corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » More power = Bigger Brakes needed?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author More power = Bigger Brakes needed?
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jan 12 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Eh? That doesn't take into account fade or unsprung mass

were talking about road cars..

how many cars have you driven where you get brake fade? even my 1.0 nissan micra which i used to bomb about in everywhere never ever god fade and them discs were tiny!

your right tho, weight (which is unchanged in this case) would have an effect on the brakes as your trying to slow down more mass.

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by chris_uk]
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No true. Goes back to what I said really wouldn't bother for just road use

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Steve]
big eck

19th Jan 12 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had 2ltr calipers on my old Corsa and they were pure shit. They faded very badly.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 12 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had fade in that Astra a few times.

Its a road car though so I just slow down, cheaper.
big eck

19th Jan 12 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The first time mine faded I ended up in the middle of a roundabout with a fucked alloy and the exhaust hanging off. It was the roundabout at the other end of the duel carriageway you all stayed at for the Corsa rr day lol.
Mattb

19th Jan 12 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To put this into some sort of context

Audi R8 V8 = 414bhp - 365mm front discs
Audi R8 V10 = 518bhp - 365mm front discs
Audi Q7 V12 TDI - 497 bhp - 415mm front discs

The extra power does not always warrent bigger brakes imo - vehicle weight certainly does.. it wouldnt hurt to upgrade brakes of course but RS4 brakes on a gold is a touch over kill imo - brake pedal will be shit and spongy as fook
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
If you can lock your wheels up using standard brakes then there is no point in upgrading the brakes..

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by chris_uk]

i dont agree, on many cars i have driven you could lock the wheels up at a given speed, once, after that they are crap.

i do agree that disc and pads combinations play a huge part in it, but in my eyes bigger brakes can sometimes be worth more to a car than an extra 20-30bhp.
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
To put this into some sort of context

Audi R8 V8 = 414bhp - 365mm front discs
Audi R8 V10 = 518bhp - 365mm front discs
Audi Q7 V12 TDI - 497 bhp - 415mm front discs

The extra power does not always warrent bigger brakes imo - vehicle weight certainly does.. it wouldnt hurt to upgrade brakes of course but RS4 brakes on a gold is a touch over kill imo - brake pedal will be shit and spongy as fook

what about manufacturing costs? surely its cheaper for audi to leave the same brakes on a v8 as it is a v10 R8, no need for chassis changes, just different wheels and engine, job done (in simple terms)

why go to the extend of designing new brakes and testing etc etc when the current brakes meet all current safety laws with stopping distances and life span etc. would the car benefit from better brakes?

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by broster]
Dave

19th Jan 12 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But surely that is a perfect example of why they aren't needed in most cases.

If Audi see fit to use the same brakes on the same type of car, but one has noticeably more power than the other (and a bit extra weight in this case) then why should someone bolting a turbo to their Golf/Corrado suddenly feel the need to fit huge rotors?
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what were saying is increasing power doesn't mean you need bigger brakes?

seriously?

keep the standard suspension too, no need to change springs and dampers and bushes. they go round corners as standard.

i think the audi example is a good example that manufacturers don't see the need to spend money developing something when the current setup works to a safety standard.

Mattb

19th Jan 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It certainly is cheaper, but if the brakes werent up to the job they would change them - Audi arent the kind of manufacturer that scrimps in these kind of areas - if the V10 needed bigger brakes regardless of safety laws etc then it would have got them..

To be fair i have never felt that the V10 needs better brakes when i have driven them - however there is the ceramics option which are brilliant - but not necessary for the road imo
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All of what you are saying is correct broster just that you won't be locking up wheels and driving on the limits on the road lol
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
All of what you are saying is correct broster just that you won't be locking up wheels and driving on the limits on the road lol

iv done one skid this year.

i know you don't drive on the limits on the road, but upping power without looking at a brake upgrade is a bit daft IMO.

more power means looking at brakes and suspension IMO. but then iv worked in an industry for 6 years where you get a bit more of an insight into it where you see how bigger brakes are needed when power is increased on a road car.
Dave

19th Jan 12 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that simply, what I'm saying is if your brakes that you have now work fine, increasing bhp isn't suddenly going to change that and make the car unsafe.

If you have a 1ltr Corsa with tiny discs and stick a LET in it then yes, it makes sense to upgrade brakes. If you already own the high performance model of that range then you probably already have good enough brakes. If you want to upgrade just to get better braking like you'd upgrade suspension for better handling fair enough but to say the standard brakes aren't safe just because you've upped power is wrong IMO.
Mattb

19th Jan 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster

seriously?

keep the standard suspension too, no need to change springs and dampers and bushes. they go round corners as standard.

i think the audi example is a good example that manufacturers don't see the need to spend money developing something when the current setup works to a safety standard.

No definately not!! im saying the RS4 brakes on a golf 1/2/3 is overkill - of course with more power there is going to be problems with brake fade from speed - best solution is going to be bigger brakes etc
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not saying they are unsafe I'm saying that it would need addressing in the same way that the "power" issue would have been addressed.
Jambo

19th Jan 12 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Not that simply, what I'm saying is if your brakes that you have now work fine, increasing bhp isn't suddenly going to change that and make the car unsafe.

If you have a 1ltr Corsa with tiny discs and stick a LET in it then yes, it makes sense to upgrade brakes. If you already own the high performance model of that range then you probably already have good enough brakes. If you want to upgrade just to get better braking like you'd upgrade suspension for better handling fair enough but to say the standard brakes aren't safe just because you've upped power is wrong IMO.

Put into words what i was trying (badly) to say

Mattb

19th Jan 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on a side note wheres this thread? i wonder if he wants to but some R8 discs that i need to sell..
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
quote:
Originally posted by broster

seriously?

No definately not!! im saying the RS4 brakes on a golf 1/2/3 is overkill - of course with more power there is going to be problems with brake fade from speed - best solution is going to be bigger brakes etc

on a standard car maybe, but on a vr6 with a turbo conversion?
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bet its a pissy little low pressure turbo conversion anyway
Mattb

19th Jan 12 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only if its going to be a silly power conversion - like circa 500 bhp (imo)

dont see why 312mm TT brakes wouldnt be sufficiant
Dave

19th Jan 12 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the car was a VR6 as standard then probably yes as it will already have better brakes than other models in the range. For road use only you could look at getting pads that can cope with more heat if you are going to be driving it hard but fitting brakes that were designed for a large saloon with a V8 engine (I assume) is overkill.
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they do respond well to turbo and supercharger conversions on the vr6. driven a few over the years and always been impressed!
WATSON

19th Jan 12 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate runs standard brakes on his 700bhp mr2, His wee brother runs alcon brakes on his 350bhp skyline
CorsAsh

19th Jan 12 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Track use = Bigger brakes needed.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » More power = Bigger Brakes needed? 22 database queries in 0.0144372 seconds