corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » how hard are degrees ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how hard are degrees ?
sxibeast

User status: Offline
25th Oct 11 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the chartered engineers at my work have Masters minimum and around 85% of them have PhDs!

Im doing a BEng (finish 2014) with a two year top up to Masters at the end. After that, as long as i am in some sort of management position i should be ok to apply for chartered. One thing IMechE said to me however, was that to get at least Incorporated status i must be out of the machine shop and managing a team/person first.

[Edited on 25-10-2011 by sxibeast]
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah as others have said, I could stop at 3 years and leave with a BEng but if I stay for the 4th year I'll leave with an MEng which is far more valuable in my opinion.

Plus it's a set course at my Uni so I will get student finance funding for it instead of having to find a load of sponsorship like other Master's degrees. So it wouldn't make sense not to get it.

MX5 Project Thread
Robbo

25th Oct 11 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by ed
You need to sort out that chip on your shoulder. Bitter people tend to get more and more miserable, it's not healthy and it's only university. You've got your whole life to do whatever you like with.
what he should have done is just worked harder and got a better grade

[/popcorn.gif]

probably

(The only people who got better than me were French and they're just, well, better all round)
i was on the wind dw
LeeM

25th Oct 11 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
Yeah as others have said, I could stop at 3 years and leave with a BEng but if I stay for the 4th year I'll leave with an MEng which is far more valuable in my opinion.

Plus it's a set course at my Uni so I will get student finance funding for it instead of having to find a load of sponsorship like other Master's degrees. So it wouldn't make sense not to get it.

what uni are you at? my unis the same but i started late so ill be 28 as it is when i get my BEng, dunno if i fancy another year on top
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Oct 11 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21

what uni are you at? my unis the same but i started late so ill be 28 as it is when i get my BEng, dunno if i fancy another year on top

I'm at the University of Warwick.

And it's definitely worth the extra year. 28 is still very young in terms of your working life and so for the sake of one extra year it's definitely worth it in the long run I think. Especially as it's an opportunity to get it for much less than £10k or whatever a normal Master's year costs.

It will open more doors and make it an even more valuable degree assuming you'll get a good grade.

Even if I was your age, there are just too many plus sides to having a Master's in Engineering that I personally wouldn't be able to turn the opportunity down.

MX5 Project Thread
sxibeast

26th Oct 11 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt worry about being 28 when you complete your degree!

Im 29 in about 2 weeks and dont finish the degree til Dec 2014! Saying that, on my course there are alot of people much older than me! Im one of the young ones!
Lynny

26th Oct 11 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it all works out, I finish mine in 2021
Mase
Premium Member

26th Oct 11 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sxibeast
All the chartered engineers at my work have Masters minimum and around 85% of them have PhDs!

Im doing a BEng (finish 2014) with a two year top up to Masters at the end. After that, as long as i am in some sort of management position i should be ok to apply for chartered. One thing IMechE said to me however, was that to get at least Incorporated status i must be out of the machine shop and managing a team/person first.

[Edited on 25-10-2011 by sxibeast]

the IMechE do recommend the MEng as a minimum acedemic requirement as I understand it. If you choose the MPDS route offered by the IMechE, you have to have an MEng I believe. I did my 5 years and got my MEng, although I wouldn't say it was any harder to do than the 2nd or 4th year of the BEng degree.

[Edited on 26-10-2011 by Mase]

Mase

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » how hard are degrees ? 23 database queries in 0.1253841 seconds