corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What is it with kids today?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What is it with kids today?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Feb 15 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
Ian what do you mean by "bit of a myth" is it just frowned upon or is it total shit?

You can call things whatever you want.

There are a lot of people scared to say or do the wrong thing so that culture does rub off.

Its like a Chinese whisper. Can we say that? Its been going on so long its established as a bit of a fact. When there are no rules really. I've certainly never seen it written down.

Anxiety also isn't a new thing, it was going on when I left in 2011 and for years before so that pre-dates your 20s.

Learn something new every day then

I'm not saying it's a new thing atall. Just saying it's an aweful lot more common now. Although as above it could be due to age/media
SVM 286

21st Feb 15 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Of my 4 apprentices, one of them has weeks off at a time with depression and one has now got 2 weeks off with stress and anxiety!

They have cushty lives, I don't work then particularly hard, they have plenty of money, decent family lives and good social lives.

I just don't get it!

[Edited on 20-02-2015 by Tiger]

How often do you rape them Tiger?

Well, regularly, but they enjoy that. It's not a source of stress or anxiety

[Edited on 21-02-2015 by Tiger]
SVM 286

21st Feb 15 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Y869 SRA
quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Depression isn't something that is ways shown to the rest of the world. I don't know the individuals, but most People with real depression try their best to hide it around others

This. I've suffered with depression for over 10 years. I have my good days and bad days of course, my bad days being where I just can't hide it and my good days just trying to get through the day the best I can without showing it but deep down I'm miserable inside.
Some days you feel so low, you just can't hide it at all.

[Edited on 21-02-2015 by Y869 SRA]

Was there a root cause, or turning point when it all started?

Is there anything that either exacerbates or improves things for you?
p

21st Feb 15 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ I'll give you a rough idea. I've had/got a lot of anxiety/social anxiety/depression. I only found out I actually truly had these problems about 5/6 years ago. As said previously, I thought my issues were just 'me' and it was 'who I was' but that wasn't the case. It's difficult to explain, you can't really explain depression. It's not a case of 'feeling fed up' it's a systemic clinical horrible thing that kills you inside. You never have a good day, just some aren't as worse than others. One problem you have/or an incident that happens will turn in to two, three, four problems etc but things are all relative on individual situations. It's incredibely psychological, some days you literally can't get out of bed, and it's nothing to do with laziness, you can be an utter nervous and emotional wreck. And it's why I wasn't working for so long, and why people get time off work to it, because you mentally just can't cope, your mind is controlled and fixed on your problems you just can't function or operate. And, depending on the individual, if you don't have friends/family to help you, or even know about it, then it's just another part of the depression. It never leaves, no matter where you are, what you're doing, it's always there, the depression, anxiety, sickness, worry etc and it can be something so little but it's killing you on the inside. That's a rough idea, anyway.
Generation

22nd Feb 15 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ exactly.

Maybe some of you will wake the fuck up now, and stop trying to act like big men on the Internet. I've never suffered with it, but know people that have , and get sick of people co stantly just assuming. Assuming they know everything, assuming it's all made up. Just because they can't comprehend what's happening.

[Edited on 22-02-2015 by Generation]
davegreen
Premium Member

22nd Feb 15 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is a lot of school leavers these days that have not really had a life outside of school, social media sites and home where their parent's have done everything for them.
as already said they don't go outside to play, build den's, camping, light fires, climb trees, work on cars/machinery. instead sit in front of computers on line gaming.
and now with this new law they must stay in education until they reach 18 an apprenticeship is an easy cop out if they don't like school, result is we end up with a load of numpties who don't really want the job and are scared of hard work.
I started a part time job as a GFW when I was 12, weekends and holidays at first but buy the time I was 15 I was doing 40+ hours a week while also at school. this is now considered child exploitation, and dangerous for under 16's to be working so many companies can not get insurance to employ under 16's.
we do live in a nanny state where we have to be careful what we say and do in case it offends some one. the black/white board is one of these, I know of a lady who lost her job because a pupil complain about her calling it a black board.
if what I say offends im sorry but I say it how it is.
as for depression I really hope some of you never get it and those of you who do suffer then keep smiling and hope the good days out way the bad ones!
I suffer with it but at the moment the good days are on top.
Tiger

22nd Feb 15 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get stressed at work, but I have a whole department to manage in a £40 million a year company. My apprentice has to wire up some small control panels and can go home on time every night. He does boxing, gets into fights up town, smokes weed and goes out on the piss most weekends, yet he's the one who's stressed, I just think he's bullshitting me and working with his dad as a builder coz he can't be arsed to do his job.

[Edited on 22-02-2015 by Tiger]
GB123
Premium Member

22nd Feb 15 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
I know of a lady who lost her job because a pupil complain about her calling it a black board.

Bollocks, surely a story like that would have featured in the news, any links?

