corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » If you had 100k, how would you make it grow?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author If you had 100k, how would you make it grow?
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Jul 11 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plastic surgery
BluKoo

20th Jul 11 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
I thought you said in a different thread you had £250k invested BluKoo?

Nope. Never said that.
Would be nice though...

14th post down: http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=588585

quote:
Originally posted by James

£100k in an ISA, you know that's not possible unless it was done over 10+ years?

Its not an ISA. Its a stock portfolio.

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
I gave just under £100k to Avalon Investment.

[Edited on 20-07-2011 by BluKoo]
James

20th Jul 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by James

£100k in an ISA, you know that's not possible unless it was done over 10+ years?

Its not an ISA. Its a stock portfolio.

You said:

I gave just under £100k to Avalon Investment.

Currently got "Stocks & Shares ISA, Freedom ISA" (whatever that actually means).
BluKoo

20th Jul 11 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know that, but I think a stocks and shares isa must be different to a standard isa.

As I already stated, i'm not 100% sure how it all works, but here's a page I scanned in. Towards the top left you can see it says, "Stocks & Shares ISA, Freedom ISA".

The total value of the stock there on page 1 is over £34k, so it must work differently to a normal ISA.
Either that or each sector of investment is classed as a separate ISA.

A2H GO

20th Jul 11 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure you want be posting that on here mate.

I'd invest it in property in need of tlc, refurbish it within the shortest possible time, sell on for a quick profit, repeat. I'd expect to see between £2-5k a time.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id buy a 993 turbo in rivera blue with that tbh

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
20th Jul 11 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the 92% one has actually only made a grand and it's taken three years to do it?

Nice wad of cash there but as for being the best advice of what to do? Not so sure.

I've thought of another one. Buy other Corsa web sites.

[Edited on 20-07-2011 by Ian]
BluKoo

20th Jul 11 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
You sure you want be posting that on here mate.

I had a look and I don't think there's any info on there that would be dangerous to disclose.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
So the 92% one has actually only made a grand and it's taken three years to do it?

Nice wad of cash there but as for being the best advice of what to do? Not so sure.

Hmmm, i'm not actually too sure if its taken 3 years or 4 months. I'd have to dig out my previous statements to be sure.
Regardless, as I said before its possibly not the most profitable, but its making a steady return and I don't have to do anything.

I've been tempted to buy a flat or something, but I could end up losing money and I don't know if I can be arsed being a landlord.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
20th Jul 11 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's dated April 2008.

Even if it's doubled in the last five minutes, the money has still been in there for that long I would interpret that to mean.
Paul_J

20th Jul 11 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

also Ian, some of his larger amounts there - e.g. £8k are only earning 0.20% - he'd earn more than that on it from a high street bank.

I'd personally look to invest it into potential business ideas that can grow into passive side incomes, like many of people on this thread:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2567487

Loads of people on there earning $1000-$15000 a month from side line passive businesses which probably cost just a few thousand to really get up and running.
3CorsaMeal

i'd probably use the money to start some sort of corsa museum
BluKoo

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
It's dated April 2008.

Even if it's doubled in the last five minutes, the money has still been in there for that long I would interpret that to mean.

Yeah, thats true.

I've always just gone on the fact that they send me statements every 4 months, so the figure I see is the increase in those 4 months Silly mistake.

Paul_J

20th Jul 11 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I particularily liked this guys one:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2568799

quote:
Last month my revenue was shy of $35,000, pretty minor expenses, and it's basically passive.
I sell a combination of e-books and physical books, I have a few dozen titles...
I do most of my volume through e-book reader sales like kindle. A lot of people do this whole "launch formula" thing with e-books, but I've never tried that, I just pick topics that gets decent google juice and let organic search bring in people to the sales site. I also pick topics that aren't covered, or at least not well cover, on amazon and the like.

Whitte are you taking notes

- Seems genius, monitor the market / searches for books in a particular niche - research that niche and write an ebook on it, then publish it on amazon ebook system.

The result is, people continue searching for book / ebooks on that niche (as they were before) - but now you've placed a book at the top spot for their search results. Boom, guaranteed sales and profit.
BluKoo

20th Jul 11 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish I had a better idea of what to do with my money. Now i've actually spend a little time looking at it all its not that impressive.

