corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  29    30    31    32    33    34    35  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Aug 13 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Analogue

Got a Pro-sport Boost Gauge in my vectra like the one in the video - decent piece of kit!

Is it noisy on startup? Seen some videos and the motor mechanism seems really noisy.

I'm preferring the look of the digital ones the more I look but the sunlight thing could be a valid issue.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can hear the motor acting when no other noise is present yes - however, it's not that bad though, not overly loud. I can't hear it atall when in use, so not really an issue to me.

However, as you appear to have OCD at times, this may not be acceptable...
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It beeps on startup too as it does it's self check sequence.
Wrighty

6th Aug 13 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

analogue gauges fonz, good lad
Norcy91

6th Aug 13 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting very tempted by this shape Impreza lately! Fancying a WR1, even if it's just for a year to say i've owned one
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Mr Gritt, I believe the beep is mutable?

Norcy, I was close to going for a WR1 but after doing my research felt I got a better purchase with my 05 one. The WR1s get a lot of stick on Scoobynet etc because they fetch a premium despite being a lower spec than the 2005 Blobeyes.

In 2005/06 until the Hawkeye came out the Blobeye was given a facelift interior, wider track at the rear and the driver controlled centre differential. The WR1 were all 2004 so had none of the above, yet despite that still fetch a premium because of their limited run.

I still like the WR1s though, I remember the one BluKoos brother had and it was fucking stunning.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Infact, I'm lying - it did have DCCD.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Norcy91

6th Aug 13 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right, i'm not too clued up on all the different specs!

One like yours would be ideal, is that just a WRX STi with the PPP package? What sort of price am I looking at for a decent condition one with around 60k or less miles?
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was PPP, the WR1 technically came with PPP as standard although it was claimed to be 315bhp rather than the 305bhp claimed by the "normal" STI PPPs... Dyno runs at the time showed that either spec rarely went over 300 anyway

They say don't get too hung up on getting a PPP one, as a decent exhaust/filter/map should cruise 320bhp anyway. Mine just happened to be a PPP regardless, it's not like I went out looking for one and since I've now replaced the exhaust, technically there's nothing PPP about it other than the certificate.

The prodrive wheels were nothing to do with PPP, they're just an option. The Prodrive suspension was available as a "PPP Suspension Pack" which again is separate to the PPP which I got. I've since added prodrive springs as a modification though.

The 05/55/06 Blobeye's are the ones which fetch a premium along with the WR1s, a tidy WR1 I'd expect to be the most expensive of them all. I believe a certain WR1 mentioned in this thread already went for £14k not so long ago

The 05/55/06 ones are referred to as "widetracks" and they seem to fetch £8k up, even high milers. Low milers I've seen for 9k and some nicely modded ones sell for £10k+. A guy local to me actually made money on these widetracks, albeit only £500 over 6 months

The 2003-2004 ones are coming VERY cheap now, 6k seems to be the upper for these at low mileage which is just mental considering how much car you get (IMO).

Hawkeyes are actually coming cheaper than the widetrack Blobs now due to their engine issues, but a forged one will fetch REALLY good money and is something I'd possibly do if I was starting my Subaru adventure from scratch tomorrow.

JDM cars are another story, fetch more cash and are better specced out across the range. JDM Hawks are probably the most expensive as they've got the Hawk appearance/technology/toys but they've got the 2.0 engine from the Blobs. The 2.5 engine was a bit of a clanger.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Norcy91

6th Aug 13 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm... a lot to think about then! So the only differences between a standard 2003/4 STi and a 2005 STi is the facelift interior, wider rear track, the DCCD and a couple of £k's?

Is the DCCD even needed?
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep that pretty much covers the differences. There are some other really daft things like my coolant header tank is plastic instead of aluminum, and I think my steering rack bushes are different but the core differences are as you listed.

Personally my DCCD is on "Auto" 99% of the time. I played around with it when it was snowing, and apparently it's quite fun on track... but you're quicker and safer with it being in Auto... meaning you gain nothing from it being adjustable.

I think the wider rear track is the biggest difference in terms of performance... but even then it's a tiny amount

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Norcy91

6th Aug 13 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really want to drive one to see what they're like!

One minute i want to keep going with my Cooper S and get it on track, the next i want something with decent power straight out of the box!
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was always my dilemma with my CTR. I loved it to bits, but it was so difficult to get any improvements out of in terms of power.

We know how my dilemma worked out

You're not far from me if you ever want a ride!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Cheers Mr Gritt, I believe the beep is mutable?

No idea. Possibly. It only Beeps if you push one of the buttons (that can be optionally attached - changes illumination White, Blue, Amber or indicates Peak boost value) and on Start-up. Again, not something that happens during normal use so not really a problem IMO.
BarnshaW

6th Aug 13 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get defis, they are expensive but they are superb bits of kit, even in daylight they are as clear as anything, a set of defis with the link and you are good to go.
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
get defis, they are expensive but they are superb bits of kit, even in daylight they are as clear as anything, a set of defis with the link and you are good to go.

