corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Higgs Boson particle found

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Higgs Boson particle found
John

User status: Offline
4th Jul 12 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by John
It is, happens everyday, just a non perceptible amount.

The closer you get to the speed of light the more time slows down for you compared to a stationary observer.

This is what im talking about. Using my train example to the outside world everything inside the train would look like it was happening in slow motion.

I think thats right anyway.

You were right Jonny, you got in before I replied to Steve.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are only slowing down your eyes perception of time though, you arent actually slowing time itself down, to everyone else time remains the same
3CorsaMeal

4th Jul 12 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've actually invented a device, but would need to be built and setup now and its only useful in the future to look at the past, needs to be positioned a light year away from earth though. So we wouldn't see much benefit from it.
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
It is, happens everyday, just a non perceptible amount.

The closer you get to the speed of light the more time slows down for you compared to a stationary observer.

This is what im talking about. Using my train example to the outside world everything inside the train would look like it was happening in slow motion.

I think thats right anyway.

You were right Jonny, you got in before I replied to Steve.

Aye yeah sorry, i didnt mean it to sound like i was saying "aye, so what i said then" Was just confirming that what i said wasnt bullshit i made up in my mind
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Say to travel back to a previous year, you would have to travel so fast as to "catch up" with the light from that era, you would only be seeing whats happening, like a movie
John

4th Jul 12 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
You are only slowing down your eyes perception of time though, you arent actually slowing time itself down, to everyone else time remains the same

That's not how it works.

You aren't changing your perception of it at all, time still travels at the same rate for you.
John

4th Jul 12 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Say to travel back to a previous year, you would have to travel so fast as to "catch up" with the light from that era, you would only be seeing whats happening, like a movie

Not even close.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Isnt that what time travel is though? You go to a year in the future without aging (near enough) and everyone else goes on with life as if nothing happened.

yeah but im just wondering wether all you would do is see whats going on, you wouldnt say for example be able to converse with someone from that time, or change anything at all as a result of you being there
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deleted my post as John has explained it better.

I've already said time travel backwards is theoretically impossible. Read up on the grandfather paradox.
3CorsaMeal

4th Jul 12 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Isnt that what time travel is though? You go to a year in the future without aging (near enough) and everyone else goes on with life as if nothing happened.

yeah but im just wondering wether all you would do is see whats going on, you wouldnt say for example be able to converse with someone from that time, or change anything at all as a result of you being there

This is starting to sound like my device.

You just see the light from a light year ago
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can get my head round time travel being theoretically possible backwards, but not forwards, things havent happened yet in the future, unlesshow it would work is everything just goes into like fast forward mode whilst stays the same for you, you just everything happening really quickly until you slowed down
ed

4th Jul 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
In fairness, they could be making it up completely, no-one is going to argue with them are they.

Yes people are, science is peer reviewed. You're mistaking science with religion.
3CorsaMeal

4th Jul 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think of it like an ice cube, once it melts you can't go back in time to when the ice cube was frozen, but all the particles of the ice cube are still there, but in a different form.

You couldn't go back and see your dead grandad but his particles are still here in a different form
3CorsaMeal

4th Jul 12 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no idea what i said but sounded quite good
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to start getting waspy in a minute
3CorsaMeal

4th Jul 12 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you a boson?

[Edited on 04-07-2012 by 3CorsaMeal]
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I can get my head round time travel being theoretically possible backwards, but not forwards, things havent happened yet in the future, unlesshow it would work is everything just goes into like fast forward mode whilst stays the same for you, you just everything happening really quickly until you slowed down

ARARRRRRFGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

You've got this totally wrong
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve you cant go backwards in time because if that was possible i could go back, shoot my own grandad and then i couldnt have been born, so how could i have gone back in time to shoot him.

You can go forward if you go fast enough.

http://news.discovery.com/space/is-time-travel-possible.html

Read this please.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i agree you cant physically go back in time, but you could see what happened back in time

when we see stars many thousands of light years away we are seeing how they were at a point thousands of years ago, some we see now dont even exist anymore

so in that sense its possible to take a snapshot of previous time
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i get that. If you could get far enough from earth in an instant and look at it from 14 light years away you could see your own gf been born. Of course that would be pretty impossible as since you cant travel faster than light it would take you more than 14 years to get there, meaning you would only see what happened just after you left.

Do you understand the time travel forward thing though? Its really not that hard to grasp.

[Edited on 04-07-2012 by JonnyJ]
sc0ott

4th Jul 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
You couldn't go back and see your dead grandad but his particles are still here in a different form

In the form of 'ash' contained in a vase?
Sunz

4th Jul 12 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
Most wonderful thing I learnt a while ago was about dead stars, we still see the image of dead stars due to how long their image takes to get to us due to light years.

Thats the most wonderful thing you have learnt? Pretty basic stuff

Sorry Sir Patrick Moore.

I didn't say it was scientifically astonishing, just I felt it was rather cool.

One of the great mystery's of the Universe is how you haven't suffocated with your head up your arse so long.
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made me laugh, I'll give you that Sunz

TBF to you i do often look up at the stars and think its pretty cool that we are basically looking into the past.

Even cooler to think that if you were 200 million light years away from Earth and had an amazing telescope, you could see the dinosaurs.

[Edited on 04-07-2012 by JonnyJ]
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im a firmer believer that the plane will take off a conveyor belt
Hammer

4th Jul 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They might have found the Higgs Boson but it will take more than CERN and billions of investment to find Steve's brain.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Higgs Boson particle found 22 database queries in 0.0146379 seconds