corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another 'what car thread'....4x4

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another 'what car thread'....4x4
Lynny

User status: Offline
5th Sep 11 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nearest to me isn't a massive issue, can get a lift pretty much anywhere if the price is right. Was after any common issues in certain models etc. Had some great advice, thanks guys
Steve
Premium Member

5th Sep 11 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who r u?
recarouk

5th Sep 11 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
who r u?

some bloke who wants a 4X4
Lynny

5th Sep 11 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

recarouk

5th Sep 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lynny

whats up chap?
DAZ1985

5th Sep 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp

Ive owned one (actually still do but thats another story) and used one for offroading, a couple of the engines are bullet proof 2.0 8v and the isuzu 2.8 (becoming a fairly common conversion for landys apparently), they are cheap because they are underrated as a car, except for things I have broke offroading ( a diff) all mine has needed was a set of rear brakes and it got driven hard.
A mate of mine has now got a big spec defender and has had a couple of fronteras and he still says he prefers them to landys, but there isn't enough aftermarket parts for them i.e no cages, no winch bumpers, very few snorkels unless you import the parts.

If their that good why would a friend have a big spec defender at a fair sized cost (if this is actually true) and prefer the frontera?

Why not spec the frontera? instead of wasting money on something supposedly not as good?
harrisp

5th Sep 11 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DAZ1985
quote:

Ive owned one (actually still do but thats another story) and used one for offroading, a couple of the engines are bullet proof 2.0 8v and the isuzu 2.8 (becoming a fairly common conversion for landys apparently), they are cheap because they are underrated as a car, except for things I have broke offroading ( a diff) all mine has needed was a set of rear brakes and it got driven hard.
A mate of mine has now got a big spec defender and has had a couple of fronteras and he still says he prefers them to landys, but there isn't enough aftermarket parts for them i.e no cages, no winch bumpers, very few snorkels unless you import the parts.

If their that good why would a friend have a big spec defender at a fair sized cost (if this is actually true) and prefer the frontera?

Why not spec the frontera? instead of wasting money on something supposedly not as good?

Ok im lying, dont bother reading on.
There isn't parts for fronteras and they aren't as good off road as a landy but they will do more than what 99% of drivers will ever throw at them. They are underrated 4x4s, they are nicer to drive on road than a defender or a disco better specced than any defender and majority of discos and a lot more reliable.
I cant be bothered to argue more with you and your shitty biased opinions when I have driven landys and fronteras extensively amongst other 4x4s in situations that most people haven't.
I really like discoverys so Im not landy bashing.
Corsa_Sport21

5th Sep 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daihatsu Fourtrack.
Tiger

5th Sep 11 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may laugh but get a Lada Niva - they are like tanks and go forever, cheap to run and to buy.
Lynny

5th Sep 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never heard of one Tiger!
Tiger

5th Sep 11 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check them out, seriously, they really are good motors and I HATE any other Lada!

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews5148.html

[Edited on 05-09-2011 by Tiger]
Tomnova16
Premium Member

5th Sep 11 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carrera 4

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
taylorboosh

5th Sep 11 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Frontera imo
recarouk

6th Sep 11 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isuzu troopers and Vauxhall Montereys are fairly cheap now, a lot of motor for the money. and great for pulling horse boxes
harrisp

6th Sep 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by recarouk
isuzu troopers and Vauxhall Montereys are fairly cheap now, a lot of motor for the money. and great for pulling horse boxes

Not that mechanically different to fronteras so they are wank if you listen to the know it alls of CS
richc

6th Sep 11 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
landrover discovery.

Will be a nail for a grand.

Just picked one up, a 300 series converted to lpg this weekend. P reg. Got a couple of dints, but its no 'nail'.
harrisp

6th Sep 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
quote:
landrover discovery.

Just picked one up, a 300 series converted to lpg this weekend. P reg. Got a couple of dints, but its no 'nail'.

You can get decent ones for cheap if you are lucky but the majority for a grand are fucked.

Boot floor, inner arches, outriggers etc are usually rusted through.
3CorsaMeal

6th Sep 11 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3100525.htm
recarouk

6th Sep 11 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Not that mechanically different to fronteras so they are wank if you listen to the know it alls of CS

i didnt think frontera's were that bad off road?
DaveyLC

6th Sep 11 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

They are actually really good, just a shame they havent got a locking diff.
recarouk

6th Sep 11 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have seen a few in action and tbh i was surprised they could cope with most of the stuff the bigger landies could. it was only when they got into the really thick deep mud that they started to struggle. but so did some of the landies one dude was saying his defender could do anything and go anywhere, he got stuck and had to be pulled out by landcruiser, he wasnt happy
john_c20xe

6th Sep 11 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
quote:
landrover discovery.

You can get decent ones for cheap if you are lucky but the majority for a grand are fucked.

Boot floor, inner arches, outriggers etc are usually rusted through.

dont agree at all with you there i payed £750 for my 200 tdi discovery, yes they are shit offroad without some all terrain tyres or mud tyres fitted to them but then thats the same with most 4x4s

it totaly depends how serious your are about offroading, i go to alot of pay and play days and you wouldnt have a chance in a standard 4x4 no matter if it was a frontera land rover or what ever.
i fitted a 2 inch lift kit and some 235/85/16 tyres chopped aload of useless crap off like plastic parts that fall off offroading anyway.

you could just buy something cheap and fit a winch?
ive had a fair few suzukis sj's vitaras ect yes they are great offroad as they are light but i dout you will be driving home after a days offroading, ive had clutches diffs all sorts breaking. plus the low box isnt low enough on gearing where the landrovers have a nice slow low range and a diff lock

also i depends on the drivers skill. you may think you can drive untill someone actually teaches you. i learnt a hell of alot from an offroading day.
john_c20xe

6th Sep 11 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres some pics of my previous disco to show what they can do;

and this one is from when i got well and truly stuck wishing i had a winch, grounded out with all four wheels spining

harrisp

6th Sep 11 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was being sarcastic, Ive owned and used one for offroading but I was on about the fact that plenty of people bad mouth a car they have never had any experience with.
john_c20xe

6th Sep 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you want something diesel with a good amount of power mine was a 2.5 td the fuel pumps are easy to modify and so is the waste gate for my fuel and boost.

ive been in muddy water thats come up over the bonnet and nearly covered the mirrors and its always been alright only trouble is the carpets get wet and thats when panels start rusting as the carpet doesnt dry.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another 'what car thread'....4x4 23 database queries in 0.2884901 seconds