corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Orange price increases

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Orange price increases
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
28th Nov 11 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure if you can sell people a phone with fewer features at a higher price, you can also tell them they've fewer legal rights and they'll also go for that

Might have a different shop policy but your rights wouldn't change and you can renege on a contract during its early stages.

Consumer Credit Directive is your man because it's a credit agreement.
John

28th Nov 11 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phones4U will be saying that because they'll buy the iPhone's separate to the contract and they won't be able to send the iPhone back to Apple if you've opened it, or sell it to someone else brand new.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Nov 11 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
being informed' of a planned rise that quickly after signing up to a contract would leave a bitter taste surely
Undoubtedly, but it's obviously a company-wide decision and preferable to per-user notifications at the end of the deal.

Ideally they would just do it for new business but I wouldn't imagine that is a good enough percentage of their income.
RichR
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can 'aparently' renege the contract in the cooling off period, but not the phone - which as part of the contract made no sense to me. I don't plan to do so in the first 14days anyway but I suspect the tattood 12year old who was working hadn't understood whatever he'd been told
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Nov 11 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Phones4U will be saying that because they'll buy the iPhone's separate to the contract and they won't be able to send the iPhone back to Apple if you've opened it, or sell it to someone else brand new.
You have the right to inspect if it was posted to you though, so long as you don't use it.

The only time you couldn't do it is if you collected in a shop and the credit agreement was not related to the product - which I don't see that it can be - do they sell you a SIM on credit and a handset for the subsidised cost of it?

If you collected in the shop and it's SIM-free they are correct, you're not protected in law.
John

28th Nov 11 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know they can't enforce what they are saying here, that's probably the reason though.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Nov 11 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I can 'aparently' renege the contract in the cooling off period, but not the phone - which as part of the contract made no sense to me. I don't plan to do so in the first 14days anyway but I suspect the tattood 12year old who was working hadn't understood whatever he'd been told
Interesting way of getting around it either way. Even if he's vague on detail, that sounds like they may have a loophole.
Robbo

28th Nov 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I disagree with the principal of putting up prices during a fixed term contract irrelevant of whether an individual can afford the increase or not. I understand its in the T&Cs but when Phone companies issue the profits that they do, standing out until the end of what at most would be a 24month contract term isn't going to have a huge effect to them.

Imagine you took out a contract on Saturday and then finding out it'll be going up the day after signing on the dotted line.
is that not the point of being in business though? i know where youre coming from but they are only relfecting the additional costs they are incurring due to inflation, so not really a problem tbh
RichR
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree entirely, They're well within their rights to increase charges - I would however have thought that there would be a negative impact on both current and future users. My O2 contracts have never increased midterm; if they did, I would be thinking twice about changing providers at the end of the term and in the same vane, I wouldn't look to move to Orange hearing that they increase charges midterm. That's just my opinion though with regards to customer satisfaction and good business relationships
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Nov 11 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What was the rise? 5%

If they lose less than 5% of customers, they're still up.
Nath

28th Nov 11 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got an orange 24 month contract 2 weeks ago. Looks like I'll have to postpone moving out of home til 2013.
LeeM

28th Nov 11 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's daft that you have a contract, but within that contract it states the terms can be changed as and when the provider sees fit.
Nath

28th Nov 11 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a bit gay.
emicen

28th Nov 11 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So in summary:
- Orange have done what they are contractually allowed to do
- Some people won't be happy
- Some people won't give a toss
- Some will be able to afford it
- Some may not

Been a fun journey getting here though
A2H GO

28th Nov 11 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MSE and others have lawers currently going through the Ts & Cs to find a breakout clause...yet to find one though
Robbo

28th Nov 11 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, should add that IIRC all UK mobile operators dropped the prices when VAT went down, put them back up when VAT went back then swallowed the next increase so as not to pass further costs on to customers :/
Conway563

28th Nov 11 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You recall wrongly oRbbo
My contract went up when VAT went to 20%. Have struggled to find the extra 81p a month ever since
Jake

28th Nov 11 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oranges always cost more this time of year because theyre out of season so its understandable
Chrissy
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't think they were allowed to increase the price at all during the term of your contract? What's to stop them increasing the price by 50% then if you're locked into a contract?

>>>> Chris <<<<

Robbo

28th Nov 11 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
You recall wrongly oRbbo
My contract went up when VAT went to 20%. Have struggled to find the extra 81p a month ever since
maybe was just us then? Or are you with voda lol
Robbo

28th Nov 11 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
I didn't think they were allowed to increase the price at all during the term of your contract? What's to stop them increasing the price by 50% then if you're locked into a contract?
tax and inflationary reasons would always be within appropriate t&cs though. lumping on 50% cos they feel like it wouldnt be
Conway563

28th Nov 11 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
You recall wrongly oRbbo
maybe was just us then? Or are you with voda lol

Waiting for you to hook me up with 30% off so I can afford to buy food again
mattk

28th Nov 11 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my contract is overdue by 2 months, Im going to use this price change to get a better deal
M2RTY

28th Nov 11 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would be fucking mad if i was with orange. Sneaky underhanded fuckers. If i had 2 exact same contracts on offer, and chose orange over o2 for example, you could be £30 odd quid worse off. In a time when every penny counts, people need to understand that money is far better off in your pocket then Orange's FFS
AlunJ

28th Nov 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's a bag of chips less a month shame you can't use it to get out actually, I'm sick to the back teeth of orange, contract not up til may I don't think

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Orange price increases 23 database queries in 0.2841311 seconds