corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Teachers Strikes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Teachers Strikes
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Oct 13 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ones that are shit i bet.

Heads will get stressed obviously as it's their name on the line too but some cunt who teaches maths half arsed because he's lazy will get stressed because he may get found out.
Rob_Quads

2nd Oct 13 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
To be fair some of the salaries are mighty appealing, especially the further up you look, some of the heads here at some of the larger primary schools are on 70k+ thats just primary school!

Yup the primary school my dads a governor for said the new head was around 65K.

I think if you go on strike then you should have to go to a designated strike location. You should not be allowed to do what you like. If you do what you like you are deemed to be not turning up for work like any other day.
JonnyJ

2nd Oct 13 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, actually pretty good, just care about their job I guess.

If anything surely it's the guy whose half arsed that wouldn't be bothered.

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by JonnyJ]
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Other arguments that have pissed me off are

"We effectively child mind 30 kids all day therefore we should be getting the same salary as 30 child minders"

Yeah ok then. Maybe McDonalds workers should get their salary multiplied based on how many customers they serve in a day.

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Steve]

That is a really poor analogy Steve even by your standards

Who even says the above? I've not heard one teacher come on the news and demand the salary of 30 child minders.

iv seen it, the usual facebook share jobby
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
stressful Ofsted inspections

Surely OFSTED inspections are only stressful if your school is a bit shit?

No, they'll still pick on stuff even if you're doing OK. Plus there's a lot of evidence and paperwork which they want to see which in my experience doesn't exist and only gets done when it needs showing to them. I went for years with only partial lesson planning, the rest in my head, just one of the compromises you have to tolerate when time is tight. I knew what I was teaching, and I knew what would have been written down in the plan in respect of learning outcomes, assessment all that blah so its not a poor quality lesson, just that if you were off ill or Ofsted did turn up you'd be snookered. The ironic thing was that they always asked the kids anyway, and if they liked the lessons that would be worth more to an inspector than a folder full of planning.

My position used to be that if you were struggling then it would be better as an entire sector to actually be honest and that way, you wouldn't have this problem where the workload seems to increase and you just have to find a way to sort that out. My seniors didn't share that view as so long as every teacher in every institution is winging, you can't be the first to not do that.
Jamie Walby

2nd Oct 13 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The teachers I know seem to have it pretty sweet, not sure what their beef is really.

I cant go on strike because I dont agree with my business rates going up every year.
JonnyJ

2nd Oct 13 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
Other arguments that have pissed me off are

"We effectively child mind 30 kids all day therefore we should be getting the same salary as 30 child minders"

Yeah ok then. Maybe McDonalds workers should get their salary multiplied based on how many customers they serve in a day.

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Steve]

That is a really poor analogy Steve even by your standards

Who even says the above? I've not heard one teacher come on the news and demand the salary of 30 child minders.

iv seen it, the usual facebook share jobby

Oh right a Facebook share. I think this is your problem mate, you base your entire world view on Facebook posts. Posts made to be as controversial as possible to get shares.

I've just asked a real life person who is a teacher do you think you should get the salary of 30 child minders and she just laughed and said "wtf, of course not, that's ridiculous"
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most teachers i speak to in real life think they have it pretty sweet, one actually said to me they feel lucky to get the 13 weeks holiday a year, mainly seems to be the ex uni lot that cause the most grief.
djgritt
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Most teachers i speak to in real life think they have it pretty sweet, one actually said to me they feel lucky to get the 13 weeks holiday a year, mainly seems to be the ex uni lot that cause the most grief.

Pretty contradictory post that, seeing as most Teachers are Ex-Uni...
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fresh out of uni you twat that part was obvious
Baskey

2nd Oct 13 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't see the issue, it's only one day. fair play to teachers for sticking up for what they believe in
Ben J

2nd Oct 13 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OFSTED is sressfull whether you are at a shit hot school or a shit one.

My missus's school is an outstanding one and has been for the last 15 years. If you think therefore it isn't stressful then come and live with my wife during it. Sleepless nights, not eating etc etc.

I work for a training provider and we get OFSTED inpspections too so i've been through it myself. Not pleasant.

When you are a teacher at the starting level you can probably coast through and have an easy life if you don't want to progress.

Once you start moving up the levels and have increased responsibility then shit gets real.

My missus is Deputy Head, and Year 6 teacher, which means SATS exams. Therefore more stress, sleepless nights etc etc.

You get nice package as a teacher but definatley earn it if you want to progress.

I'd love to do it, but i'd last about 1 week before losing my rag and chucking a kid out of a window.

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Ben J]
neil h

2nd Oct 13 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
Don't see the issue, it's only one day. fair play to teachers for sticking up for what they believe in

But. But. But. They should be greatful they've got jobs and if they don't like it they should just work elsewhere.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its only stressful if you let it be. I was in charge of stuff and never lost sleep.

If its not right when they come, they see reality. If they don't like that, that's up to them.

Also if you can't get it right for a week with a month's notice, what hope have you got.

Too many people been covering up too much for too long. Surprised Ofsted don't see through it, the cynic in me says they don't actually want that many failures either because it'll mean change for the sector and that means work.

No wonder Gove has no clue, he probably very rarely hears any truth.
Dr Pepper

2nd Oct 13 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
Originally posted by Baskey

But. But. But. They should be greatful they've got jobs and if they don't like it they should just work elsewhere.

Why should they be grateful they have jobs? Most have trained to do exactly this job .... would be pretty bad if you went through uni and teacher training and then didnt have a job? Thats the idea of working hard and getting qualifications - you are guaranteed a profession.

If they all went and worked somewhere else (ie, the private sector, for more money) you wouldnt have any teachers, or you would have lower quality teachers.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
Thats the idea of working hard and getting qualifications - you are guaranteed a profession.

I have to wonder what world you live in
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
would be pretty bad if you went through uni and teacher training and then didnt have a job?

Which is what happens to a lot of them, there might be jobs in the sector due to the number of people leaving it but its not correct to say you're guaranteed to walk in to a local, permanent one.
Dr Pepper

2nd Oct 13 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Thats the idea of working hard and getting qualifications - you are guaranteed a profession.

I have to wonder what world you live in

One where vocationally qualified people get jobs
Dr Pepper

2nd Oct 13 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
would be pretty bad if you went through uni and teacher training and then didnt have a job?

Which is what happens to a lot of them, there might be jobs in the sector due to the number of people leaving it but its not correct to say you're guaranteed to walk in to a local, permanent one.

define 'a lot of them' ....I think what you mean is ..."very few of them"
John

2nd Oct 13 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of qualified teachers don't get jobs. Lucky to get supply.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've no data but I did have trainee teachers going for NQT in the compulsory sector and the ones I stayed in touch with certainly didn't walk straight in.
JonnyJ

2nd Oct 13 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stats:

And for new teachers, the picture is even bleaker. In England, 21 per cent of those who completed training in 2011 still hadn’t found a job by January 2012. In Scotland, 12 per cent failed to find work.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/sep/26/no-jobs-for-new-teachers

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6059576

Struggling to find good news tbh.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 22:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best news I can find is that in 2011, the limit of 16 month's supply was lifted, presumably so they could carry on working short term positions in a multitude of schools after they failed to secure full time work in any one of them.

http://community.tes.co.uk/tes_supply_teaching/f/62/t/521016.aspx

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why? The extension aims to help out new teachers who struggle to find permanent contracts (all those very few of them) in the current economic climate.

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Ian]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Teachers Strikes 22 database queries in 0.0114079 seconds