corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Petroleum Engineering

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Petroleum Engineering
stuartmitchell

User status: Offline
14th Oct 11 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They said 10 years ago the North Sea was on it's last legs and it's all doom and gloom but in reality there will be Oil coming from the North Sea until 2040 at a very minimum.

The thing you have to remember is that as new technologies emerge they will be able to hit more complex reservoirs previously out of reach (who would of been able to drill in 10000ft of water and hit Oil a further 5 miles below the surface in the 60's?)

All the easy stuff has been brought up thats true but theres plenty more there to keep us all going for a long time yet!

Regarding the guys asking about certs. I would recommend getting in touch with Opito to see what your local colleges can offer. I believe Warash (sp) is the centre near Blackpool.
AK

14th Oct 11 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
It's not all about working offshore. If you've got quals in engineering you can work anywhere in the country contracting and still earn at least £30-50/hr, obviously depending on what kind of engineer you are.

I'm not talking about offshore.... just in a more lucrative field of engineering.

A contractor designing unbilicals for a rig will pay alot more than a guy designing a hoover.

30-50hr = £1750 a week, 91k a year working 52 weeks, 5 days a year. Good money, yes, but more to be had elsewhere.

£1000 a day isnt unheard of for day rates....

I wish I saw a little more of my charge out rates £1200 or so a day
stuartmitchell

14th Oct 11 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best rate I've heard so far was a Lead Saturation Diver - £1700 a day...

I'm sure there is senior engineers onshore Nigeria on £2000 a day too.

chrisd1983

14th Oct 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
quote:
Originally posted by chrisd1983
So question I got is would be as simple as doing a a offshore rig survival course and making use of my qualifications? Does it matter if your not within a certain distance of a rig aswell?

In my experience, putting yourself through the course is a waste of money. It's about £1000 max IIRC for the BOSIET + MIST which is pennies for these companies - they'll make that back, or near enough, on your on your first trip offshore.

We have nearly 1000 offshore personnel of various disciplines who come from all over the UK working on a rota or ad-hoc basis. So I would say your location is unimportant, as long as you are available for check-in on the date and time you are given, they generally don't give a shit.

Cheers mate, I'll look into it alot more.
AK

14th Oct 11 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back to what you were saying about new technologies extending the life of fields...

Very Much so... and this is related to my work

I've been involved with the Clair field since 2006 I think it was... Life Of Field Seismic surveys on there, and more recently expansion out onto the ridge... where they are now plooping the new rig.

Seismic tech is getting more advanced - new fields are still being discovered.
Monitoring (via seismic) is getting more prevalent so fields are being sustained rather than just shut down/sold as 'unrecoverable'. This montoring helps well engineers plan new wells, water injection etc etc

Its all linked to a healthy oil price too though. Low Oil price = lots of oil that isnt worth recovering. High oil price = lots of budget for expensive oil (deep, lower quality heavy oil etc)

Plenty life left in the north sea..... plenty oil left in the world (for now... new recoverables are matching the decline just now so its steady)
Brett
Premium Member

14th Oct 11 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
quote:
Originally posted by Brett
It's not all about working offshore. If you've got quals in engineering you can work anywhere in the country contracting and still earn at least £30-50/hr, obviously depending on what kind of engineer you are.

I'm not talking about offshore.... just in a more lucrative field of engineering.

A contractor designing unbilicals for a rig will pay alot more than a guy designing a hoover.

30-50hr = £1750 a week, 91k a year working 52 weeks, 5 days a year. Good money, yes, but more to be had elsewhere.

£1000 a day isnt unheard of for day rates....

I wish I saw a little more of my charge out rates £1200 or so a day

Wasn't aimed at you and I did say "at least". I know what rates can be had.
AK

14th Oct 11 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used the top end of your scale......

either way I find it hard to believe that a civil structural engineer would do as well in that field rather than moving to contracting (onshore) in oil and gas.

I could be wrong - i havent looked into rates, just know what friends and family earn for example.

[Edited on 14-10-2011 by AK]
AK

14th Oct 11 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS - for a Petroleum Engineer (reservoir engineer) i'd a geo sciences background may be more useful.

GeoPhysicist for example
Hammer

14th Oct 11 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell
They said 10 years ago the North Sea was on it's last legs and it's all doom and gloom but in reality there will be Oil coming from the North Sea until 2040 at a very minimum.

The thing you have to remember is that as new technologies emerge they will be able to hit more complex reservoirs previously out of reach (who would of been able to drill in 10000ft of water and hit Oil a further 5 miles below the surface in the 60's?)

All the easy stuff has been brought up thats true but theres plenty more there to keep us all going for a long time yet!

Regarding the guys asking about certs. I would recommend getting in touch with Opito to see what your local colleges can offer. I believe Warash (sp) is the centre near Blackpool.

Best stat is there is more known oil in the North Sea now than has been extracted, which is a figure which increases as technology does.
stuartmitchell

14th Oct 11 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
Back to what you were saying about new technologies extending the life of fields...

Very Much so... and this is related to my work

I've been involved with the Clair field since 2006 I think it was... Life Of Field Seismic surveys on there, and more recently expansion out onto the ridge... where they are now plooping the new rig.

Seismic tech is getting more advanced - new fields are still being discovered.
Monitoring (via seismic) is getting more prevalent so fields are being sustained rather than just shut down/sold as 'unrecoverable'. This montoring helps well engineers plan new wells, water injection etc etc

Its all linked to a healthy oil price too though. Low Oil price = lots of oil that isnt worth recovering. High oil price = lots of budget for expensive oil (deep, lower quality heavy oil etc)

Plenty life left in the north sea..... plenty oil left in the world (for now... new recoverables are matching the decline just now so its steady)

totally agree on the price of Oil aspect!

