corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....

New Poll
  <<  28    29    30    31    32    33    34  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....
Robbo

User status: Offline
13th Sep 12 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Looks like EE are only rolling out 4G in major cities at first?
of course!!! It will be mainly London-focussed, think the others are Bristol, Brum, Manc and Newc IIRC
Robbo

13th Sep 12 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
It's going to be fiddly as fuck cutting a micro to a nano sim.

If you've cut a standard sim to a micro you'll probably struggle too, as contact size is also smaller.
as John said, you cant cut a micro sim down to a nano sim
Robbo

13th Sep 12 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I reckon EE will charge a fortune for 4G. They have the monopoly at the moment.

Do we know if the UK 4G is any good? I read that 4G is supposed to give better connection quality than 3G, for example, on a train 3G is pretty much useless as it just drops out all the time. Will 4G improve this?
Price restrictions are set by Ofcom
Balling
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So there ARE benefits of living in a tiny country.
LTE implementation started over a year ago and is already fairly wide spread.

Looking forward to seeing what speeds are achievable.

Dom

13th Sep 12 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watching the Keynote now and it all seems very unimpressive. Was hoping for a spectacle that you use to get with the early gen iPhones but it's all a bit 'done before'.
Hopefully it's not the start of a downwards spiral and they pull something out the bag for the 5S or 6 in two years time.

Also notice there's quite a lot of BS in the keynote - one example, the iPhone is the "World's thinnest smartphone"; actually there are a handful of thinner smartphones, Huawei P1 being one of them at 6.6mm.

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Without sounding too fanboy-like, do you think it's at the stage where the software is getting to be more important than the hardware? Take Whittie's thread about the Playbook he bought - good piece of hardware, well designed and well built but with no apps it's not that useful?

Bit confused how's the Playbook is "not that useful"
Balling
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/apple-lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter/
I really can not understand the pricing of these adapters. Even for Apple, that is remarkably steep!

Will hold out till some 1£ China special is available. Can't take too long.

Dom

13th Sep 12 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
In any case, its a moot point as MNOs will be using lower quality yet longer reaching 1800/2600MHz in the rural areas and the lower frequency, higher quality yet shorter reaching 700/800MHz in the cities, spectrum-dependent clearly.

It's the other way round

Edit - Should add, typically it's - lower the frequency further the distance; higher the frequency shorter the distance but increase in data rates. A lot more comes into play though.

[Edited on 13-09-2012 by Dom]
thegsi

13th Sep 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are there any UK networks taking pre-orders tomorrow?
ed

13th Sep 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Because it's like all tablets, without the 'Apps' it's just a screen with a web browser and email client in it. The value of these products come from the software and there aren't many people developing for BB at the moment.

[Edited on 13-09-2012 by ed]
chrisritch

13th Sep 12 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsi

Three are, rang them earlier and they said to go in store tomorrow.
ed

13th Sep 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
thats wildy off kilter for you Ed :/

I stand corrected - I always thought that was one of the advantages of 4G, hence it being seen as the savour for rural broadband users.
Balling
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Because it's like all tablets, without the 'Apps' it's just a screen with a web browser and email client in it.
Which is something like 95% of what I use my iPad for...

Dom

13th Sep 12 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Because it's like all tablets, without the 'Apps' it's just a screen with a web browser and email client in it. The value of these products come from the software and there aren't many people developing for BB at the moment.

Surely it depends on the intended purpose?
If you're after a tablet purely for web browsing then it makes the Playbook extremely useful as it offers a brilliant web experience compared to a lot of other tablets on the market.
ed

13th Sep 12 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've probably made a bit of a sweeping assumption, but I do believe that having a good selection of apps and a strong developer base adds value to a platform and ultimately the device the platform runs on.
Robbo

13th Sep 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

I stand corrected - I always thought that was one of the advantages of 4G, hence it being seen as the savour for rural broadband users.
for rural users yes, that is the case because the frequency happens to be higher (or lower accordign to dom - im not a tech expert so ill take his word for it lol) and so reaches further... in germany where we have the biggest LTE network, we've used the high (or low lol) for rural areas in conjucntion with LTE MBB sticks to enable broadband but the opposite in the urban areas in conjunction with the limited number of LTE enabled handsets. My point was more that it's frequency specific as oppsoed to 4G specific but obviosuly the frequency + the speeds achieveable mean it is ideally placed for rural BB (also worth noting that almost all of the spectrum auctions containc lauses forcing MNOs to cover certain areas as oppsoed to just a set percentage of the population etc.)
Toby
Premium Member

13th Sep 12 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I've probably made a bit of a sweeping assumption, but I do believe that having a good selection of apps and a strong developer base adds value to a platform and ultimately the device the platform runs on.

Agreed.
Dom

13th Sep 12 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

Technically on the lower bands, LTE should be able to provide better coverage than 3G. Hence why it'll get pushed to increase the UK broadband coverage.
Obviously the higher bands will be use inner-city for the increase in bandwidth.

And, perhaps Orbbo can clarify, but i think O2 and Voda will be sharing (not in a T-Mobile/Orange way) the 800 and 2600; so eventually they should have better coverage than EE/Three.

As a side note, 3G doesn't operate in the 1800 spectrum, rather in the UK it's in the 1900-2180. GSM is 900 and 1800 (technically it's 860-960 and 1710-1870)
Robbo

13th Sep 12 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a Playbook at wprk for a few weeks back tghis time last year and it was goof for internet browsingh but that was literally it - be a very expensive browser IMO
Robbo

13th Sep 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

Technically on the lower bands, LTE should be able to provide better coverage than 3G. Hence why it'll get pushed to increase the UK broadband coverage.
Obviously the higher bands will be use inner-city for the increase in bandwidth.

And, perhaps Orbbo can clarify, but i think O2 and Voda will be sharing (not in a T-Mobile/Orange way) the 800 and 2600; so eventually they should have better coverage than EE/Three.

As a side note, 3G doesn't operate in the 1800 spectrum, rather in the UK it's in the 1900-2180. GSM is 900 and 1800 (technically it's 860-960 and 1710-1870)
on LTE, yes although 3 are also included as they arent currently allowed to refarm the 1800MHz for 4G. On 3G, again, not a techy so you could well be correct
Robbo

13th Sep 12 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a side point on 4G btw, EE are ridiculously allowing Virgin Media to sell LTE also so another avenue should you not want to go with EE but do want 4G (although would genuinely suggest not doing so unless you lvie and work in Central London as it will be a little pap, quite expensive and youll be locked in when evceryone else gets it and the pricing becomes a lot more fluid)

An absolutely disgusting decision from Ofcom btw to allow the refarming (clearly im biased but still, imagine if ASDA wasnt allowed to open a store for 3 months but M&S could refurbish an existing furniture stroe into an M&S food shop and have a monopoly for 3 months - same principle!)

currently the launch by EE is on hold as Ofcome forced everyone to sign an "as is scenario" agreement on Monday to not launch from EE and not sue by everyone else until a solution can be reached
thegsi

13th Sep 12 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
quote:
Originally posted by thegsi

Three are, rang them earlier and they said to go in store tomorrow.

Cheers mate. Rang Vodafone and they don't know anything yet.
Robbo

13th Sep 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah go to a store, of course they know - stupid phone monkeys
LeeM

13th Sep 12 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why is the white one blue around rhe edge here?
http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/ios/
Whittie

13th Sep 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
why is the white one blue around rhe edge here?
http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/ios/

LeeM

13th Sep 12 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have i missed something?

<<  28    29    30    31    32    33    34  >>

New Poll