corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Biggest car related cockup?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Biggest car related cockup?
RyanCorsa99

User status: Offline
7th May 12 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Following a sat nav through a farm that lead to a cow. An angry angry cow.
jrdn7

7th May 12 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam C
Same mate then sat and played with my jump pack, connected positive and negative clips together and fell off his chair after the shock, I think he's a bit special

I'd say he is a bit special now after that shock!
Nath

7th May 12 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CORSA NUT has me in tears The horn one is amazing
Steve
Premium Member

7th May 12 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exagerated imo, iv never had a car seat that goes forward that much to push your face into the windscreen, or push you onto the horn, must be a heffer if it did happen

[Edited on 07-05-2012 by Steve]
22B

7th May 12 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had a couple over the years, worked as a mechanic for a little while so saw a lot of stupid things and caused my a couple.

Stupid things like replacing brake shoes and cylinders on the rear of a private ambulance, getting a lad to pump the pedal to bleed them in the cab and couldnt understand why we couldnt get a decent pedal. Looked at the front and remembered both front calipers were off as I was replacing the wheel bearings which required the hub removing. Cue pistons out of the calipers and brake fluid everywhere.

The only other I can think of, was changing the clutch on my 206 GTi 180, got it all stripped down and replaced, bit of an awkward one as to remove the starter motor the inlet manifold needs to be removed. To remove the inlet manifold you need to take the radiator out, so got it all removed put some rag down the inlet ports to stop anything falling into the engine.

Anyway got it all built back up, went to start and its running on 3 cylinders, cue a lot of head scratching, plugged fault code reader in and wasnt getting much sense out of it, so went back to basics, checked injectors were supplying fuel, checked for a good spark.

Then decided to do a compression test cylinders,1,2,3 were all good and within 20% of each other but cylinder 4 was zero (cylinder 4 on PSA engine is nearest the cambelt cover).

Couldnt understand what was going on so removed inlet manifold and found the remnants of a cable tie welded to the valve,causing it to stay stuck open, couldnt remove it as it was welded solid.

In the end I let the car run on 3 so it got hot enough to melt the plastic from the valve, risky but was my only option. Turned out ok, but still cant understand how it got inside valve tract.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

7th May 12 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changed the clutch on my brother's old car only to find I'd put the pressure plate in the wrong way round
3i_gaz

7th May 12 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putting 4.5 litres of oil into a megane only to paddle in it a few seconds later when I realised the sump bung was on the ramp leg. Sweet.
bracey123

7th May 12 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i worked with sriboy, i couldnt free off a trackrod end so decided heating it would be the best option, done that then got a spanner and bingo it loosened off, then what did i do?? Grab it and try and spin it off by hand resulting in burnt palm couldnt shut my hand or grab anything for a week after it
Steve
Premium Member

7th May 12 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine would have to be installing the diff bearing pre load spring washers in the wrong way and not realising until i took the car out and got diff whine.

whole lot had to come back off and gearbox apart again, just to literally turn a washer round

[Edited on 07-05-2012 by Steve]
jay.jay

7th May 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to overtake some one on a dual carriage way, hit the limiter in second whilst side by side with the other car and then the coil pack wire decided to disconnect itself looked like a right twat lol
jay.jay

7th May 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to overtake some one on a dual carriage way, hit the limiter in second whilst side by side with the other car and then the coil pack wire decided to disconnect itself looked like a right twat lol
Gaz

7th May 12 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Being young in a fast-ish car had me in near hugh trouble.

We used to knock around at a very quiet road with two roundabout's at each end, it was nicknamed "Learner-Pod" by us and coming back from a drive out, a few of my mates had already parked up. I decided to be a bit of an idiot and wheel spin around the roundabout letting the front slide around and getting the tyres smoking a little... 1 lap of the roundabout done and I see this guy waving "Egg'ing" me on so I decided to have another lap of the roundabout.

All was good until I saw the guy again. Finishing my 2nd lap of bouncing off the limiter, wheel spinning and generally being a knob around this roundabout to find out he was a copper... My arse had gone and I was waving bye bye to my licence as I undone my seatbelt. To my relief he must have been on an amazingly happy day as he gave me a massive bollocking but didn't do me for anything more than a producer(to be fair he was on his own so I presume it would have been hard to prove anything without a second witness on his side)
JaffaTB

7th May 12 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did and engine swap without checking the clutch, had the engine sat in the shed about 4 weeks with the gearbox off aswell, only had to undo 6 bolts to check it but thought it would be ok, had to change it whilst in the bay after about a month
pow
Premium Member

7th May 12 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can only think of a couple,

Cleaned everything on my Clio when I first got it, took the wheels off, forgot to tighten all four corners and drove off down the road, wondered why the funny noise. Swiftly jumped out and tightened them!

Bought a 1971 camper with no engine

Left my missus car in gear parked infront of mine when I drove it, she jumps in and launches her car into mine
richc

7th May 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
CORSA NUT has me in tears The horn one is amazing

edd1.0

7th May 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was a mechanic
did brake pads on an auto micra , forgot to pump the pedal knocked it into drive and went straight into the wall.
Bleeding a clutch on a van accidently started pumping the footbrake so it spat its pistons out the caliper.
empting an oil drum with an airline forgot to shut off the inlet valve so oil shot everywhere.

i dont think anyone can work on cars for a long period of time and not make mistakes though , it just depends how much the managers like you to weather you get away with it

i got asked to leave but i never liked the job as it ruined fixing cars as a hobby
sand-eel

8th May 12 at 01:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started up my car throught the window....it was in reverse gear and the handbrake was off so the car started reversed itself over a curb onto and pavement and into a wall
sand-eel

8th May 12 at 01:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking hell tired writing is hard.
through*
a*
craig55

8th May 12 at 02:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Double filled a car with oil drove off with a puff of blue smoke

Iain M

8th May 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only one I can think of is when I had the C. I drove to other side of Brum to swap some wheels at some services. Swapped all four wheels over. Was driving home got to about Lymn services when a horid noise started, eased off and it went away or not as bad so foot back down noise came back. Pulled over and checked around the car in the dark couldn't see anything but at slow speed no noise. Any way drove home at a slow speed on the motorway and by the time i got off the motorway the noise was constant. Crawled home. Phoned my brother as we had replaced brake discs earler in the week and went to blame him. His response was check your wheel nuts so again went off on one and hung up walked to the car and kicked the passenger side front wheel and 3 bolts fell out.

Needless to say I had to apologise
flybikeslee

8th May 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mixed fuel and water line up, car wouldn't start...luckily it just built up some pressure and i realised before it didn any damage
flybikeslee

8th May 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

started a car in gear and it ran into a bollard. made kwikfit pay for the repairs as they'd just fitted rear pads and the handbrake was faulty... car came back better than it originally was
Jas

8th May 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
thats lies. girls don't know about cars.
his mrs plays MW3 she's half lad
Jas

8th May 12 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread is full of WOW

I fitted an air filter to my EP3 last week and forgot to reconnect the MAF sensor..

that's about as extreme as it goes CORSANUT you need to give up and start riding a push bike mate
Ben G

8th May 12 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Changed the clutch on my brother's old car only to find I'd put the pressure plate in the wrong way round

you'd be suprised how many times this happens in my work it's a right PITA to change aswell. takes about 5 minutes every time, costs the company 1k per minute.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Biggest car related cockup? 22 database queries in 0.0123739 seconds