corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear wheel bearings

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear wheel bearings
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
5th Jun 11 at 00:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i can see if there is more distance between where the suspension meets the axle and the wheel there could be more leverage to an extent
Not sufficient to make that much of a difference. It's more likely that the stub is worn and that is introducing play.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 06:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah your right im going to change the drums first as thats equally as likely to be a problem and the cheaper to do, then the stubs if thats no good

[Edited on 05-06-2011 by Steve]
lee303

5th Jun 11 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

measure everything before buying anything else imo, no matter how cheap the drums are, personally i cant see it being them as i think you’d notice when the races went in that the drums were fucked and they don’t have any bearing surface to wear per say, the bearing race accounts for that

[Edited on 05-06-2011 by lee303]
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did notice a slight point which was raised where someone had smacked the old races out with a screwdriver and caught the edge, there was similar on both sides so not sure if it could be that the races are sitting quite flush
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if i measure these stub axles, does it matter what the measurements are? or am i just looking for variations and differences around it?

not sure where to find what the measurements should be
antnee

5th Jun 11 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you going to weather the new drums to fit in with the age of the car?
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What make are the bearings you've been using?
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first line, and the other one is some german thing, fennell or something
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First line are shit, but not 1000 miles shit...
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly lol it is the first line ones that have gone the german ones have no play

[Edited on 05-06-2011 by Steve]
lee303

5th Jun 11 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so if i measure these stub axles, does it matter what the measurements are? or am i just looking for variations and differences around it?

not sure where to find what the measurements should be

yes just measure their diameter in various places where the bearing sits, also, have you had the geometry checked since you spaced them out? its a bit of a shot in the dark as it would need to be a significant amount of toe difference to wear the bearings, what do the races look like on the ones that have play? any pics?

as for pattern parts, i run pattern bearings all round in the nova, with no issues

[Edited on 05-06-2011 by lee303]
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no pics but the races were unmarked with no heat damage, tony saw them he said there was nothing on them also
lee303

5th Jun 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so doubtful its any toe issues or excess geometry angles or the drums cos you’d see the wear band being off centre in the races
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

il have to measure my stub axles then
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rear stubs are 120 quid each at least per side, do you think it would be safe to get ones from a scrappy off a semi low milage puma? when i say low i mean 60k
Jake

5th Jun 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this should be in fucking help zone anyway
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking hell ffs
mwg

5th Jun 11 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one drama after another with you
lee303

5th Jun 11 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
rear stubs are 120 quid each at least per side, do you think it would be safe to get ones from a scrappy off a semi low milage puma? when i say low i mean 60k

yep, as for me it wont necessarily be mileage that affects them, more how many times the bearings have been changed, and how well maintained the car has been, i will ask my mate if he can source new ones cheaper, i’ll message you on fb or something tomorrow when he’s open
Ojc

5th Jun 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The amount of times Steves had it apart I imagine that has caused the issue
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee303
quote:

yep, as for me it wont necessarily be mileage that affects them, more how many times the bearings have been changed, and how well maintained the car has been, i will ask my mate if he can source new ones cheaper, i’ll message you on fb or something tomorrow when he’s open

ta
Graham88

5th Jun 11 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Axle spacers don't put strain on the bearings though, my Corsa ate bearings with wheel spacers on, my Fiesta had axle spacers on for about 10k miles and 2 trackdays and no wheel bearing problems at all
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt you only have the 12mm ones though? iv got 20.5mm each side
fazza

5th Jun 11 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually am quite liking ford pumas now tbh...

Your profile pic looks awesome steve tbh
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks blud

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear wheel bearings 22 database queries in 0.0217710 seconds