corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car...........

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car...........
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Oct 11 at 23:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh another one

Changing the engine on an old Micra, we'd got the new engine in, box on but no drive shafts. Started it to check it was running alright not realising the other lad I was working with had knocked it into gear when reattaching the linkage, que the diff making it's escape through the casing leaving a 3inch round hole in the gearbox.
big eck

27th Oct 11 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left my work one night in a right pissed off mood and the old Corsa had a bulb out on the dash next to the ignition key area. I lost my cool and punched the dash hoping it would come back on and my jacket sleeve caught the indicator stalk snapping it clean off and jamming the lights on high beam. I blinded everyone on the way home and was slightly pissed about it
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Oct 11 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This page is so far
Darrell16v

27th Oct 11 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had to change a cavaliers rear springs as they were cut lol

Raided all cars at the house of their wind up jacks. Put one under each side when wheels were off and it started swaying side to side, then fell off onto the ground breaking the two jacks and it sitting on it's brake disks Brand new trolley jack was bought within an hour.

Also let my corsa down on an axle stand, nice big dent in the sill

And was acting the lad in my 316 in the snow in our yard ended up sliding straight into a pillar
Twitch

27th Oct 11 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a few at my work.
Once had a tranist connect gear box fall onto my hand which cut through my little finger >.<

We have russians come down every month to pick up transit engines and part as well. Once was helping them carry a gear box to the van and on the count of 3 they decided to drop it down. Only thing was they forgot i didnt understand russian! And that was the second time i went to hospital for a sliced hand.

Also got a lad at my work which was sorting out a van for M.O.T . Took him 3 attempts to fix the hand brake. On the last attempt he forgot to put 3 of the wheel nuts back in so failed anyway. Boss was not too happy.

Not really car related but down my yard we were taking down and old unit and my bosses old man ( is about 86 ) decided to get the fork lift out ( big off road can lift lorrys type ) one thing lead to another and the back wall of one of the sheds had a fork lift in it
Many others but cant think off of the top of my head.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 23:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yet more remembered

Changing the steering wheel in my old Corsa. I tried numerous different tactics to try and get it to loosen off and in the process managed to push against my sunvisor till I heard the mirror smash.

Spending somewhere in the region of 2 hours battling trying to remove a front tie bar mount bush, then once finally removed, I found that the poly bush I had to replace it was wrong and the scrappies had closed for the day so my car had to be left on an axle stand in front of our loading door until I'd been to the scrappies for a replacement
n1tr0u5

27th Oct 11 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was trying to get some wheels off my old corsa and the wheel nuts had completly seized, after trying every which way of getting them off (soaking them in wd40 etc) I figured i'd start jumping on the tyre iron. Suddenly it came loose spun the tyre iron 360 degrees hitting me in the back of the leg which made me fall over, faceplant my mums car and set her alarm off .

Was one of the most painful yet funniest things i've ever done
Rob B

27th Oct 11 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ash shot me in the head with a spring, now we know why spring compressors were invented.

[Edited on 27-10-2011 by Rob B]

[Edited on 27-10-2011 by Rob B]
FAZ
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 00:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jack almost going through rusty floor pan, as i misaligned it

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by FAZ]
FAZ
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 00:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and lol +1 with the no spring compressor spring change, OE springs it apperas are bolted down under sme cray tensions haha
Twiggy

28th Oct 11 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
Where's twiggy

I am here!!!

Pics speak a thou words!!

Ben G

28th Oct 11 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol
harrisp

28th Oct 11 at 04:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was being rushed to get my car back together by a mate in his garage, put wheel on and let the jack down, I thought my front wheel had a lot more camber and was sitting a lot lower
I had only put one strut/hub bolt back in fucked my driveshaft too.
Generation

28th Oct 11 at 06:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spending ages to remove rocker cover on xe use crew drivers rubber mallet etc to try pry it off. Gave up, tried methods again, mate come round and I left one bolt in it:/
richc

28th Oct 11 at 06:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by n1tr0u5
Was trying to get some wheels off my old corsa and the wheel nuts had completly seized, after trying every which way of getting them off (soaking them in wd40 etc) I figured i'd start jumping on the tyre iron. Suddenly it came loose spun the tyre iron 360 degrees hitting me in the back of the leg which made me fall over, faceplant my mums car and set her alarm off .