Or is it just a load of horse shit?
GB123
Premium Member

22nd Feb 15 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, what's her name? It should be easy enough to find her with a quick google, if it really happened that is.

[Edited on 22-02-2015 by GB123]
Jason x
Premium Member

22nd Feb 15 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't tell if people are being serious with this black board business. I don't get what would be wrong with calling it a black board, that's what it is .. like you call a white board....a white board.

Surely by avoiding saying black like it's the dirty word you are offending black people more than just calling something what it is.

[Edited on 22-02-2015 by Jason x]
davegreen
Premium Member

22nd Feb 15 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

private school in London, I said I know of a lady who lost her job not that I know her. it was 5 or 6 years ago now, some one a few doors down from me worked with her at the time and was told along with other teachers not to refer to it as a black board.
not every thing makes it in to the news.
GB123
Premium Member

22nd Feb 15 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
private school in London, I said I know of a lady who lost her job not that I know her. it was 5 or 6 years ago now, some one a few doors down from me worked with her at the time and was told along with other teachers not to refer to it as a black board.
not every thing makes it in to the news.

So they all got the sack then?

How did the school cope with losing all of its staff on the same day? That seems newsworthy.

Also, what school was still using blackboards in 2010?
Jason x
Premium Member

22nd Feb 15 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
How did the school cope with losing all of its staff on the same day?

[Edited on 22-02-2015 by Jason x]
SVM 286

23rd Feb 15 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
^ I'll give you a rough idea. I've had/got a lot of anxiety/social anxiety/depression. I only found out I actually truly had these problems about 5/6 years ago. As said previously, I thought my issues were just 'me' and it was 'who I was' but that wasn't the case. It's difficult to explain, you can't really explain depression. It's not a case of 'feeling fed up' it's a systemic clinical horrible thing that kills you inside. You never have a good day, just some aren't as worse than others. One problem you have/or an incident that happens will turn in to two, three, four problems etc but things are all relative on individual situations. It's incredibely psychological, some days you literally can't get out of bed, and it's nothing to do with laziness, you can be an utter nervous and emotional wreck. And it's why I wasn't working for so long, and why people get time off work to it, because you mentally just can't cope, your mind is controlled and fixed on your problems you just can't function or operate. And, depending on the individual, if you don't have friends/family to help you, or even know about it, then it's just another part of the depression. It never leaves, no matter where you are, what you're doing, it's always there, the depression, anxiety, sickness, worry etc and it can be something so little but it's killing you on the inside. That's a rough idea, anyway.

Have you had it since childhood P?

Or was it something that started at, or was worsened by adolescence?

Is it related to hormonal changes and chemical changes in the brain during and after reaching adulthood?

I ask as I heard a horrendous tale the other day in relation to something a friend encountered in the line of duty (police officer) and i'm interested to know if it's common for children to suffer with clinical depression.

Also, if anything, what in your opinion can family do to assist with the symptoms relating to depression in either children or adults?

Thanks.
p

23rd Feb 15 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by p

Have you had it since childhood P?

Or was it something that started at, or was worsened by adolescence?

Is it related to hormonal changes and chemical changes in the brain during and after reaching adulthood?

I ask as I heard a horrendous tale the other day in relation to something a friend encountered in the line of duty (police officer) and i'm interested to know if it's common for children to suffer with clinical depression.

Also, if anything, what in your opinion can family do to assist with the symptoms relating to depression in either children or adults?

Thanks.

Well as I'm older I look back on many situations and I can finally understand why certain things happened. At the time I thought it was 'me' but a lot of it was pure anxiety. It isn't just anxiety, because with it comes fear, worry, sickness, panic, it all links together. I think I was systemically born/fucked with it from birth. Why? Father had the same shit, grandfather did, my uncle as well, so I think I've been pretty much shafted from birth unfortunately. Looking back as well, I see many signs of what I go through as what my father did, but obviously its taken until the last few years to see. Family genes on the fathers side, in essence has 'given' me a lot of this shit.

Regarding hormonal changes and the likes, I think so, yeah. There's a much more better defined explanation out there somewhere as to why a lot of things aren't as noticeable when you're younger, but it's there.

I think that from my experience, as a child I had many issues but as said wasn't aware of the official cause, and I reckon so many kids go through the same shit and it's absolutely heartbreaking to be honest. It all can ruin your life. It's horrible to actually understand why people committ suicide, and I mean literally understand. To think rather than live in the personal hell and torture, it's better to be dead and not go through it.

Familes NEED to be there for the person, categorically. Mine isn't, mine are fucking useless and I've had to deal with everything on my own. Given the family history you'd think they would help, but no. I know how hard it is, I even think seeing someone go through the same stuff must be so incredibly hard to watch/go through. It isn't just family, I wish schools would teach about anxiety and depression. I know some schools do bullying issues, but anxiety and depression are linked, and I can bet hardly anything is taught to kids at such a seriously vital age. Also regarding family, they just need to be there, to talk more than anything. But being able to actually 'help' it's very hard. Listening is vital. Iphone so apologies for potential grammar mistakes.
SVM 286

24th Feb 15 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ.

