corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread

New Poll
  <<  28    29    30    31    32    33    34  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread
Gsi_Ire

User status: Offline
20th Mar 14 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
The engine is frozen from a "physical" perspective. If I remember right, the teams have to send a sample engine to the FIA sometime in February and at any time the FIA can ask for a "race engine" and compare them.

Mapping wise, I think they can tweak through the year - but I doubt their problems can be fixed by a remap... I'm sure REVO have already been called in for a phase 3.

It was mentioned on Sky that if they could show a significant cost savings (with the push towards cheaper f1 these days) they (renault) may be able to make an arguement to be able to introduce an updated engine, they didnt say it was a given it would be allowed, but that they might be able to try.

fred7

21st Mar 14 at 06:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Looks like they have lodged an official appeal.

I can't see it going ahead. Whether they agreed with the judgement of using too much fuel or not they were given a clear direction from the race directory to turn it down which they ignored saying "No we know best". The FIA don't like teams doing that.

If it does succeed for them then it opens a real can of worms. If your told to take a drive through could a team then ignore it and say they are contesting it after the race?

Also if they do succeed then all the other teams will be hard done by. Mclaren (mag) was very close to dan that bit of extra fuel could of helped him!!
JonnyJ

21st Mar 14 at 06:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're appealing on the basis the fuel flow metre was faulty and they didn't exceed the fuel flow. If that turns out to be the case, RB were right and running within the rules then how are Mclaren hard done by?
Ben G

21st Mar 14 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally don't believe red bull have done anything wrong. They received their warning (as did others) and they sorted it out.

If they did break the rules, that's a massive :facepapm: moment and i'd be very angry towards the team if i were vettel/ricciardo.
Rob_Quads

21st Mar 14 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jonny - If the meters are faulty then McLaren also may not have needed to turn down thier engine so much. If they hadn't they probably would have over taken the RB so it would have affected them.

Ben G - When you say they sorted it out - in what way? AFAIK they just ignored the warning saying their sensors don't agree. Other teams took the advice and turned down their engines (maybe they also didn't agree but they complied)
Ben G

21st Mar 14 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean they didn't ignore the warning and the fuel flow rate sensor was faulty and gave a false reading.
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st Mar 14 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/motorhead-uk/f1-cars-jumped-milk-floats-does-anyone-really-154950113.html

That video really gets across the big difference in volume.

MX5 Project Thread
John

21st Mar 14 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has that been taken with the same equipment and/or calibrated both when recording and producing the final video? If not it's about as useful as the people who take pictures of fitting different bulbs and showing the second picture with different colour temperature and exposure settings.
Dom

23rd Mar 14 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have only just caught up, it was on the whole, decent opener for the season.

Rosberg did really well but it seemed a bit of a Vettel yesteryear win in that the car's sheer performance meant he wasn't challenged and he just had to keep in on the 'black' stuff. Hopefully, the rest of the season doesn't follow suit otherwise it'll end up being another pretty dull year.
Shame about Hamilton though, especially after his pole lap. But it's just one of those 'things' i guess. Let's hope Merc don't continue to have reliability issues.

McLaren did well all weekend, decent performance by both drivers, no major cock up's and both cars finished which is a plus.
Shame Button got caught up in the yellows at the end of Q2 as that ruined his chance of getting another decent lap in, although he mentioned that he was a bit more lenient in backing off in the sector compared to other drivers. Either way still managed a solid drive in the race and it seems McLaren offered him a decent strategy, for once, that gained him a good few positions.
Magnussen, the boy did extremely well especially after his massive brown-trouser moment off the start Would have been nice to see him challenge Ricciardo a bit more but i suspect fuel managing had a lot to do with it.

Williams are clearly the underdogs this year and they look to be in brilliant shape - hopefully it continues

Absolutely gutting about Ricciardo and his DSQ. After putting in a solid performance all weekend, getting his first F1 podium finish as well as being in his home country - it must be like getting kicked in the bollocks.
I'm very much in two minds over the penalty though. On one hand i feel RBR should have taken the full brunt of the penalty as ultimately the blame fully lies with the them and their 'smart arse' decision making to go against FIA, rather than the driver receiving the penalty as they have little to no input into the decision to change maps/fuel-rates. On the other hand though, RBR ignoring the formal requests gave them and their driver an unfair advantage (don't think it's been mentioned what advantage the extra fuel flow had) over other teams/drivers, and could be seen as cheating, and disqualifying the team/driver removes the issue completely.
Obviously, if other teams are mentioning the same in that the Gill Sensors meter is inaccurate then they need to be rectified pronto; but i guess it boils down to - don't fuck with the FIA

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I heard something from the commentators that going up to 15k is pointless as the ecu doesn't provide any more fuel, max fuel flow must be at 10-11k I guess.