I've been stalking forums for these for AGES. They're over £100 PER GAUGE without thinking about sensors, the pod and the controller. The prosport setup is £300 all in.

The 2nd hand price seems to be between 4 and 500 which I'd pay for the 3x gauges, controller, pod and sensors but the only ones which have come up recently have had white illumination... I want red/amber.

I agree they're far better than the prosports from what I've seen, but I've been stalking classifieds for months now and I'm getting bored.

Anyhow, might have spotted something else to distract my funds for a bit...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

6th Aug 13 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this regarding the email conversation from yesterday?
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Aug 13 at 06:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

7th Aug 13 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CORSA NUT

7th Aug 13 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the Prosport set up in my classic Kyle and they were fine. You can turn off the beeps and just have them as a warning when you need it.

Warning though if you disconnect the battery they rest and you have to kill the beeps again which is surprisingly hard when doing all 3 imagine hearing beeps when your trying to not hear a beep if that makes sense

Only thing I would have got different is a wide band AFR as the narrow band I had wasn't accurate.
CORSA NUT

7th Aug 13 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also might be worth emailing the big breakers on SN and asking if they come in to message you? Deffi's that is
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Aug 13 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Mr Nut, appreciate the review.

After my adventure/goose chase with the rolling road(s) and AFR issues, I can certainly appreciate the value of a wideband sensor and is something I'll seriously consider if/when I take the engine tuning further.

Well, that aside - I asked CS what they preferred and I've made my decision; so today... I bought some coilovers

Rewinding back to early in the year, I went through the hassle of refurbing my OEM shocks to resolve a known issue of clunking rear shocks. The fix worked a treat and they've been fine since, however I've still always had the intention of moving to a good set of coilovers eventually.

I didn't go for coilovers right away as I didn't want to spend a bit of cash to end up with a ride quality worse than that of the OEM suspension. I do a lot of my spirited driving on bumpy B roads so bouncing off the road isn't something I'd like to be doing.

The "go-to" entry level coilover choices I had seemed to be around the 6-800quid mark in the flavour of the BC Racing BR series and the Racing Logic "Hyper Street" series.

Both choices get good reviews, but also come with the disclaimer that OEM ride quality will be reduced on less than racetrack quality surfaces. I would have spent more if it meant a good set of suspension without sacrificing "fast road" capability, but the more you spend the more track focused the options become.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, I was reading a review on a US Impreza forum regarding the BC Racing ER series. Their "flagship" coilover apparently which comes with a whole host of fancy sounding features but the biggie which seems to set them apart is the external reservoir which I know to be a feature on real high end suspension from various racing series and technologies. The review was glowing, and it was based on a dude who bought the kit with the stiffest spring option for a daily driver, and wouldn't stop honking about how good they were on back roads and eating up bumps. I did some digging and found more (similar) positive reviews to the same tune, especially after their design was revised some time in 2011(?).

They come with 32(?) levels of separately adjustable dampening/rebound settings which should give me enough nerd tweaking to do to last me a lifetime, but with an appropriately configured setup these are supposedly excellent on "normal" road conditions as well as being capable on track.

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/er-series-coilovers

Coincidence/fate I dunno, but about an hour later some fella posted on the Scoobynet classifieds with a set of "ER" coilovers for sale. They had the "medium" spring stiffness option and they had done TEN MILES on a car before the car was dismantled. From what he says, it was a track/demo car which did a few laps on track and then sat around for ages before finally being broken to fund something else. The coilovers have still got 9 months transferable warranty left on them and they seriously look perfect. Best bit, they're almost £500 cheaper than retail so a few e-mails later and we've arranged to meet up and exchange cash for coilovers on Saturday morning.

Not handed a deposit over yet, so still chance for it to fall through - but it sounds like I've got some new toys to fit

I spoke a few pages ago about a roll centre adjustment kit which should be fitted if lowering the car. As previously discussed I've got no desire to "slam" this car, but I've ordered a kit anyway to make sure I'm not restricting myself. I'm not sure what ride height the current owner has used, but I'll use his settings as a base and then take it from there.

Needless to say, gauges have been delayed again

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

7th Aug 13 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hope you get rid of a little arch gap though, glad you have finally managed to get a set
BarnshaW

7th Aug 13 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

christ, i dont mean to say i told you so but i remember the u2us and me telling you to just go with coilovers to start with

good ones they are, had BC's on mine, they were great!
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Aug 13 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know I know.

Thing is, I'd have happily stayed on OEM suspension for another year - it was just the timing of me reading the review and then seeing the classifieds sale. A quick price check and my trigger finger was well beyond the control of my brain

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  29    30    31    32    33    34    35  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0272031 seconds