corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Do you believe in God?

Poll: Do you believe in God?
Yes 9 (9%)
No 82 (82%)
Other (please state) 9 (9%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Do you believe in God?
Butler

User status: Offline
28th Oct 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Religion only exists as a basis of prevalent morality. In a time when civilisations were very much independent this makes a lot more sense, but with the convergence of technology and social media and ever-growing idea of the global village - we're becoming a lot more educated as a planet. Thus much of what is written in the bible is completely out-dated and it's ridiculous that modern Christians feel they can adapt the bible to suit the 21st century.
Gary
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
can someone who believes in god please tell me why he lets innocent children die?

Too busy fixing Sunday league footballers knees mate, have you not been paying attention?
neil h

28th Oct 12 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
Religion only exists as a basis of prevalent morality. In a time when civilisations were very much independent this makes a lot more sense, but with the convergence of technology and social media and ever-growing idea of the global village - we're becoming a lot more educated as a planet. Thus much of what is written in the bible is completely out-dated and it's ridiculous that modern Christians feel they can adapt the bible to suit the 21st century.

Ah yes because social media has done wonders for morality.
Jamie-C

28th Oct 12 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. If there is a god he's a cunt.
JonnyJ

28th Oct 12 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
No. If there is a god he's a cunt.

John

28th Oct 12 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
Originally posted by John
Jobs didn't do too well out of the whole spiritual thing.

That had sod all to do with God I'd reccomended having a lil look into Zen Buddhism

Tbh a lot of the people saying religious folk have a poor understanding of science seem to have a pretty crap understanding of religion.

It's exactly the same thing, believing something made up over cold hard evidence and modern technology.

I'm not an expert in all, or even most religions. I do get the bits they all share.
Gaz

28th Oct 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is the strongest argument for their being no God:
Ben G

28th Oct 12 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
can someone who believes in god please tell me why he lets innocent children die?

Too busy fixing Sunday league footballers knees mate, have you not been paying attention?

Also lol at the turtle/tortoise.
kz

28th Oct 12 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

neil h

28th Oct 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's exactly the same thing, believing something made up over cold hard evidence and modern technology.

I'm not an expert in all, or even most religions. I do get the bits they all share.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/subdivisions/zen_1.shtml

There ya go, thats a reasonable start. Zen has nout to do with Gods and what not.
John

28th Oct 12 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't at any point say it did. Thanks for the link though, I don't have Google.
neil h

28th Oct 12 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well ya clearly don't use it

I tend to find a little background reading helps if you want to make an informed argument about something.
sc0ott

28th Oct 12 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taken from another site

God

•God takes away Adam and Eve's eternal life, thus commiting the first murder, and holds their descendants responsible and visiting Adam and Eve's punishment down on their children. In today's moral standards, the sins of the father die with the father.
•God destroys all life on Earth in a great flood, except for a drunk (Noah) and his family, for failing to worship him.
•God's tenth plague upon the Israelites was the unjustified murder of all firstborn sons in Egypt, which undoubtedly included little children.
•Before sending the plagues to Egypt, God "hardened Pharaoh's heart" so that he wouldn't let the Israelites go, so he could have an excuse to visit horrible plagues upon them, like boils, killing cattle and murdering all firstborn sons. (Exodus 4:21)
•God orders the Levites to kill their "every man and his neighnor" for worshipping another god. This cost 3000 lives. (Exodus 32:27)
•God sends a plague to the Israelites, apparently feeling that mass-butchery wasn't enough of a punishment. (Exodus 32:35)
•God kills Onan for refusing to impregnate his late brother's (whom God also slew) wife and instead "spilling his seed on the ground." (Genesis 38:8-10)
•God kills the entire populations of Soddom and Gammorah (again, including women, children and infants) for practicing certain sexual techniques.
•God gives all Philistines hemorrhoids in their pubic areas. (1 Samuel 5:9)
•God kills over 50,000 people for looking at an ark. (1 Samuel 6:19)
•God kills 70,000 people because King David decided to have a census. (1 Chronicles 21:7-14)
•God approves of slavery, and instructs owners to beat their slaves. (Proverbs 29:19)
•And, finally, God makes sure that if you are guilty of even the smallest transgression, you shall suffer endlessly for all eternity, following a dramatic homecoming for Jesus, who will be extremely pissed off at everyone for putting him to death, even though it was just the Romans and even though he knew what was going to happen beforehand, and he could have easily avoided it by using his power as God to perform a miracle and prove who he was. (See the entire book of Revelation)

