corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » AppSung

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author AppSung
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the major points in Apples favour are things like the internal Samsung docs where there were comments about making thier phone more like the iPhone.

I can see a mixed result coming out, where its not a clean cut decision either way.
A2H GO

22nd Aug 12 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always wondered how they got the jury together, are the just normal people they've randomly chosen off the streets or are they all switched on enough to be able to make a proper decision on some of this stuff. Most of the articles I've read pictured them as being completely disinterested and on the verge of falling asleep half the time.
Dom

22nd Aug 12 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Yes I guess there are different ways of looking at it.

It just gets me how Samsung knew they were copying(and Google even warned them) and so intentionally made things slightly different so they couldn't be caught out. Like how Apple pointed out the phone is the same Shape with rounded corners and Samsung countered with, the iPhones corners are all exactly the same whereas ours are all a tenth of a millimeter different.

The jury have to fill out a 31 page document, can't see them getting that done anytime soon. There is no limit, it could be a day, a week or even months.

If Samsung had copied (for example) Apple's brand new one-of-a-kind curved touchscreen technology, then i would have zero problem.
But as you've pointed out it's petty shite like rounded corners, which to me is absolutely mind boggling how it even got in as an argument.
Why haven't other industries taken civil action over the use of rounded corners? You only need to look up a handful of monitors or TV's to see plenty of rounded corner designs from multiple manufacturers.

And why hasn't Apple done anything about ZTE's T-Mobile Vivacity? It's more of a replica of an Apple design than anything Samsung has produced

Makes you wonder if Apple are 'shitting bricks' a little and attempting to stifle competition

quote:
I always wondered how they got the jury together, are the just normal people they've randomly chosen off the streets or are they all switched on enough to be able to make a proper decision on some of this stuff. Most of the articles I've read pictured them as being completely disinterested and on the verge of falling asleep half the time.

I believe the jury is random, reason why Koy tried to get both parties to settle it before it went to the jury.
Although iirc, each legal team is able to get an individual juror replaced if need be.
Bart

22nd Aug 12 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

of course its about stiffling competition.

If either company can prevent another company from selling their latest and greatest release, then it'll give them a huge market share, even if only for a few weeks.
A2H GO

23rd Aug 12 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It all started with Jobs and so I believe it's more than just about market share.
John

23rd Aug 12 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Job's spent his whole life doing stuff to be awkward, that doesn't mean it's a good reason.
Russ

23rd Aug 12 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

quote:

I believe the jury is random, reason why Koy tried to get both parties to settle it before it went to the jury.
Although iirc, each legal team is able to get an individual juror replaced if need be.
surely with apples marketing they could convince any jury they are right and samsung is actually the devil
Dom

23rd Aug 12 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

quote:

surely with apples marketing they could convince any jury they are right and samsung is actually the devil

You'd think
Russ

24th Aug 12 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A2H GO

24th Aug 12 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, the verdicts in, Samsung to pay Apple £1billion for infringing nearly all patents presented , Apple to pay Samsung £0.

Hopefully Samsung will start to innovate now rather than imitate.

That will be all.

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by A2H GO]
Edd

25th Aug 12 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple where always going to win this with a jury being the deciding factor, why? Because of brainwashed masses like A2H GO above, its frightening the hold apple have over people! Unless i had quite a bit of money tied up in the company i couldnt give a fuck about it.

[Edited on 25-08-2012 by Edd]
AndyKent

25th Aug 12 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is ridiculous. It must be when people are arguing over the bounce-back effect at the end of scrolling.

It's a shame apple have so much money to be able to start court cases like this. If car manufacturers started doing the same there would be injuctions all over the place.

Personally it puts apple in a bad light. They say their trying to encourage innovation by other manufactures, all the while maintaining a massive profit margin. If you care about consumers how about cutting that?
A2H GO

25th Aug 12 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In reality Samsung just needed better lawyers. Nothing will change, £1billion is pocket money too these companies and it's to engrained in Samsungs corporate culture to change now.
AndyKent

25th Aug 12 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
In reality Samsung just needed better lawyers. Nothing will change, £1billion is pocket money too these companies and it's to engrained in Samsungs corporate culture to change now.

Will change though.

Samsung have been found guilty of producing rectangle phones with round corners, using double tap to zoom and multitouch scroll amongst loads of other stuff. Apple should never have been granted patents on this sort of stuff, and a court should never have upheld them.

If Samsung and other manufacturers have to produce pure rectangles, and Android ends up with some stupid convoluted zooming method on websites, it's a shitter for all the iPhone alternative phones.

Joke IMO.
AndyKent

25th Aug 12 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

List of the patents and devices is here - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57500273-37/apple-v-samsung-the-infringing-device-scorecard/
John

25th Aug 12 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samsung won their case in South Korea.

Ash has his Apple blinkers on, he's even read the Job's biography so he knows Apple only exist today because they stole ideas.
A2H GO

25th Aug 12 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not that broad and companies will have to think outside the box. The lumina is a stunning looking phone and nothing like an iphone. Apple come up with new designs every 1/2 years that are a completely different style and Samsung did it with the S3. If you think about it there are more options for designing a phone when you don't copy than when you do.

The bounce back on android whereby the page lifts slightly when reaching the end is cooler than apples linnear bounceback. If every phone was like an iPhone with all the same UI elements that would be even more boring. How about bezel swipes for zooming so you only have to use one finger rather than two? A hovering UI zoom bar, another gesture like touch for a second then pull/swipe down...there are plenty of other options without copying what's already being done.
Dom

25th Aug 12 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well at least the jury wasn't completely full of 'tards and they realised you can do a company for using rounded corners. But still, there's a lot of BS in some of those patents.

I wonder if they'll go after ZTE for their iPhone replica?

Interesting video i found on my travels though - Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? (didn't realise magsafe wasn't their invention, looks like it was another obvious design they decided to patent).

Edit - Another video worth a watch, Embrace the Remix as well as the rest of his 'Remix' videos.

[Edited on 25-08-2012 by Dom]
Dom

11th Sep 12 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't sure whether to create a new thread on bung it in here but it looks like Apple are in court again. This time with HTC (and there are rumours Samsung are involved again) and their LTE patents -

HTC Patents Challenged by Apple

Be interesting to see how this pans out as there is talk, highly unlikely it'll happen but still, of banning the import of iPhone 5's.
Russ

11th Sep 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Interesting video i found on my travels though - Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? (didn't realise magsafe wasn't their invention, looks like it was another obvious design they decided to patent).

apple will tell you what he tels you at the start, they take things and make them better
Dom

11th Sep 12 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few other interesting articles on the court case i've just found on Groklaw -
Wants to Keep the Preliminary Injunction v. Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Place
Apple and Samsung Argue....
Jury Foreman Talks Balls

Russ - You've missed the bit where Apple sues the shit out of anyone that has a whiff of the original idea
Russ

11th Sep 12 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well yeah, they do that too
A2H GO

11th Sep 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

apple will tell you what he tels you at the start, they take things and make them better

This is what I mean when I say there's a difference between stealing an idea and copying.
John

11th Sep 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do some of that, and a lot of stealing ideas.
ed

11th Sep 12 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder if HP are going to find themselves in a spot of bother?

http://mashable.com/2012/09/10/hp-allinone-desktops/

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » AppSung 24 database queries in 0.0163250 seconds