corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread

New Poll
  <<  27    28    29    30    31    32    33  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Mar 14 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Aye 'twas Rosberg who lost a bit of his brake shroud.

If that was Lewis it would've pinged off and into his right front and caused a puncture just as he got out the pits

The boy needs some luck!

There were 9 Mercedes Engines used at Melbourne this weekend with two failures, both in Hamiltons car

He must be a car killer, because he's stoopid.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dave

16th Mar 14 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It was crazy, I thought Jonathan Legard had snuck back into the commentary box.

I was watching some onboard from quali with throttle/brake and RPM readouts. The cars were only doing 11000rpm (and they're limited to 15k).

I'm still not exactly sure why they're not using all the range - obviously fuel saving comes into it during the race, and qualifying was wet so perhaps they are torque/grip limited... but normally with turbocharged cars the torque is higher at the lower RPM band.... though with these things fuck knows

Edit: Reason I'm wittering on about RPM is that the engines may be louder if/when they start using more of the range.

[Edited on 16-03-2014 by Kyle T]

I heard something from the commentators that going up to 15k is pointless as the ecu doesn't provide any more fuel, max fuel flow must be at 10-11k I guess.
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th Mar 14 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was interesting about the gearboxes too. How they can decide the ratios but it seems like they can only change them maybe once more in the season? And that they are now 8 speed...yet the 8th gear rarely gets used. If that's the case, like it was today, why not just stick to 7 gears and have slightly longer ratios? Would it be to do with getting the most out of the turbo?

MX5 Project Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Mar 14 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they had 7 longer gears that would leave them exposed at Monaco for example, and if they had 8 short gears they would have a sucky top speed at Monza.

With 8 gears, I guess they feel that they can keep 1-7 short to allow for a competetive Monaco spec, and simply throw in a "bonus" gear for Monza, Spa, etc.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

16th Mar 14 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Aye 'twas Rosberg who lost a bit of his brake shroud.

If that was Lewis it would've pinged off and into his right front and caused a puncture just as he got out the pits

The boy needs some luck!

There were 9 Mercedes Engines used at Melbourne this weekend with two failures, both in Hamiltons car

He must be a car killer, because he's stoopid.

Aye that old chestnut.

Mate, honestly i knew something was going to go wrong! Ever since that stoppage in FP1 i was on edge. In fairness to Lewis he held off Alonso for a lap or 2 with a car running on 5 cylinders, not a bad effort like

I see Merc knew about the misfire on the formation lap but didnt tell Lewis as they hoped it would clear up. Bet that was a painful wait as the lights came on, knowing what was coming! Probably softened the blow that Nico slotted straight through into 1st mind.

Cant be too disappointed though, the car is rapid to say the least, if its reliable, there really shouldnt be much reason to be any less than 2nd. Hoping to see some proper battles between Lewis and Nico this season.

JonnyJ

16th Mar 14 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If they had 7 longer gears that would leave them exposed at Monaco for example, and if they had 8 short gears they would have a sucky top speed at Monza.

With 8 gears, I guess they feel that they can keep 1-7 short to allow for a competetive Monaco spec, and simply throw in a "bonus" gear for Monza, Spa, etc.

Yep thats the idea, though Williams were fair into 8th on parts of Melbourne today. Dont know about the others but unless that 8th is reallllly long i cant see how they wont top out in places like Monza/Spa/Any Tilke track with its generic 50 mile straight.
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th Mar 14 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a shame Lewis couldn't capitalise on the Mercedes dominance immediately. It won't be long before other cars start catching up, so it's vital to score big points early on whilst you still have that advantage.

MX5 Project Thread
JonnyJ

16th Mar 14 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
Just a shame Lewis couldn't capitalise on the Mercedes dominance immediately. It won't be long before other cars start catching up, so it's vital to score big points early on whilst you still have that advantage.

People are saying this and i know what you mean but it'll be more difficult than people think. Merc arent going to stand still, so aero wise, they'll get better and RB aside, there isnt any better in that department. The engine performance is frozen now for the season, they can only make safety/reliability changes and there isnt enough of a gap for the FIA to intervene and allow people like Renault and Ferrari to improve.

Only RB beat Merc last season and if they're as down on power as they look then whose going to catch them? McLaren? No chance. I only see Williams as a threat right now.

[Edited on 16-03-2014 by JonnyJ]
fred7

16th Mar 14 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you say the engines are locked now apart from reliability, what if a map is used to make the engine more reliable and quicker at the same time?
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Mar 14 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The engine is frozen from a "physical" perspective. If I remember right, the teams have to send a sample engine to the FIA sometime in February and at any time the FIA can ask for a "race engine" and compare them.

