corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Roll Cages

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Roll Cages
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jan 12 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
you'll need to get the custom cage one profiled so the bits fit 110% too

every custom cages cage i have bought has been profiled by them, and they come with a cd showing how they fit to an extent.

they arnt 100% perfect fitting, you will need to trim a bit here and there but they are pretty close.

usually handy to fit them with a ratchet strap and portapower.
Stu

19th Jan 12 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Safety Devices and custom cages, pretty sure iv made up my mind to get the 6 point custom cages CL4 though

Looked at them myself as it was just what I wanted, only thing that turned me off was the weld in fitment but after looking more into the bolt ins (after buying a bolt in ) it seems the bolt ins are just as much a ball ache to fit anyway!

Ah well, I've bought it now anyway!
Ben G

19th Jan 12 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Also grahams got a 4 point and that looks good.

Can guarantee though if i got a 4 point then i would be flamed fornot getting a 6

looks good?

steve, i think you're caught between 2 worlds here.

function over form.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks good as in looks like it would do a good job
Ben G

19th Jan 12 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lets not get into a thegsi style argument here.
mwg

19th Jan 12 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You better do at least 10 track days this year
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, and u
mwg

19th Jan 12 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got as many booked as you have
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool, what tracks? are you coming to summer aciton day at combe?
mwg

19th Jan 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
19th Jan 12 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 point is safer, depends how hard you're intending to land.

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Ian]
taylorboosh

19th Jan 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol mine cost me like £120 all in. £80 on pipe and £40 on drink... proper mates rates
ianofbhills

19th Jan 12 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For your car Steve I would personally just go for the cheaper rear cage option.
At the end of the day you're not racing, you dont have to meet any requirements like FIA or msa regs etc and you're are only going to enter a few track days, use it on the road and probably over to germany for the nurburgring.
Taking it too seriously and spending your money on items that are not 100% totally necessary takes the fun out of it. I've said it before but i'd rather use the cash saved to actually spend on track time or consumables like tyres and fuel and improving your driver skill by time in the seat rather then improving the spec sheet.
It will still be safe enough with just the rear cage imo

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by ianofbhills]
AK

19th Jan 12 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
lol mine cost me like £120 all in. £80 on pipe and £40 on drink... proper mates rates

was it seamless drawn pipe? What wall thickness, grade of steel?

A guy on TrackScotland got a cage made and fitted for £250.

Its made from rolled and welded sheet (so has a seam along its length, and inherant weak spots!), small O.D., unknown wall thickness and isnt welded all the way round the joints in tough to get at places.

This was 'fitted' by a guy who fits loads of cages aparently.

This might not be applicable to all but consider future use of the car.... check MSA blue book rules for spec on sizes, shapes and materials.
All I'm saying is beware of cheap cages.... you may have to spend double making the job right

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by AK]
AK

19th Jan 12 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills
For your car Steve I would personally just go for the cheaper rear cage option.
At the end of the day you're not racing, you dont have to meet any requirements like FIA or msa regs etc and you're are only going to enter a few track days, use it on the road and probably over to germany for the nurburgring.
Taking it too seriously and spending your money on items that are not 100% totally necessary takes the fun out of it. I've said it before but i'd rather use the cash saved to actually spend on track time or consumables like tyres and fuel and improving your driver skill by time in the seat rather then improving the spec sheet.
It will still be safe enough with just the rear cage imo

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by ianofbhills]

see where your coming from but a cage isnt an item you really plan to use. They are not needed in 99% of the cars, but when they are suddenly needed I bet the folk with the rear cages say 'hmm, wish i'd paid that £100 more'
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All very good points, iv kinda come up with an affordable plan of buying the cage now and getting it.fitted later rather then trying to.do it all ay once
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 12 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That guy in Essex has got his back up for sale - http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106083&pid=913831&st=0&#entry913831

More expensive to fit but that is a thing of beauty.

I'm slightly less tempted than last time because I have no job but that's the one if you want it proper.
taylorboosh

19th Jan 12 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
quote:
Originally posted by john-d

was it seamless drawn pipe? What wall thickness, grade of steel?

A guy on TrackScotland got a cage made and fitted for £250.

Its made from rolled and welded sheet (so has a seam along its length, and inherant weak spots!), small O.D., unknown wall thickness and isnt welded all the way round the joints in tough to get at places.

This was 'fitted' by a guy who fits loads of cages aparently.

This might not be applicable to all but consider future use of the car.... check MSA blue book rules for spec on sizes, shapes and materials.
All I'm saying is beware of cheap cages.... you may have to spend double making the job right

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by AK]

due to the fact the cars never ever going to see a track its 40mm tube with a 2mm wall. Its not seamless as that would be overkill on what is a show cage with a hint of safety in mind....
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
That guy in Essex has got his back up for sale - http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106083&pid=913831&st=0&#entry913831

More expensive to fit but that is a thing of beauty.

I'm slightly less tempted than last time because I have no job but that's the one if you want it proper.
yeah noticed that again lol I don't think there's a great deal more to that then cl4 mind I think the doors are x beamed etc
AK

19th Jan 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..... show cage

each to their own I guess.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 12 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask him when he wants his 495 Steve
taylorboosh

19th Jan 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol ive also seen exactly the same tube hold a 500kg truck bed so i dont think strength is a issue
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you land on

Mine's a 6 point with both rear diagonals, single door bars and harness bars but with some extra bracing to the pillars and roof so all in it's now a 13 point cage.

That was the CL3 kit (the front section) then we made the rear and door bars ourselves. All in it cost me about £500 and a house move but that's because Ste fitted it in exchange for me helping him move house So £740 is a good price for the CL4 fitted imo.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would need collecting from essex too, probably not really worth while in the end by the time iv done all that
taylorboosh

19th Jan 12 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh id be more worried about the imp crumpling than the cage

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Roll Cages 22 database queries in 0.1192262 seconds