corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I bought this today...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I bought this today...
Fad

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 10 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
It seriously needs a LSD rory.

No they dont mate not even in the wet!

Get a decent geometry set up done with the new coilovers. I would say AST's after driving Brosters Cup!

Also what are the rules on tuning? If you want something quicker on track I would go down the route of cams and and a custom RS Tuning map (not the generic RS Tuner)
Graham88

23rd Dec 10 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a bargain! My mates PH2 172 spins up easily in this weather, they would be an awesome car with a diff!
Paul_J

23rd Dec 10 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
James Butler likes this. Im pretty excited paul, its going to be good. You raved about my cup after our ring lap. Sorry about earlier, I was in the studio at work at the photographer insisted on shouting.

it's alright mate, most of it was a act to convince the guy to drop his price. I kept saying 'Well, you see ... I'd buy it now, but I'm going halves on this with a friend and I don't want to upset him by buying something not totally as described on the advert'

When I finished our call, I was like 'hmm, James is telling me to leave the car - we can get similar for £1000 else where. At the end of the day, what is on this worth the extra?' ... Then said 'well, we've come a long way and I'm sure you want a sale, so how about we do a deal?'
Paul_J

23rd Dec 10 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
It seriously needs a LSD rory.

No they dont mate not even in the wet!

Get a decent geometry set up done with the new coilovers. I would say AST's after driving Brosters Cup!

Also what are the rules on tuning? If you want something quicker on track I would go down the route of cams and and a custom RS Tuning map (not the generic RS Tuner)

Well it's fairly open, but the classes are bhp at the wheels / tonne ... e.g. 150 bhp atw / tonne = Class C ... 175 bhp atw / tonne = class B. So technically, running more power or less weight doesn't give you a big advantage. It only makes you move up or down classes.

The key to this series is getting it to handle brilliantly and being at the top of the power / weight in the class you choose. This is why the LSD appeals.

When people talk about remaps - are they talking about the standard ecu?

Also, how is everyone elses car on tick over? what rpm and is it smooth? ... This car idles around 1000 rpm and is slightly lumpy like my gti was with cams.
Paul_J

23rd Dec 10 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't wait to drive this car in the dry... looking at the ktec coilovers on their website it looks like I can adjust the camber on these too I think the guy has fitted the top part of the strut (the hat over the springs upside down) so I may take the coilovers out and re fit them with a bit of camber.
Butler

23rd Dec 10 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah after our call i was thinking, may as well Paul. Plus youre still booked in on the PH rolling road. Fad is right though Paul, doesnt need an LSD, not yet anyway.
cunningham

23rd Dec 10 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a total bargain that car where did you find it ebay? pistonheads? a mate selling it?
Paul_J

23rd Dec 10 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cunningham
thats a total bargain that car where did you find it ebay? pistonheads? a mate selling it?

Pistonheads was listed at £1600

although if you read cliosport for sale section there's a load of bargains at the moment.

I wish my budget had stretched to this race car would've made things easier!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-clio-172-race-car-track-day-car-sport-maxx-/170580896936?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27b769eca8#ht_500wt_1156

[Edited on 23-12-2010 by Paul_J]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Dec 10 at 01:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

500 quid off the asking is fairly cheeky, well done.

Can't wait to see the progress thread ON WR
gez bay

23rd Dec 10 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldn't bother with an lsd yet paul, and with the map's its the standard ecu that they use. The 172 are known for having a lumpy idle, should stay at about 800-1000rpm until its warmed up. Check to see if your throttle is sticking aswel, may need adjusting. Mine sticks now and again.
Pridzz

23rd Dec 10 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul dont give it the beans till its warm, all cliosports idle are rough. Because of the VVT i think - And the maps are on standard ECU, been told that helps with the idle issue tho.
If you going more for handling on this, Nice set of AST coilovers, Solid strut top mounts, rear ARB, Front and rear strut bars and a good set of tyres and geometry set-up will then see it all up to the driver, Yours got Aircon? If so you can buy a deletion kit
AK

23rd Dec 10 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul..... he may have fitted the tops to give more castor....

Thats what you need... as much CASTOR as you can.

Use camber bolts or such like to get the camber.

It will benifit from an LSD - fact

Paul_J

23rd Dec 10 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK, I agree Castor would be the optimum - as it would give me a flat contact patch when going in a straight line and negative camber (helping the tyre stay flat) in the bend I'm unsure how I get it though heh.

Pridzz, this already had the air con 'deleted'
nathy_87

23rd Dec 10 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Though I'm not a fan of Clio's, you picked up a good bargin.
AK

23rd Dec 10 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
AK, I agree Castor would be the optimum - as it would give me a flat contact patch when going in a straight line and negative camber (helping the tyre stay flat) in the bend I'm unsure how I get it though heh.

Pridzz, this already had the air con 'deleted'

If you were talking about adjustable top mount before (you said something was the wrongway round).

Top mounts can normally be mounted a couple of ways.... to give sideways adjustament (camber) or inline (castor). The EXE-TC top mounts in mine are a bit of both if required as they have a ball socket type thing.

Castor - On the skyline we have adjustable control arms.... in effect they pull the strut base fwds. On the Impreza its through top mounts and spacing out of the rear of the lower arms (pushing the strut fwd, and out a small bit)
jr

23rd Dec 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AST customer support is shocking, i would get something made and serviciable in the UK, hence GAZ
Ojc

23rd Dec 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gaz or speak to Broster he told me how much he pays for the B14 kit
Paul_J

23rd Dec 10 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how good is Gaz though? I've always thought of them as being shit. Not sure why.

The Gaz stuff is considerably cheaper than AST. How does Gaz compare to H&R?
gez bay

23rd Dec 10 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gaz are really good, mine are about mid range £590. Fully height and damping adjustablity Then you can step up in price and quality and get Gaz gold coilovers £999, which are 4 individual coilovers and you dont use the rear spring cups on the rear beam.
AK

23rd Dec 10 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think i always have a bit of a predutice against GAZ too

not sure why
Ojc

23rd Dec 10 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did until Lee303 recommended them and Pickford quoted me happy.

2 year warranty as well.
jr

23rd Dec 10 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

built and designed in the UK, by ex LEDA staff, easy to service and advice from them, used by loads of National Competitions
Ojc

23rd Dec 10 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can specify what poundage springs you want as well breh.
Fad

23rd Dec 10 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
i think i always have a bit of a predutice against GAZ too

not sure why

Generally cheap and cheerful I think. I was at someone workshop when they had fitted them to a Clio and he commented that it has several clicks giving a false indication on how ajustable they were. Also said that they were predomantantly aimed at the rally market and they often spec them with wrong springs.

As long as you do you homework and know what you are specing (Like Lee303) I am sure they will be ok.
Ojc

23rd Dec 10 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheap and cheerful

Yeah mate.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I bought this today... 22 database queries in 0.0157061 seconds