corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  30    31    32    33    34    35    36  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
7th Aug 13 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do they have the extenders for the rear? if not worth getting them, saves removing the rear seats to adjust the back ones everytime.
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Aug 13 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good call, I'll e-mail him to find out.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Phil W

7th Aug 13 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a Prosport boost gauge, works well. Originally ordered an Electronic one but after seeing a vid on youtube where the electronic is much slower to react, i decided against it and went for a manual one. This is mine, white day time and green night time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=F9C6z2bD0J8
0775kieran

7th Aug 13 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where lamco gauges not available for newer models? Used to like them in the classic with boost gauge on steering column etc.
Wrighty

8th Aug 13 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fcuk gauges lets get these goodies fitted :d iv got a set of extenders for the rears you can have. they came with mine..but i had no rear seats
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Aug 13 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
fcuk gauges lets get these goodies fitted :d iv got a set of extenders for the rears you can have. they came with mine..but i had no rear seats

Nice one, doesn't look like mine are coming with extenders but I believe they're only £20 or so from BC.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

8th Aug 13 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can have mine for £21
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

8th Aug 13 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have BC racing coilovers on my megane! No issues with them what so ever!
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Aug 13 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Project Mascot update... not in the mood for photobombing atm

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

8th Aug 13 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Aug 13 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How's this for nicely packaged, love opening boxes like this

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

8th Aug 13 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still photo bombing
chris_uk
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your going to have fun setting that suspension out lol.

Just remember a 60/40 split between bump n rebound. (bump being softer of the two)
Simon_16v

9th Aug 13 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's okay, he has my huge experience of setting up suspension

Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got some baseline settings to use, and see how they feel. Even if it feels "fine" with those reference settings, I'll still piss around so that I learn how the changes have an impact.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXIBrad

9th Aug 13 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet you took that picture a hundred times to get the cat in the right position!
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 13:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No way, she's a complete camwhore.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Headed over to Bradford to meet my coilover seller half way this morning. The exchange went without incident and before long was back home ready for the install.

To remind y'all, this is how my car sat before today. Distance from centre cap centre to arch measured at 35.5cm all the way around:

Simon was on hand to return some of the labour charges he owned me, though was quick to point out that labour on an Impreza should be worth more because racecar.

Step one:

Started with the fronts as no interior removal required, took about 5-6 minutes and we had a strut out... something tells me that the car will be lower

No cat-devo rust in here:

Whipped the new one in with minimal effort, only point worth noting is that there's a clip for the brake hose but NOT the ABS cable so something would need fabricating for that.(later dealt with by cableties)

Old tophat vs new:

We got the hub back up to the shock with the aid of my jack and got the passenger side all hooked up. Removing the OEM shock from the driver side was a right bitch though because we'd loaded the ARB up so much... in hindsight we should have removed both shocks before installing either new one.

As a result, we had a casualty and nicked the CV boot with my old shock on the driver side The cut is in a really "good" position ie not on a flexing bit, really close to the hub. I've cleaned and patched with a halfords pushbike puncture repair kit to hopefully last until I get a new CV boot bought and fitted.

Eventually both fronts were done and bolts done up hand tight.

Had a brew break and then attacked the rears. Rear bench out first to access the tophats at the back.

Old vs New:

In:

This shot shows how little droop I've now got... the "ride height" was measured as the same 35.5cm distance with NO load on the car

Camber was all over the shop, we failed miserably to get the camber bolts anywhere near neutral. Twas' my intention to leave the camber neutral at the bolts and then adjust at the top hats for convenience, I could always gain "bonus" camber if I ever needed it by using the bolts. As a result of our useless-ness I had the passenger rear with tonnes of positive camber at the bolts so had to max out negative on the tophat to neutralise it and the exact opposite scenario on the rear drive side . Total fuck up but my wheels are somewhere in the ballpark till' I sort alignment.

Dropped the front driver side to the floor and look how the rear passenger reacted (about 6 inches clear of the axle stand...)

Once down on the deck, checked for any contact with wheel arches and all seemed clear, so went out for a quick shakedown with the following settings:

Front Rebound: 15 clicks from soft
Front Bump: 15 clicks from soft

Rear Rebound: 10 clicks from soft
Rear Bump: 10 clicks from soft

Even though each adjuster goes from 0-32, they reckon the first 10 clicks of bump is redundant due to diminishing returns, so the bump is effectively as soft as it goes on the rear. These baseline settings were given to me as a starting point for "fast road" but the alterations are dead easy with the rebound being adjusted from beneath the external resevoir (no jacking up required) and the bump from the tophats. I'll need to steal Wrighty's extenders but for now I'm leaving the rear seat out. Nice upgrade for the front room though...

The ride quality was excellent, I went for a gentle ride down my favourite B-roads and the bounces were replaced with a quick spring back to position after a big compression and immediate stability. The bumps weren't crashy either, no nasty bangs and still perfectly reasonable for a daily driver. REALLY impressed so far, but not keen on throwing the car around till' I've raised it 5mm or so and got the camber all squared up.

As for the ride height, it's too low for me aesthetically but I'm sure CS will approve To be fair, I had no scrubbing during "normal" driving on the shakedown but full lock over a speedbump or mini roundabout hump results in a little nudge to the inner arch. The drop is near enough 25mm lower than the car was earlier in the day so I reckon I'll settle for between 15-20mm eventually.

Didn't really have the energy to fit the roll centre adjustment kit (balljoints and trackrod ends) today but they're certainly a prerequisite to my alignment session. My wishbones are currently pointing slightly skywards so no good for the geometry... so I read

Hoping to get my alignment done by Steven @ SD Motorsport (the local guy who builds a few timeattack cars) because he's local and doesn't mind helping me out on a week night. Once I get in touch I'll have it booked in then I can really throw the car around and find out how it feels.

Oh, one more thing - I thought my old rear shocks were creaking a bit on bumps but found today it's my ARB bushings so need to get those greased at somepoint.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian W

10th Aug 13 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks really good

Your coilovers look expensive!

Wrighty

10th Aug 13 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh yeah

do you need to borrow my C spanners to wind it down a bit more
Ben G

10th Aug 13 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks smart like that.

at the cat. Serves the little bastard right.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
That looks really good

Your coilovers look expensive!

Ta, they weren't cheap tbh but still saved £500 or so over buying them new. I certainly believe his claim of 10 miles only on these coilovers, they were mint other than a bit of grime caught in the grease of the threads.

GTFO Wrighty. It ain't rubbin' cos it ain't dubbin'. Or something, I heard that in McDonalds once.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Looks smart like that.

at the cat. Serves the little bastard right.

Harsh. Poor little bugger just hit puberty, got a bit horny then got her ovaries stolen. I feel a bit sorry for her

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

10th Aug 13 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

External reservoir dampers I bet that will handles AMAZINGLY
GB123
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
External reservoir dampers

Like on a clio trophy

<<  30    31    32    33    34    35    36  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0237889 seconds