corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Combe threads and WR

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Combe threads and WR
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Sep 10 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

k
Paul_J

12th Sep 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportBoy
wr needs new people ie not people from corsasport.

It does, but then it struggles when it's empty and not living.

Community sites need to gain enough traction to be 'living' ... this is not easy, a major cache 22 / chicken and egg style problem ... MANY try and fail. Some hit a critical level and never grow any bigger.

Sites like corsasport / saxo sites / 106 sites have an influx of new users due to new people buying cars and wanting a site to talk about... however, people then enjoy the community and stay on board even when the original car is gone.

Sites like pistonheads worked by being a car news site... so people come to read the news... and then the community was built on the back of it.

The problem with weekend racer is that, there's nothing drawing people in... and when they get there it's 'dead'. This is not Ian's fault, it's just one of the difficulties of making popular sites online. If it was easy, we'd all do it.

Once it hits a certain level though (like CS is) - it becomes self sufficient. People post, come back read and post some more... New users come along and join the active community and the site is 'alive'.
Nic Barnes

12th Sep 10 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i owned a corsa and went on an s2000 site and asked them to accomodate me more as i dont own what the site is originally made for? what would they say paul?
Cole

12th Sep 10 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barnes in gen chat post shocker
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never really thought of it like that and its a fair point.

Like when I had a problem with my saxo I googled it and it came up with the saxp forum which I am now a member of. Where as wr doesnt get anything other then exposure at events.
But get a community going then it can be members getting friends to join up and collection people at shows and hopefully the active forum will keep them there

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
if i owned a corsa and went on an s2000 site and asked them to accomodate me more as i dont own what the site is originally made for? what would they say paul?

Apparently they are all boring coffin dodgers so probably not alot

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Paul_J

12th Sep 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

They're a miserable bunch on the s2000 forum... (s2ki) ... I much prefer the community here.

But to answer your question Nic, they would actually be interested to hear about your car, as it would be something genuinely interesting / different from the same old s2000 posts.

The problem here, is that Ian wants all non corsa stuff to be removed to keep this site relevant for new users...

If you went to a s2000 forum and put up a thread about your corsa and they deleted it... I'd expect you to go postal, arms flailing, lips off, etc.
SportBoy

12th Sep 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ian is basically wanting a few people to make an effort .. not telling you to fvckoff and not come back .. ie if colin moved his what car to buy this week etc threads there that would be awsome
Nic Barnes

12th Sep 10 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt go to a s2000 site and post anything about my car. this site is about corsas. thats why i have a project thread on it. why i originally joined. i simply refuse, apart from these posts, to post in general chat. as being a corsa owner, just get slagged off. id rather post on migweb. or even vauxsport dare i say it.

if i owned another make of car, id post on that site about my car and talk about it on there. nothing to stop anyone using this as a community. but slagging the foundation of the site off, and wanting it changed to suit yourself? get a grip.

if everyone keeps slagging all corsa stuff off like they do at the moment all corsa related people and new members will eventually go elsewhere and i guess you can have you way paul.

thanks.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont mind making an effort but it will need a lot of people over a prolonged period of time making an effort for it to work
Cole

12th Sep 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even though barnes has a haircut that makes him look like he has downs he does talk sense
Paul_J

12th Sep 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportBoy
ie if colin moved his what car to buy this week etc threads there that would be awsome

I see what you mean though.
Paul_J

12th Sep 10 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
Even though barnes has a haircut that makes him look like he has downs he does talk sense

He actually does

Hmm, a difficult one as I do agree with what Nic is saying.
Adam_B

12th Sep 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant say ive noticed a massive slagging off of everything corsa relatede that gets posted?
Paul_J

12th Sep 10 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of interest Ian... is it possible to do what gav said?

Have Off day cross both sites? or is the membership / database completely seperate?

e.g. Cosmo is using CS, posts in offday... I view WR's offday and read his post and reply... Cosmo reads CS and see's my reply etc...

I probably would use WR a lot more if that was the case.

Essentially replication of sections except for corsa specific sections.

Cross post the sections of offday (geekday, etc), projects, for sale... Then I'd happily use WR.

Steve
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a bad idea, just would have to use the same table in the database for general chat or whatever might cause some errors though is parts of the database are already held open whilst trying to be written
Steve
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it would also mean every user off here would get migrated over there
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Sep 10 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
I'm just thinking about people like 'Cosmo' where does he fit in the categories, doesn't drive a corsa, never owned a corsa, doesn't go on track days
And it would be unfair of me to say that he doesn't support the site because he's been prem for a good few years, and with the greatest of gratitude, I'm not catering for people who neither have Corsas nor go to Track days. Without sounding harsh and I hope I'm not offending anyone or looking in the mouths of any gift horses but those people are not the target market.

If they find a home, excellent. But I also don't want to run a Corsa web site that isn't really about anything and struggles to get cars at shows.
Nic Barnes

12th Sep 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=574736&page=3

what comes after the http bit? what would you expect that site to be about if you were new?

thats the main flaw in anything you are asking or saying paul.
John

12th Sep 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would be little to no traffic if you didn't cater for those people.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, i would just keep the cs domain and forward it onto weekend racer, do away with a Corsa only site, and just hold meets and event using the WR brand. It would make more sense and be less confusing then faffing about with two groups of people, probably more cost effective too.

Having said that its a huge decision to make as i know how passionate ian is about corsas

[Edited on 12-09-2010 by Steve]
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Sep 10 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
e.g. Cosmo is using CS, posts in offday... I view WR's offday and read his post and reply... Cosmo reads CS and see's my reply etc...
They're different DBs but it could be synched - I just don't really want to.

We seem to be appealing to Off Day users here?

Regarding the re-brand, absolutely not. CS is staying CS. It just needs some work to get more than 15 cars to a show.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the main reasons against a rebrand?

The fact you run the risk of pissing off corsa owners?

Your own passion for corsas?

or something else?

it just seems to make more sense to me, not only that you are widening the scope for even more users to register

maybe im not the best person to make this argument as i dont own a corsa

[Edited on 12-09-2010 by Steve]
Jake

12th Sep 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly whos cosmo when hes at home? ffs paul get a grip
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Sep 10 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The fact you run the risk of pissing off corsa owners?

Your own passion for corsas?

or something else?

it just seems to make more sense to me, not only that you are widening the scope for even more users to register

Bit of all of that. Not so much pissing people off but I think losing Corsa Sport would be just that, a loss.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Combe threads and WR 23 database queries in 0.0156660 seconds