Cheers P. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Horrible to think of children suffering with it. At least an adult can obtain the understanding to conceive of what they're going through and attempt to get assistance/comfort/support.

A child will have no idea. I shudder to think what they must go through.

Re your family's lack of empathy. This sounds like a case of familiarity breeds contempt, what with it being so rife on the male side.

Unacceptable way for them to behave towards their own blood though and i'm sorry to hear of your experience Chief.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Feb 15 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know of a lady who lost her job because a pupil complain about her calling it a black board.

I have difficulty believing that is the full story.
pow
Premium Member

24th Feb 15 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

I have difficulty believing that is the full story.

Yup me too.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Feb 15 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also private school or otherwise, I assume the staff will still be unionised to some extent, you can still go to the same tribunals and make the same case.

That's a very, very weak reason indeed to be sacked. I'm quite sure you'd have to try a lot harder than that.

[Edited on 24-02-2015 by Ian]
--ToM--

24th Feb 15 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was probably a pedo and used that as an excuse to hide the real reason for being sacked
Dee25790

24th Feb 15 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suffered my fair share of depression and anxiety growing up. Worst when I was around 17 when I couldnt do things like stand in the queue at tesco without my back and chest tightening up hair standing on end and sweating like a bastard. I went the doctors and was referred to a volunteer service that was basically someone to be open with that wasn't family so I couldn't feel awkward and most importantly weren't judgemental.
I was a kid, I played in shite, fell out of tree, made dens and played with plastic guns for scrapes on my knees and bumps on my head.
Regardless, society puts a lot of pressure on young people's shoulders, socially and academically. I studied my a levels and carried on through life begrudgingly until one day I just decided I didn't want to be depressed anymore I shook the feeling off and carried on with my day with a smile. It took a while but I got there I had a few long years in a shitty job telling myself how lucky I was and how happy I should be every day. Eventually I just sort of accepted what I had was my deal in life, I was lucky to have a roof over my head and all those things that weighed on my mind meant nothing. The last 12 months I've been happy as can be, surprisingly the last 12 months have also been my most trying times in my short life so far, this all culminated about three weeks ago when I landed a new job and the next step in my career.

What I'm trying to say is to the people that suffer with depression even when you feel at your most alone, your not and although it's a daily struggle things can and do get better..

I'm not soft enough to think I'm forever clear of depression but for now I've managed to break from under it.

I think people are far more open now than say in my dads day 40/50 odd years ago which is why it seems that kids are a lot softer. I don't agree with having a lot of time off everyone hits a low but a few weeks every couple of months means the underlying problem isn't being addressed and when your not working you've got nothing but time to dwell on your bad thoughts

[Edited on 24-02-2015 by Dee25790]
DC90

25th Feb 15 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One problem when I was in school was that the kids who acted like cunts, or were labelled with "adhd" were constantly rewarded. "Oh, he's been a shitbag all year but he's behaved for two days so let's take him to Alton Towers ". Bollocks, learn to teach kids right and wrong. People seem scared to properly punish kids. My dad would have knocked me into next week if I acted how a majority of 18 year olds act now. Instead of getting knocked into next week, they go on a gap year and grow a fucking man bun. Toss pots.
spencer88

25th Feb 15 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DC90
One problem when I was in school was that the kids who acted like cunts, or were labelled with "adhd" were constantly rewarded. "Oh, he's been a shitbag all year but he's behaved for two days so let's take him to Alton Towers ". Bollocks, learn to teach kids right and wrong. People seem scared to properly punish kids. My dad would have knocked me into next week if I acted how a majority of 18 year olds act now. Instead of getting knocked into next week, they go on a gap year and grow a fucking man bun. Toss pots.

Exactly this!!!

I used to love mechanics when at school, yet never had the option to do it.
The pricks who had been suspended 10 times or so all went out one day a week to college to do mechanics!

pow
Premium Member

25th Feb 15 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
quote:
Originally posted by DC90

Exactly this!!!

I used to love mechanics when at school, yet never had the option to do it.
The pricks who had been suspended 10 times or so all went out one day a week to college to do mechanics!

Yeah this gets me too. Some cases I can understand if they have a rubbish home life but some just need some sense knocking into them.
taylorboosh

26th Feb 15 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF have you weirdos been doing to apprentices?

Yea theyre young and you take the piss ect.... But making them fight each other, tying them up, physically harming them? Gtf you would be sacked in an instant at any big firm with good cause

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What is it with kids today? 22 database queries in 0.0161459 seconds