Was one of the most painful yet funniest things i've ever done

That sounds brilliant.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 06:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been thinking what I have done and I remembered it.
Had a mustang Eleanor rep in last year and starter solenoid was buggered so had to start
It by bridging the solenoid.
It was auto and I was reversing out the workshop and it stalled.
So I jumped out shut the door went under bonnet and started it.
It was still in reverse disconnecting battery obviously did nothing and
as I didn't want to crush the door against the workshop door had to dive through
The window to turn off ignition (it's on other side)
Luckily I had moved a car from opposite the door as that's where I
Usually park two cars.
That's pretty much the only incident though

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by Tomnova16]

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
JordyCarter

28th Oct 11 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putting seats in the car couldnt get 1 bolt in so i just left it (one of the front ones, stupid i know) about 2 weeks later im sat in the car not driving luckly and my seat falls back. Im sat in the carpark with my feet facing the roof. Ultimate recliner sport seat lols
Steve
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 07:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a weird one

was trying to get the metal cup off the top of the suspension turret under the bonnet, when all of a sudden the top mount started smoking, i stood there for about 5 seconds looking at it thinking WTF how can that be smoking theres nothing there to catch fire or no cause for fire either.

Then realised id laid the long swan neck spanner down and it was touching live on battery and earthed on the turret

laid a gearbox down on its side to undo a bolt whilst it wasnt drained properly = oil all over the workshop floor, to top it off didnt notice for ages so plenty came out.

Think i can speak for Tony on this one, with him setting fire to the sound deadning behind my dash whilst welding, didnt notice it for a while so got to quite a blaze behind there
Fro

28th Oct 11 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spinning a wheel with my finger on a spoke to try and hear a noise. Didnt remove finger and it got caught between the wheel and caliper.

Finger has healed with a scar and is slightly bent chicks dig it
Mr-SEH

28th Oct 11 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got my 2.0 up and rnning had put new brakes on got in drove car down garages and tapped brakes nuffin ripped handbrake back locks up slid into high kerb reverse off to hear my front end sound like its being ripped off had a look no damage bled brakes straight away.
left sump nut loose looked at it 2 days later had a odd feeling it was hanging out.
changing clutch on my own dropped f15 box on my arm as under car soon as it pinned me to floor head went up and smashed underside couldent move had to wait for a neighbour to come help me ha car was left for 2 days .
pulled driveshaft to get it put box drive shaft came cv joint never
the list is endless over the years!
Mr-SEH

28th Oct 11 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

running*
Steve
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 07:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and also not a ballsup as such but a stupid shit your pants moment.

after spent all that time rebuilding that gearbox with the diff in, spent 2 days doing that removing old box and fitting this new one

then with front wheels off the ground started car to test, slowly built up the revs in 1st then clunk clunk bang bang from gear box, fuck, thought diff or something was banging against the case.

turned off checked all shafts were in fully etc started again, same thing.

then after a while of fucking about and resigning myself to the fact the box was going to have to come back off, had a thought it might be traction control kicking in as the front wheels would have been spinning but no movement in rear wheels would have been detected.

turns out i was right and it was fine

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dropped a washer down spark plug hole in 106 gti.

spent a while trying to obtain it using various magnets, no joy,.

just thought fucking it and started it, car banged and vibrated for a while then it ran fine ever since must have welded itself to the head.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 07:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got my cock stuck in aux belt
Ben J

28th Oct 11 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
Spinning a wheel with my finger on a spoke to try and hear a noise. Didnt remove finger and it got caught between the wheel and caliper.

Finger has healed with a scar and is slightly bent chicks dig it

Ow fucking ow

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car........... 23 database queries in 0.0130291 seconds