corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Alex Reid

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alex Reid
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
25th Sep 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy
Would a proper Thai boxer kick these blokes arses ?

not in my opinion, they would have to be big punchers - might win on points though if they could keep their distance

Would have thought many of the top thai boxers would be in mma for the bigger prizes

[Edited on 25-09-2010 by Dr Pepper]
Tommy

25th Sep 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
quote:

A possibily, but considering MMA is a form of every Martial Art thrown together they are all good at everything.

Just asking im not dissing mma but do they not water down lots of different styles ?
DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An MMA fighter will train in every form week in week out, they have to be on top of their game as practically anything can happen in a fight barring a few things.
Conway563

25th Sep 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
people like maccerenelli or hatton had massive knock out power, but there careers have been ended by smaller punchers...because they got out boxed, out worked and out moved.

Knockout power always gives you a fighting chance I admit that ... but I dont belive any mma fighters I have seen are good enough boxers to beat top boxers in a cage. Im not saying the mma guys couldnt knock them out, I just dont think they would get a chance against the real top boxers out there

I'd agree if they had to be kept standing the whole time but most fighters are extremely bright and adjust their plans accordingly. There are some very good boxers in MMA though Chris Lytle has had some success professionally for example
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

A possibily, but considering MMA is a form of every Martial Art thrown together they are all good at everything.

Just asking im not dissing mma but do they not water down lots of different styles ?

Surely thai boxers know the kind of fghters they will face and under what set of rules ... they may struggle to adapt to fighting mma where you have to be good at many other things and generally have much bigger knock out power than you would need in thai boxing.

A top thai boxer would beat an mma fighter at thai boxing, they would struggle to beat them at mma.
Eck
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
If you put a good professional boxer in a cage with these guys the boxer would knock them out without having to use feet or grabs.

You mad, it's been proved many times that a boxer getting in to the octogon with an MMA fighter doesn't last long

[Edited on 25-09-2010 by DannyB]

Yeah ok

You cannot be sarcastic on this subject when I follow MMA and you don't, please go and watch James Toneys recent fight against Randy Couture, please also look at James Toneys wiki page and find out just how good a boxer he was.

Danny, this is the same boy who said england WILL win the world cup. What happened there mate? Oh yeah, you're a fucking idiot. Please take your opinions and bolt you rocket, you clearly know fuck all about any sport.
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
quote:
people like maccerenelli or hatton had massive knock out power, but there careers have been ended by smaller punchers...because they got out boxed, out worked and out moved.

Knockout power always gives you a fighting chance I admit that ... but I dont belive any mma fighters I have seen are good enough boxers to beat top boxers in a cage. Im not saying the mma guys couldnt knock them out, I just dont think they would get a chance against the real top boxers out there

I'd agree if they had to be kept standing the whole time but most fighters are extremely bright and adjust their plans accordingly. There are some very good boxers in MMA though Chris Lytle has had some success professionally for example

Agreed - for me im just suprised that there are not more really good boxers in mma - Gives you such an advantage if you can outbox them at distance... not really much you can do about it if you are being picked off on the move..all you can do is go for the one punch/kick knockout ... but if you get hit enough you dont retain your knockout power .... Alex Reid outboxed that guy at the start - he then didnt have enough in the tank to knock reid out later on
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
If you put a good professional boxer in a cage with these guys the boxer would knock them out without having to use feet or grabs.

You mad, it's been proved many times that a boxer getting in to the octogon with an MMA fighter doesn't last long

[Edited on 25-09-2010 by DannyB]

Yeah ok , very well worded

You cannot be sarcastic on this subject when I follow MMA and you don't, please go and watch James Toneys recent fight against Randy Couture, please also look at James Toneys wiki page and find out just how good a boxer he was.

Danny, this is the same boy who said england WILL win the world cup. What happened there mate? Oh yeah, you're a fucking idiot. Please take your opinions and bolt you rocket, you clearly know fuck all about any sport.

nice reply

Did you read the rest of this thread where I put that I had watched that fight and then explained why that didnt prove his point - then we agreed to disagree as neither of us could prove our point.

Do you know who James Tony is? Do you know anything about this subject...or are you just mouthing off at me without actually knowing anything about me.

For your information my world cup thread was tongue in cheek and aimed to wind up a few scots who were making threads about supporting usa ect

Oh and I can prove that I know something about at least one sport as I play it at a national level and am a currect county champion. To be fair most books I read are on sport and I spend most of my time playing or watching it so you dont really know much about me.

Calm down, dry your eyes and stop being a keyboard warrior

cheers

Jules S
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He did alright there

He had his head kicked in though didn't he? the state of his face

He's miles too one dimensional from what I've seen of MMA....and he hardly displayed any of the so called 'techniques' he's been learning whilst media whoring around the world in various training camps.

DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's hard for a boxer to get in to MMA though, it's a totally different sport, not many can adapt to it.
DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering Pepper, how come you've never been a big MMA fan, just not watched enough of it or prefer boxing?
Eck
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bullshit. You went into great reason to England fans, not Scots. I've read it all and my opinion is still the same. You. Chat. Shit.
ianofbhills

25th Sep 10 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never seen any sport where the loser gets more air time and more talked about for actually getting beat....

