corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » strikes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author strikes
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
26th Nov 11 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
Police are looking at a 2yr pay freeze on increments, as well as no inflation based payrise. We are also having to increase our pension contribution from 9.5% of wages to upto 14%. I have to work a 35yr contract meaning i will not retire until i am 61 as a minimum. I also am facing overtime cuts. Often our job necessitates overtime having to deal with victims, prisoners, urgent incidents. We are looking at losing £1000s per year. I stand to lose around £5000 over the next two years.

Ask yourselves this - would you do the job the Police do for under £30k? In recent weeks I have seen colleagues attacked, bitten by dogs, rammed by criminals, punched, kicked, spat at and generally abused - by the public. Knowing what I know now, I would seriously question applying for the job again. However, I do it, and enjoy it as much as possible. The pay scale does not reflect the type of work we do. When you are moaning no-one has found who nicked your stereo, or robbed your gran etc etc then blame the government for cutting Police funding and numbers.

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by gtitim]

oh please

traffic wardens take more abuse and earn less and have less job benefits.
Jules S
Premium Member

26th Nov 11 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaDave
What I do see is massive waste in other areas. My son has just started primary school and, at a relatively small village school, every class has a teaching assistant(who are also strking next week) alongside the regular teacher. Where is the money for this coming from? I don't remember a single teaching assistant from my primary school days so why do we need them now?
[Edited on 26-11-2011 by CorsaDave]

Jesus

I hope your son is a quick learner who won't need the help of a teaching assistant if he starts lagging behind the others
Dave

26th Nov 11 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So do I. They have little or no real qualifications and the one I know who works in the same school has the worst spelling of anyone I've ever met. Anyone who can't tell the difference between loose/lose, bored/board and spells tired tiered should not be working in education.
JaffaTB

26th Nov 11 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i might have the day off work, got Skyrim to play on
taylorboosh

26th Nov 11 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No fishing mate
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Nov 11 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't have a teaching assistant in any of my classes, my teacher kept everyone at pace.

I also had the support of my parents in my education.

And the Police not being able to change their working conditions? Resign.

Everyone has a choice, it's a marketplace. If you don't like the job you're in do something else. I worked with lots and lots of work shy, incompetent people who used to moan regularly about conditions. I told them to resign if they weren't happy and guess what they still work there.

I'm in the IGU and whenever the issue of pay and conditions has come up, they dealt with it head on, not faffing about having a skive.
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Nov 11 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Anyone who can't tell the difference between loose/lose, bored/board and spells tired tiered should not be working in education.

You're not even scratching the surface. I had 18 year olds who had never been out of education who couldn't spell or string a sentence together. I've no idea what the educational sector was doing, but it wasn't imparting any grasp of English on pupils.
Dave

26th Nov 11 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was a worse example than that but I can't think of it off the top of my head. It was on a Facebook status but wasn't a typo as she repeated it, even though someone in the same conversation spelled it correctly.
Dave

26th Nov 11 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got it, can't was written as carnt
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Nov 11 at 23:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not talking about typos either, I'm talking about a genuine inability to actually put a concept over in a clear way.

The odd spelling mistake isn't at all the full story.
neil h

26th Nov 11 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
And the Police not being able to change their working conditions? Resign.

Everyone has a choice, it's a marketplace. If you don't like the job you're in do something else. I worked with lots and lots of work shy, incompetent people who used to moan regularly about conditions. I told them to resign if they weren't happy and guess what they still work there.

Wow that's quite a simplistic view of things. Think we all know it's very rarely as simple as 'oh I don't like the working conditions so I'll resign'.

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by neil h]
Russ

26th Nov 11 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It isn't any more complicated, if you earn a wage which you deem low for the work you do, move to a job where you feel the pay reflects the work
neil h

26th Nov 11 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you'd rather work a job you hated that paid a proportionate amount, rather than something you'd enjoy that paid less?
Dave

26th Nov 11 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely that's up to you and what drives you. Not sure of the relevance to what Ian and Russ have posted though.
Russ

26th Nov 11 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on a) if i could survive on the lower money b)if i thought the new job would give me more happiness/satisfaction

it is not unheard of for people to quit there high paid jobs to becomes nurses etc as they feel they want to help people
Russ

26th Nov 11 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Surely that's up to you and what drives you. Not sure of the relevance to what Ian and Russ have posted though.
sorry, i meant to put "Fuck Labour" to get your approval
neil h

26th Nov 11 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Read it again perfectly relevant.
Dave

26th Nov 11 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't mean the relevance of your reply to the thread, I meant Neil's post had little to do with what you and Ian were saying.
Dave

27th Nov 11 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:

Read it again perfectly relevant.

How? Neither said you should do a job you didn't like for more money or that you should choose between a job you like or one that pays well.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Nov 11 at 00:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mean you like most of the job but not the pension bit so you inconvenience the rest of the country to make a point?

And cost yourself a day's wage in to the bargain?

I just don't think it's a great approach.
taylorboosh

27th Nov 11 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think its the unions fault tbh
Steve
Premium Member

27th Nov 11 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree tbh
Russ

27th Nov 11 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is the beauty of public sector though Shell, you dont have to put up with anything that you didnt agree to do in your contract. you cannot be punished for not doing work outside your JD. Although, these strikes are over pensions, not working conditions
mattk

27th Nov 11 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
some working conditions are piss poor right now and to say

discribe "piss poor"
LeeM

27th Nov 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
quote:
Originally posted by Shell
some working conditions are piss poor right now and to say

discribe "piss poor"

No xbox's and having to look after ill people.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » strikes 22 database queries in 0.0133250 seconds