Mapping wise, I think they can tweak through the year - but I doubt their problems can be fixed by a remap... I'm sure REVO have already been called in for a phase 3.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

16th Mar 14 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know the rules inside out but i suppose that could be possible.

Another thing Merc (and Merc powered cars) have on their side is apparently how frugal they are on fuel. Pretty sure i heard Rosberg (or Merc) say they were "no where near" the limit on fuel, so could've fuelled less/run longer on their fastest setting.

Alonso's comments were telling, sounded very downbeat and its only the 1st race. He knows how far away they are.
JonnyJ

16th Mar 14 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to clarify im not saying its going to be a walkover for Merc, teams will no doubt catch up to a certain extent but what it isnt going to be is a Brawn 2009 whereby one team had an advantage that could easily be copied and once done it was a level playing field again. So its not like if Lewis hasnt won 6 of the first 7 hes not going to win again, ala Button.
Ben G

16th Mar 14 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It was crazy, I thought Jonathan Legard had snuck back into the commentary box.

I was watching some onboard from quali with throttle/brake and RPM readouts. The cars were only doing 11000rpm (and they're limited to 15k).

I'm still not exactly sure why they're not using all the range - obviously fuel saving comes into it during the race, and qualifying was wet so perhaps they are torque/grip limited... but normally with turbocharged cars the torque is higher at the lower RPM band.... though with these things fuck knows

Edit: Reason I'm wittering on about RPM is that the engines may be louder if/when they start using more of the range.

[Edited on 16-03-2014 by Kyle T]

I did wonder where the onboard info had gone. Enjoyed seeing all that and it was non existant today.
whitter45

16th Mar 14 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And fuel plays a part the documentary on sky for Ferrari illustrated shell and their developments in getting the engine to run better. Not sure all teams have to use the same fuel supplier
JonnyJ

16th Mar 14 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, Merc use Petronas, unsurprisingly given their main sponsor
Tiger

17th Mar 14 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I thought the hulkenburg tyre squeal was my cat going mental btw

I thought it was some bitch screaming in the crowd
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Albert Park suing F1 for breach of contract, cars too quiet

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Scotty_B

17th Mar 14 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Albert Park suing F1 for breach of contract, cars too quiet

I like the other sounds you can now hear but the engines sounds like they're riding round behind the safetly car. I miss the V8s.
p

17th Mar 14 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
Originally posted by p
Cars sound so bad

Incorrect.

Engines produce less decibels, but tyre squeal, turbo chatter, the car bottoming out and the crowd noise makes for far better viewing on telly.

I would like a bit more noise as they go up the revs, but it's not essential.

Well it's my opinion so can't be incorrect

But I do take what you're saying on-board! I just don't like the sound. Far too quiet.
JonnyJ

17th Mar 14 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting stat from the weekend. Rosberg set his fastest lap on L19, with 2/3rds of a tank of fuel, everyone else tended to set theirs on the last 2 laps leading people to wonder just how much Rosberg and Merc were leaving on the table.

[Edited on 17-03-2014 by JonnyJ]
Rob_Quads

17th Mar 14 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From the reports coming out it seems like during the race merc and Ferrari were both also told they were using too much fuel and had turn down the engines. Merc are saying it cost them around 0.5 seconds which would explain the lap times we have seen from them. The sesnors apparently give the FIA realtime data so they can see who is using too much fuel
RB were given the same warnings but ignored them saying they knew better
JonnyJ

17th Mar 14 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
From the reports coming out it seems like during the race merc and Ferrari were both also told they were using too much fuel and had turn down the engines. Merc are saying it cost them around 0.5 seconds which would explain the lap times we have seen from them. The sesnors apparently give the FIA realtime data so they can see who is using too much fuel
RB were given the same warnings but ignored them saying they knew better

Yep its done "in play" so the FIA can inform teams in real time
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can of worms this fuel flow rule. If the FIA can tell teams "real time" to effectively limit fuel and slow down during the race, the conspiracy theories could be endless.

Stick with 100kg limit for lights to flag and screw the flow limit IMO. Opens strategy up a bit more too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rick Draper

20th Mar 14 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3371/9222434/-Renault-The-Cause-Of-Red-Bull-Woes-

Boo fucking hoo. You win together and you lose together.
Rob_Quads

20th Mar 14 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like they have lodged an official appeal.

I can't see it going ahead. Whether they agreed with the judgement of using too much fuel or not they were given a clear direction from the race directory to turn it down which they ignored saying "No we know best". The FIA don't like teams doing that.

If it does succeed for them then it opens a real can of worms. If your told to take a drive through could a team then ignore it and say they are contesting it after the race?

<<  27    28    29    30    31    32    33  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0265641 seconds