Yup, the enforced fuel rate limits means performance drastically plateaus after 11k so there's little advantage in stressing the engines further. Massive shame though as i suspect an extra few thousand revs would make a world of difference to the noise.

quote:
Originally posted by John
Has that been taken with the same equipment and/or calibrated both when recording and producing the final video?

The level of the background commentator shows that the volume of both videos is roughly the same, certainly enough for this demonstration anyway. And it's still clear as daylight that there is a significant drop in volume with the new engines but there was always going to be with having turbos stuck on the end of the exhausts.

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Let them have it, they're winning the square root of fuck all again this year so no biggie

Now that after watching one race you've taken yourself to be some form of Mystic Meg - have you got next weeks winning lottery numbers?

*await your typical bullshit baiting reply*

[Edited on 23-03-2014 by Dom]
Rob_Quads

23rd Mar 14 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

A couple of reports have said that turning down the fuel on full tilt cost the Merc 0.5s per lap which sounds a lot i.e. if it was similar for McLaren then Magnussen could really have challenged the RB had they ignored it
JonnyJ

23rd Mar 14 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't see how it's such an outlandish prediction to make

Mclaren are at best the 3rd fastest car, with quite a large gap between them and Merc. I can't see them overturning that deficit to become realistic championship contenders this season. I could understand if it was close but Merc blew the field away without even fully extending themselves, as Rosbergs post race comments indicated.

I think you've read my comment as not winning a race all season, which is not what i was saying. You can win all the races you want but if you finish 2nd in either Championship, you've won nothing.
Dom

23rd Mar 14 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
I think you've read my comment as not winning a race all season, which is not what i was saying.

I'm not sure how else you could read your reply other than as an intended dig at McLaren

As your last reply contradicts the first, are you suggesting that you don't know the definition of 'Fuck All'? Or are you just attempting to back-pedal on the dig?

Either way, my point was that after one race you can't pull out season predictions from your rectum. Otherwise in the same vein we could happily argue that because of Mercedes continuing reliability issues and McLaren being ahead in the constructors, pigs actually fly
JonnyJ

23rd Mar 14 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arsenal have won many games in the last 9 years, ask anybody what they've won and they'll tell you "fuck all"

I also believe you can make predictions whenever the fuck you like least I've got the balls to make them. My comments are there for all to see and I'll happily admit I was wrong if Mclaren turn it round and win the constructors or drivers. £20 says they don't though, fancy a bet?
Tiger

23rd Mar 14 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was sat a bit further down the grandstand from where that video was shot at the Australia GP last year and fuck me, it was loud.
Ben G

23rd Mar 14 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

18,000 or whatever rpm is obviously going to be louder than 11,000 rpm.
Steve
Premium Member

24th Mar 14 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lolz at quitting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/26721387
Rick Draper

24th Mar 14 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
lolz at quitting

Typical of a team with no history.
Dave

24th Mar 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
quote:
lolz at quitting

Typical of someone who doesn't read the article.
tom130691
Premium Member

24th Mar 14 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new F1 intro

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152336492702938
Rick Draper

24th Mar 14 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
quote:
quote:
lolz at quitting

Typical of someone who doesn't read the article.

Typical of someone who cannot see a dummy spit when its so blatant. Boo hop, we got DQ'd lets throw our toys out of the pram and threaten to quit.

If he is so upset with F1 why does he not setup his own series. Oh wait, I don't think you would see Ferrari, Williams or McLaren joining him
Dom

24th Mar 14 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Typical of someone who cannot see a dummy spit when its so blatant.

It's exactly that, an empty threat due to the DSQ with a good moan thrown in about the new formula being terrible because its causing them a load of headaches with development

The FIA is not going to take a blind bit of notice and unlikely to change the verdict, otherwise the FIA would just be ripping that part of the rulebook out and opening up a huge can of worms in that teams could start using their own fuel-flow sensors (obviously all being 'calibrated' to their advantage ) whilst ignoring FIA instructions.
Dave

25th Mar 14 at 06:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He wasn't asked if he was considering quitting, he was asked what it would take to make them quit. Trouble making journos then put 2 and 2 together and got the same answer as you.
Dom

25th Mar 14 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
"... from our perspective there is a clear limit to what we can accept."

What ever way you look at it, that reply does appear to be a little 'loaded' more so when you remember that Dietrich has been quite vocal in the past, usually at a time when one of the teams are in a spot of bother, about their commitment and withdrawing the teams if he finds they're in F1 for the sake of it, ie - not winning.
Ben G

28th Mar 14 at 03:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hamilton fastest in practice 1

Raikkonen 2nd is interesting.
tom130691
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 09:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nico Rosberg beat Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen to set fastest time in second practice at the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel was third as the fastest three cars were split by just 0.061 seconds.

<<  28    29    30    31    32    33    34  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0218101 seconds