Might watch the wrestling thats on after it its probably pretty similar.
Corsa_Sport21

25th Sep 10 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO boxers know how to punch and where to hit/connect with a knockout jab,MMA fighters can do the rest.

Boxers can go the 12 rounds,these guys struggled to do 5.
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just wondering Pepper, how come you've never been a big MMA fan, just not watched enough of it or prefer boxing?

I personally think the kicks and grabs spoil the fight. I prefer the tactics and technique needed to be a great boxer.... Im not saying you dont need those things in mma, but its different. In boxing you can not leave yourself exposed at any time against a top guy or you will get seriously hurt. Imo mma is a little more forgiving - makes it more exiting to watch often than boxing as you dont get so many really cagey fights.

You have to watch lots of boxing to see the really good stuff - I just think its a beautiful thing to see a top boxer working out how he can beat another top boxer then doing it over 12 rounds. I admitt there are some really bad fights in a boxing ring, I think you get more clashes of styles in boxing than in mma.

I just think the best boxing fights of all time will always be at a higher level of sporting excellence than the top mma fights.

DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Boxers can go the 12 rounds, these guys struggled to do 5.

There's more effort in 5 rounds of an MMA fight than 12 rounds of a boxing match, an MMA fighter could gas in 3 minutes, it's not easy having a man on your back who weighs the same as you who won't let you stand up, at the same time he is punching you in the face and trying to get an arm under your chin to choke you out, you have to protect yourself and defend your self well enough so the ref doesn't stop the fight. How is that the same as standing up looking for a punch for 12 rounds?

Your point really isnt relavent, the two sports couldn't be more different.
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Boxers can go the 12 rounds, these guys struggled to do 5.

There's more effort in 5 rounds of an MMA fight than 12 rounds of a boxing match, an MMA fighter could gas in 3 minutes, it's not easy having a man on your back who weighs the same as you who won't let you stand up, at the same time he is punching you in the face and trying to get an arm under your chin to choke you out, you have to protect yourself and defend your self well enough so the ref doesn't stop the fight. How is that the same as standing up looking for a punch for 12 rounds?

Your point really isnt relavent, the two sports couldn't be more different.

The grabbling will zap your strength- thats obvious- 18stone on top of you is knackering.

But you have to conceed also that the movement needed in a boxing ring combined with the ferocity of the shots with the big gloves on is just as draining. If someone like hatton hit you in the ribs I dont care who you are, boxer or mma- your going down, the difference is that top boxers like mayweather or pacquio wouldt give hatton a chance to do that - movement and technique is too good- they will outbox a big hitter untill his strength is low enough that they dont have a knockout punch at their disposal - then they can get in closer. I think top boxers could wear down mma fighters unless they had good enough boxing technique to defend themselves.

DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree it is draining, yes, but I also think it is not as draining as an MMA fight, far more happens.
DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I agree it is draining, yes, but I also think it is not as draining as an MMA fight, far more happens.

Imagine having Brock Lesnar sat on your chest pounding you in the face, you either try your hardest to move him or you're going to lose, make no mistake he will knock you out in under 10 seconds if you don't protect yourself well enough.
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Imagine having Brock Lesnar sat on your chest pounding you in the face, you either try your hardest to move him or you're going to lose, make no mistake he will knock you out in under 10 seconds if you don't protect yourself well enough.

Of course he would, but imo if you for example put him in a ring with Tyson in his prime ... tyson would knock him out before he got a chance to grapple. You have to compare weight for weight - the big mma guys are the same weight as people like lennox lewis

No way of proving it though as top boxers will not fight seriously in mma in their prime

DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People like Brock as still capable of knocking guys out their own size though, although comparing him to tyson is a good point, I'd actually love to see a fight like that.
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Bullshit. You went into great reason to England fans, not Scots. I've read it all and my opinion is still the same. You. Chat. Shit.

Whats your problem mate - we are having a perfectly reasonable debate - both of us clearly prefer a different sport - we are both explaining why. Fairly interesting imo.

What exactly are you adding to the thread?

Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
People like Brock as still capable of knocking guys out their own size though, although comparing him to tyson is a good point, I'd actually love to see a fight like that.

me too

Im not knocking Brocks knockout power...im just disputing he would have much power left if he was out boxed by a top boxer for a couple of rounds .... I admit that if he got a good punch in the early rounds, or got on top of them on the floor then he would have a great chance at a knockout against anyone in the world

DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do think MMA fighters have a higher tolerance of pain though, again, Brock last fight started off with him being beaten half to death yet he takes it all on the chin and ends up winning the fight, I've never seen a boxer take the equivalent punishment.
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I do think MMA fighters have a higher tolerance of pain though, again, Brock last fight started off with him being beaten half to death yet he takes it all on the chin and ends up winning the fight, I've never seen a boxer take the equivalent punishment.

Boxers have come out of 12 rounds stood up ... then been in a wheelchair the rest of their life

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Alex Reid 22 database queries in 0.0152762 seconds