Maybe I should just buy a flat...
spencer88

20th Jul 11 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know what to look for in a flat as an investment?
BluKoo

20th Jul 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just somewhere in a good location which is going to attract lodgers for years and years to come.
My town would be perfect as its continually growing and property prices are rising all the time.

I'd just want to make sure it was high enough above sea level so there was no risk of flooding.

A2H GO

20th Jul 11 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

also Ian, some of his larger amounts there - e.g. £8k are only earning 0.20% - he'd earn more than that on it from a high street bank.

I'd personally look to invest it into potential business ideas that can grow into passive side incomes, like many of people on this thread:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2567487

Loads of people on there earning $1000-$15000 a month from side line passive businesses which probably cost just a few thousand to really get up and running.

The amount of people making $1000+ a month from shitty apps on there is unreal.

[Edited on 20-07-2011 by A2H GO]
spencer88

20th Jul 11 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just somewhere in a good location which is going to attract lodgers for years and years to come.

My town would be perfect as its continually growing and property prices are rising all the time.

I would say you possibly do not know what to look for, so would therefore not recommend it for you.

Paul_J

20th Jul 11 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

It's a sensible option, providing you buy one in a location you like and that you'd be happy to live in yourself one day.

Essentially the people that get burnt by property are the ones who buy the properties solely to make money and would have no intention to live in that place themselves.

If the house market crashes, you've still got a nice flat you want to live in - where as if you own a load of properties solely for rental / re sale purposes that are shitty in crap locations, then you potentially end up with a mortgage paying for some dead weight place you can't sell or rent.

Until I know where I want to live, I won't be buying a property - not unless the market picks back up. I think last year house prices fell by 4% - while inflation rose, meaning that your money has lost quite a bit of real value (from an investment point of view).

I think from an investment point of view, your best bet would be doing what James suggested and giving it to a portfolio manager.
spencer88

20th Jul 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

It's a sensible option, providing you buy one in a location you like and that you'd be happy to live in yourself one day.

Essentially the people that get burnt by property are the ones who buy the properties solely to make money and would have no intention to live in that place themselves.

If the house market crashes, you've still got a nice flat you want to live in - where as if you own a load of properties solely for rental / re sale purposes that are shitty in crap locations, then you potentially end up with a mortgage paying for some dead weight place you can't sell or rent.

Until I know where I want to live, I won't be buying a property - not unless the market picks back up. I think last year house prices fell by 4% - while inflation rose, meaning that your money has lost quite a bit of real value (from an investment point of view).

I think from an investment point of view, your best bet would be doing what James suggested and giving it to a portfolio manager.

But the thing is, if you do not need to sell your house, you have not really lost money as it is still costing the same.

Now is the best time to buy, whilst markets are terrible and interest rates are low.

Also Paul how you say now is the wrong time to buy gets me, as you then say when the market starts picking up you will buy. Err when the market picks up you are going to pay more for a property than you would now???
John

20th Jul 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
quote:

I would say you possibly do not know what to look for, so would therefore not recommend it for you.

If the money is sitting there doing nothing anyway all it has to be is something that will most likely go up in value over time.

Rental income isn't a massive worry if you've not mortgaged it.

Obviously a good rental will make you more though.
Colin

20th Jul 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, if I had 100k I'd use it to pay off my mortgage. Would then save around 7k a year in payments and interest.

Totally don't see the point in investments if I've got loans to counteract them.
A2H GO

20th Jul 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
quote:

If the money is sitting there doing nothing anyway all it has to be is something that will most likely go up in value over time.

Rental income isn't a massive worry if you've not mortgaged it.

Obviously a good rental will make you more though.

Even if it doesn't go up invalue, with no morgate and £500 rent pm, surely its a better option than earning pittance on a savings account.
spencer88

20th Jul 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I meant was it is not worth Blukoo going looking, he should go to an estate agents or similar for them to find him a property and manage it on his behalf.
A2H GO

20th Jul 11 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » If you had 100k, how would you make it grow? 23 database queries in 0.0145180 seconds