corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them?
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Nov 12 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
No i dont, i dont think you realise how much of a bin my car is and how little its worth
How much would you say your health is worth?

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is a lovely thread

I've never purchased winter tyres, normally just run contis all the time but I don't doubt that the winter tyres provide more grip.
BluKoo

8th Nov 12 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just put my winter tyres and steelies on yesterday. The passat looks poverty scene!
Balling
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
i am sure it does help, still does not make it worth it though to me, I am unsure why you keep comparing things to cancer though, bit strange
Because cancer and traffic accidents sit at the top of the "cause of death" list having a good time.

One of them you can do a lot to steer clear of and I can't see how any price could be too high.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
No i dont, i dont think you realise how much of a bin my car is and how little its worth

btw I think hes talking about his brown mk4 astra not the corsa in his profile pic, its a proper shitbox
Eck
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and my mate drove through shocking snow on roads that had just been deemed remotely usable the other year. Shocking tyres, a Volvo T5 and broken traction control made wheelspin at 80-90 interesting
I can understand the benefits of winter tyres; hell it's obvious why they are much safer in colder conditions, but I cba forking out for them tbh! Although my AD08's could make things a bit sketchy if the roads get bad
Jamie-C

8th Nov 12 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the amount of snow we get its not worth the money, plus I love snow drifting with my summer tyres
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Nov 12 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So many people who have never tried proper tyres for the conditions saying they're pointless.

Stick to skidding about and carrying a spade.
BarnshaW

8th Nov 12 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stick to paying loads of money for non existing life threatening journeys in a dusting of snow or ice
John

8th Nov 12 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll stick to not carrying a spade, driving to the conditions and not skidding about.

Nobody in Britain needed winter tyres until 5 minutes ago, what's the sudden need except a larger number of bad drivers?
Roffo

8th Nov 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never tried winters, and never will. Seems a little over kill for the poor effort winters we get down here. if its snowing il stay in and have a cuppa.

Ian
Site Administrator

8th Nov 12 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're no more expensive than wearing out summer tyres, in fact in most cases they'll be on smaller rims so they work out cheaper per tyre.

Plus minor rim damage is less important = cheaper.

Plus you're less likely to crash = cheaper.

Plus you're less likely to lose a day's pay = cheaper.

I'm not disputing you need to faff about and do it, and pay for it, but I'm not closed minded enough to refuse point blank that no one needs them.
Matt L

8th Nov 12 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

too all the people saying its not worth the money...
its only the same as people who go on a track day who pay and get better performing tyres to a make them safer/the car better to drive in those conditions dont see people bitching and moaning saying its not worth it.

yes winter tyres arent needed but im sure none of you would go on track with shonky tyres its the same for winter tyres, people want/choose/need to use them as they are better for the winter conditions (not just snow) and people dont want to be fannying about potentially getting stuck when they would much rather get to a destination easier and safer than they would potentially using normal tyres.

people should really try a car with winter tyres before judging whether they are worth the money or not, i say they are worth it like im sure 888's are worth it on track.
BarnshaW

8th Nov 12 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is a massive expense though

you either have to fork out for some winter alloys or steelies and put tyres on, how much will that set you back?

then you have to pay someone or go through the hassle of putting your other wheels on when it gets warmer, even then with the unpredictable UK weather it might go cold again so you have to do it all again.

realistically they are not worth it.. yes they are probably massively beneficial but the amount of REAL days with dangerous road conditions (ice and snow) not just low temperatures is minimal
Roffo

8th Nov 12 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, if i lived up north a tad and/or didnt live so close to work I'd definatly be considering wacking some on.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Nov 12 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
it is a massive expense though

Set of steels + tyres

Make most of that back when you sell them in March

Whatever you lose you'll offset when you don't lash a summer rim in to the kerb.
BarnshaW

8th Nov 12 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your basing that on it actually happening, fact is i have never hit a kerb because of road conditions in nearly 10 years driving?
Jamie-C

8th Nov 12 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never had an accident in the snow nor do I carry a spade. I don't see the issue?
John

8th Nov 12 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Roffo
yep, if i lived up north a tad and/or didnt live so close to work I'd definatly be considering wacking some on.

I live in Scotland, the 10 miles to work includes back roads, main road, uphills, downhills, previous jobs have been 30 miles away.

Not once have I been stuck, ever.
JonnyJ

8th Nov 12 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:

You make it sound like the tyres will make the difference between life and death maybe if I'm driving next to a cliff or like an utter bell, but seeing as I don't do neither then the only improvement I see is a bit of improvement in stopping distances, hardly going to be a life and death thing.

End of the day if you know how much grip you have you can drive to those limits. Its got me through nearly 10 winters unscathed and many decades of my family and friends too, none of whom have had winter tyres and non of whom have crashed and died, so I'll stick with it.
John

8th Nov 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completely outside of whether they are effective or not, can someone please tell me why it's only been in fashion recently, as in about 3 years max?
Roffo

8th Nov 12 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by Roffo

I live in Scotland, the 10 miles to work includes back roads, main road, uphills, downhills, previous jobs have been 30 miles away.

Not once have I been stuck, ever.

Fair play, not saying they are essential. like i said i've never thought about it.
John

8th Nov 12 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was more the up north point, unless up north is the tip of Scotland, it's still not any worse.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Completely outside of whether they are effective or not, can someone please tell me why it's only been in fashion recently, as in about 3 years max?

European car manufacturers pushing people to buy them. BMW have a push on it round here.

Brain washing and advertising trying to make money from saying we need these or we'll crash and die or if not we'll get cancer or catch aids from not using the correct rubber!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
John

8th Nov 12 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brain washing seems to have worked quite well on here.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them? 23 database queries in 0.0147190 seconds