Satan

•Satan, like Prometheus, gave knowledge to humanity by giving Eve the fruit from the forbidden tree. Because of Satan, humanity gained knowledge of good and evil, according to Genesis. Since we couldn't have possessed knowledge of good and evil before eating the fruit, Adam and Eve couldn't have known that eating the fruit was evil, so it seems a little harsh to punish them as severely as God did. Satan gave humans true capacity for moral judgment, unlike God, who simply expected everyone to mindlessly obey his orders.
•There is no biblical record of Satan engaging in the murder of torture of any human being, unlike God, who is guilty (and proudly guilty) of commiting genocide.
•There is no biblical record of Satan ever ordering someone to kill someone else, unlike God, who has repeatedly demanded the deaths of those who commit even the smallest of offenses.
•Satan will not be holding a massively dramatic ceremony full of blood and death for the return of his son to Earth. God apparently will.

www.daltonator.net...

Their is not much known about Satan and his side of the story. Why was God trying to keep knowledge from us? The knowledge of good and evil? With out it we have no choices. No opposites just one path. Maybe God is the deceiver and Satan was trying to expose him. Kind of like how we are trying to expose the powers that be and they are calling us terrorist.

33million deaths attributed to God.
www.exminister.org

[Edited on 28-10-2012 by sc0ott]
Butler

28th Oct 12 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
Originally posted by Butler

Ah yes because social media has done wonders for morality.

Of course, consumerism on the other hand...
Jambo

28th Oct 12 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God etc promotes the ideology of human ideas. Which as a basis is flawed.

Good vs evil
Budgie

28th Oct 12 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Their is not much known about Satan and his side of the story. Why was God trying to keep knowledge from us? The knowledge of good and evil? With out it we have no choices. No opposites just one path. Maybe God is the deceiver and Satan was trying to expose him. Kind of like how we are trying to expose the powers that be and they are calling us terrorist.

Your post just reminds me off Good Guy Lucifer Meme.

Adster

28th Oct 12 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no. that why.
Colin

28th Oct 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stan_the_man

If no - why?

Its all a load of shit!
whitter45

29th Oct 12 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no - it was a method to control society thousands of years ago which has become outdated and flawed

Hence why all these middel eastern counrties have nutters runnning about with bombs etc
Tomnova16
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
LeeM

29th Oct 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those good guy lucifer memes remind me, i read an article once that suggested the bible has been misinterpreted and satan really is the good guy
micra_pete
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I honestly dont understand how anyone can read the the old testament and go, yep, this all seems likely.

[Edited on 29-10-2012 by micra_pete]
Matt L

29th Oct 12 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe a year or so ago i would of possible considered that there was however now a days i dont believe there is.

I think the majority of 'believers' miracles/experiences are purely down to their minds playing tricks so to speak, take the miracle of the knee, once he was told he could no longer play then i imagine he accepted this and carried on limping however once he thought someone had prayed for him he would of subconciously (sp) believed this to have worked as he wanted it to have worked therefore mind overcame the pain/injury and he stopped limping im sure the underlying problem was still there.
(obviously if this is a case of his knee being broken then magically/instantly healed then yeah that would be different).

I would loved to have been able to see/think what my nan was seeing/thinking a few weeks ago when she was in hospital as she kept telling us there was an angel outside waiting to take her however that was probably because she thought she was going and being a christian wanted to believe that was the case however thanks to science and medical advances she is still around today.

I naively believe if people werent told what was wrong with them then they would live longer/better, its like if you cut your finger it may have been cut for hours with no pain however once you see it then you feel the pain straight away.
Butler

29th Oct 12 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
I naively believe if people werent told what was wrong with them then they would live longer/better, its like if you cut your finger it may have been cut for hours with no pain however once you see it then you feel the pain straight away.

Scientifically true, pain is all in the mind. It is a natural defence and possible to alter ones perception.
Butler

29th Oct 12 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recommend everyone watches this: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sex-death-and-the-meaning-of-life/episode-guide/series-1

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Do you believe in God? 25 database queries in 0.0157509 seconds