The seismic stuff they can do now is awesome, would love to learn more about that. And how you interpret it all is way beyond me
ed

14th Oct 11 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
Apparently I'll have the right degree to become a graduate Petroleum Engineer with BP soon. Is there anymore information about what the job of a Petroleum Engineer actually is about? The BP website is pretty brief on it.

Nice one, I got rejected by BP on the grounds that an BEng was insufficient...never mind

The Clair extension project will need plenty engineers so now is the time to strike if you ask me. I've also heard there are some plans for the Schiehallion field - plenty work out there.

Was just going off the info on their site, in all probability they would probably choose someone with better/more relevant quals over me - my first degree was in Industrial Design and my PhD is in Mech. Eng.
AK

14th Oct 11 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe have a look into SubSea engineering or pipeline then
Ellis

14th Oct 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's where I want to end up - waiting to hear back from Subsea7 at the moment.
stuartmitchell

14th Oct 11 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently FMC Technolgies are looking to take on over 200 engineers in the next few years too. Maybe worth giving them a shot (if not done so already) for the subsea systems stuff?
Xs

14th Oct 11 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That's where I want to end up - waiting to hear back from Subsea7 at the moment.

I was going to apply to do surveying for subsea7 but dont think I fancy living in Norway!

AK - how did you get into what you do with a computer degree? I always assumed you'd have done some kind of engineering.

Stuart - Out of interest how much of the 2000 a day fee would the person actually see? Might need to practice my swimming
stuartmitchell

14th Oct 11 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Subsea 7 have offices in London, Aberdeen and Glasgow buddy!

That day rate of £2000 is what the employee earns mate. However your talking a very very senior position for that. Plus a lot of that is danger money living in down town Lagos
Xs

14th Oct 11 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

That day rate of £2000 is what the employee earns mate. However your talking a very very senior position for that. Plus a lot of that is danger money living in down town Lagos

Post I can apply for is in Norway sadly (quantity surveying) so not sure I'd want to take the plunge as apparently is very expensive to live over there and cold...

Whats the rotation on that kind of post? £2000 a day is nuts, I'd take my chances in Lagos!
cavmad

14th Oct 11 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sod working in Nigeria/Niger Delta, very dodgy ground that so the money would need to be mint.
I suppose it's good news about plenty more resource in the North Sea but I'd guess at least one major 'user' of the product from there may be going elsewhere for supplies before too long.

As for living miles from Aberdeen, surely you could get a cheap bedsit or whatever? Stay on the rig for your shift pattern and every second set of days off communte back home using the bed sit as a stop gap?
stuartmitchell

14th Oct 11 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
quote:

Post I can apply for is in Norway sadly (quantity surveying) so not sure I'd want to take the plunge as apparently is very expensive to live over there and cold...

Whats the rotation on that kind of post? £2000 a day is nuts, I'd take my chances in Lagos!

Would be a residential post for that sort of ££ buddy so home for your holidays and that would be that! Usually the guys live in "secure" compounds or ex pat hotels.
LeeM

14th Oct 11 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stick me on a rig for a couple of weeks at a time ill be happy. got mates that do it unqualified and earn a few grand a time.
Ellis

14th Oct 11 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cavmad
As for living miles from Aberdeen, surely you could get a cheap bedsit or whatever? Stay on the rig for your shift pattern and every second set of days off communte back home using the bed sit as a stop gap?

Most companies will put you in a hotel for the night if you get home at an anti-social time. Came from an incident years ago with a Petrofac employee IIRC who fell asleep at the wheel driving home because they wouldn't put him up in a hotel. I'm not sure if it's an OCA agreement though.
AK

14th Oct 11 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Norway would be a brilliant place to live.... I'd really like to live there at some point. Spent a lot of time in Stavanger in the past (almost half my time for 3 years). Stavanger, Bergen, Oslo and Kristiansand (or sund... the northern one!) this year but not long stays.

Yes - its pretty expensive to live there BUT you get pretty damn good wages and you can see what the taxes are used for. Nice place.... and if you are single... get there asap

I was in Bergen for Norwegian national day this year - CHAOS!

Places I'd re-locate for Norway, Singapore, KL, Paris, Japan (never been but just interested in the place)

My work is in Edinburgh but I live in Aberdeen, most meetings and stuff we do via gotomettings or just phone conferencing etc.

[Edited on 14-10-2011 by AK]
Xs

14th Oct 11 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The post is in Stavanger, might look into it. I just assumed it might be a shit place to relocate to tbh

Althought the application does ask why you're interested in the position, guessing "because it pays more than the construction industry" isnt what they are looking for!
AK

14th Oct 11 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stavanger is nice.

I managed to get banned from the Mexican restraunt on the harbour front for about half a year In the same place Fee thought it would be a good idea to order cocktail shaker after shaker (something called a short walk in a long field or the other way around). £50 a pop and it was on my bloody expenses card :O

Loads of good bars and such on the weekend - not much nightlife during the week. Warmer than Scotland in the Summer, more wintery than Scotland wet winters too (i.e more crisp snow). Close to good skiing.

If you move to Norway for any length of time you'd need get your self a boat (to drive to the pub) and a log cabin in fjords for the weekends - its the done thing.
WATSON

14th Oct 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just landed in Norway today, Working for subsea7 at there vigra spoolbase.

First time been out working away from home, Id hate to live here in norway everything is just stupid priced

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Petroleum Engineering 22 database queries in 0.0265510 seconds