corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying part worn tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying part worn tyres
BenC1985

User status: Offline
25th Jul 13 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Part worns are fine. If you know a good place to get them. My missus needed two new tyres for her car and her dad took the car and £150 later had some half decent tyres fitted with 8mm on. Then she wanted another two on thw rear so i took it to my mate who put two pirellis on with 7mm on for £60 fitted. If only she asked me the first time i could have got her 4 for the price her dad paid and the tyres are much better.
john_redtop

25th Jul 13 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see what the harm is with part worms people are saying you don't know the condition etc well if you look over them before you buy/once there on and blown up andlook fine then you ccan't seen anything wrong with them like you wouldn't be able to if you looked over your current tyres fitted to your car with the same amount of tread
Baskey

25th Jul 13 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had an old van I used as a 3rd car for fishing and taking the dog out I used to get the tyres from the scrap yard.

For my propper cars no way. The reason being I know quite a few people that work in propper tyre places and they are all dogee / bulls shitters so I dred to think what type of people sell part warns.
Anty
Premium Member

25th Jul 13 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get mine from ebay, or tyre place in birmingham, bought 2 from scrappy.. on rims
Graham88

26th Jul 13 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£290 from eBay. £300 a tyre new. The worst 2 are half worn the rest are better

Part worns ftw
SVM 286

26th Jul 13 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Does anyone buy part worn tyres on here? Could do with a couple of tyres soon and thought I'd look on eBay and there are a few part worn (5mm-6mm left) for sale in the exact make, model and size I want. Works out a hell of a lot cheaper than new.

Or is it a bit dodgy?!

That was all I ever used for about the first 16 years of my motoring life as I couldn't afford anything more.

The first time I bought new was because I couldn't get a matching pair second hand and I got a really good deal on a pair of Michelins.
SVM 286

26th Jul 13 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Nothing wrong with it but i'm snobby and see it like buying pre-owned underpants

But they're the best kind of pants Steve. Comfy, nicely softened & weathered, delightful patina and more often than not, already laundered by the charity shop.
Gez G

26th Jul 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy pw tyres for cheap trade cars if I need 1 tyre in a small size for £15 odd. Wouldn't be putting them on anything decent though.
Robin
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought some so I could sell the car, no way I was paying full price so I got 2 bridgestones for £60 fitted.

I don't see the issue with them really, providing you know the place you're buying from.
djgritt
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Part worns are probably fine, same as ditchfinders are fine on most occasions. I don't buy either because I'd just rather not.

This
random dav
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do people put brand new tyres on a second hand car they buy? Surely they are technically part worn.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a nonsense justification, yes when they need changing they will get replaced with new, but that argument is the same as saying as soon as you drive out the tyre place they are part worn and would require replacing under my logic.

The point is when something needs fixing or changing, I put new on, I wouldn't replace a waterpump with a used one even if it was in good working order. That doesn't mean that im being hypocritical because I buy a second hand car with a waterpump already on it that has obviously seen use.

[Edited on 27-07-2013 by Steve]
pow
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did when I earnt far less (weekend job running the Corsa) but now I buy new every time. Tend to buy new online then take them up a couple of places I know on a Saturday morning to get them fitted.
Dave

27th Jul 13 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That's a nonsense justification, yes when they need changing they will get replaced with new, but that argument is the same as saying as soon as you drive out the tyre place they are part worn and would require replacing under my logic.

The point is when something needs fixing or changing, I put new on, I wouldn't replace a waterpump with a used one even if it was in good working order. That doesn't mean that im being hypocritical because I buy a second hand car with a waterpump already on it that has obviously seen use.

That's also a nonsense justification. You've no idea how much life would be left in a used water pump, that's why it's better to fit a new one. It's clearly observable how much life a tyre has left in it and what condition it's in. The two situations are not comparable.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jul 13 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyre value, ie. what its actually worth to buy is drawn y = mx + c

y axis is value
x axis is tread depth
c is the original price
gradient m is negative and will intersect the x axis at the point at which tread depth is 1.6mm - ie the tyre is unfit and therefore has no value.

Straight line and at any point, you can say its 50% worn therefore worth 50% of the original price. Completely linear*

* - ignore fitting, compound changes, heat cycles blah blah, makes it too complicated.

Tyre price on the open market, ie. what people sell them for is drawn using an expontential decay function which converges to the minimum price that it would cost to sell a tyre, even if its shit.

Starts at the same point - original purchase price.

As the decay function converges above y=0, the two lines will intersect.

Prior to the intersect, the tyre is worth buying.

After the intersect, the tyre is not worth buying.

Simples.
John

27th Jul 13 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That doesn't take into account the fact it's not brand new.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
quote:

Waterpumps have bearings with a drain hole when the bearing is on its way water leaks out as an indicator it requires changing soon.

That's also a nonsense justification. You've no idea how much life would be left in a used water pump, that's why it's better to fit a new one. It's clearly observable how much life a tyre has left in it and what condition it's in. The two situations are not comparable.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jul 13 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy the tyres, no chance I'd risk a second hand water pump.

If you're looking for residue of a leak, what if the guy cleaned it? You can't clean away more tread.

[Edited on 27-07-2013 by Ian]
Nic Barnes

27th Jul 13 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could re cut it so it looks like it has more tread.....
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jul 13 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possible but that's outside the skills of most of those types of places.

[Edited on 27-07-2013 by Ian]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy them for the runaround Honda. Buy new for our Clio.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
andy_mk3

27th Jul 13 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought new for mine, purely cos 195/50/15 Toyo's are £130 a set!

But if I had big wide 17/18/19 inch wheels I'd consider part worns. I'd rather have a Mich with 4mm on it than a new ditch finder!

I work in a tyre place and often see cars that have had part worns fitted, some tyres are like 10 years old and more!
Nic Barnes

27th Jul 13 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i always check the date on stuff if i find a runner thats worth keeping for my own car.
andy_mk3

27th Jul 13 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen 2009 Audi's with 2001 tyres before

The polish seem to love wart worn winter tyres.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad bought a part worn power steering pressure switch for his focus this week from ebay.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying part worn tyres 23 database queries in 0.0210810 seconds