, he's easy, and its good for us because we have then got digital copies of proper photos forever

Food / Drink - starter and main (soup and roast beef) for 35 guests is £20 a head so near on £1000, drinks are jugs of orange juice for kids and drivers and a bottle of rose and white on each table, £230, they can buy the rest

Like I said, not traditional - the 'wedding cake' will be a basic sponge with icing on so we have something to cut, but the proper cakes will be cup cakes (muffin size) on each table as the centrepiece / desert all rolled into 1. Box of 12 for £14, 6 boxes + cutting cake is £105. We might make them ourselves yet, or get our friend whos wedding we went to last night to make them because they were top quality and very nice. Evening buffet for 30 people at £11 a head = £330, all prepared in house by the chef (apparently )

Favours - we have been given some boxes for favours by a friend and will put a lucky dip lottery ticket in each one - £30

Ceremony itself is £370, cant really get away from that Hotel for the night and breakfast in the morning is £115 and put the stag and hen parties in at £200, she will probably go for a meal out with some of her best mates and then round some pubs and I will go go-karting with a few mates and the dads (not big into drinking / getting leathered)

Reception / actual venue - £520 hire all day of the posh-ish hotel back where we are from, all linen, chairs, tables cutlery etc is included, not bothering with chair covers (hopefully)

All in all, around £4500, with some more to come off perhaps, depending on what dress she buys and how much her flowers come to. As you can see food is the killer...

edit - Honeymoon - not discussed this really yet, will probably go for a cottage in Scotland / Lake District, something like that, we want somewhere we can take the dog with us but it doesnt have to be straight after the wedding, expensive enough time as it is.

[Edited on 05-09-2010 by dannymccann]

where are the cs xbox360mw2 players invites ffs
dannymccann

5th Sep 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coley you didn't have to quote the whole thing

Also id be worried you would try and sell a fake Rolex from inside your jacket to my grandma
jibjob

5th Sep 10 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres so many different variations of wedding in this thread

I have no idea what type of wedding i would want. I think at the moment if i was to choose id have 2. I'd like to go somewhere like Barbados and have a small ceremony only immediate family and then spend a couple of weeks out there for the honeymoon.

Then when we came home have another ceremony at a church for everybody else. Nothing too big though and just keep the costs down. Then just a cheap reception with a buffet.

I think i would definitely call in all the favours im owed though for the second ceremony Cheap (but good) photographer, cheap food, homemade cake, cheap flowers, free transport, etc.

Although saying all this i doubt im ever going to get married so this is all irrelevant
Cole

5th Sep 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like i said vegas and job done i couldnt goive a shit if my parents couldnt afford to come i wont be paying for noone to have a good time its all about me and the missus i forget one thing though i need to get engaged first

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Me and Colin ... 22 database queries in 0.0194240 seconds