corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  33    34    35    36    37    38    39  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Sep 13 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Referencing USB ports - I'm looking to butcher something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRIFFIN-TWIN-2-PORT-USB-UNIVERSAL-12V-CAR-CHARGER-ADAPTER-CIGAR-SOCKET-LIGHTER-/111151990397?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item19e12cc67d

And then mount it fully in the Dash somewhere - it works from the 12v of the Lighter socket, so simplt attaching wires to the existing power connections will be all it needs, other than mounting.
chris_uk
Premium Member

4th Sep 13 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm looking forward to seeing it out on the track

have you got a passenger yet? can i be? (if im not busy that is)
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Sep 13 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I promised you the spot a few pages ago, so it's yours if you want it!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Sep 13 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well ill bring my lid, but i might be busy with the TA car so fingers crossed
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Sep 13 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excluding a few finishing touches, I finished off my camera mount fabrication tonight.

I had the roof light fitting and I knew I was looking for some tubing about 30mm in diameter. I found some piping in Homebase but it was really flimsy plastic and I was concerned about vibrations etc.

I went to my Dads last night to say hello, and as if by chance I saw three cardboard tubes in the corner - all 30mm in diameter and with really thick walls - much sturdier than the plastic and could not be bent by hand!

I nicked a bit, and tonight I cut it down to size and fitted it into the light fitting.

I used two self tapping screws and a load of epoxy resin.

Once dried, we have the finished article!

The phone holder, cabletied on for now:

From the top, ideal place to thread down some USB wiring in future

I trial fitted and went for a drive, it's almost too mental to be true - but after I rigged up the camera (pulled over to the side of a quiet B road) I got back in the driver seat and was just about to pull away when a motorbike wheelied past me, all caught on camera

I proceeded to follow him and he had some *almost* knee-down corners... quite funny to watch from behind

After returning home, I reviewed the footage and found that the rear view mirror was still taking up too much road for my liking, so I'll adjust it an inch or so lower tomorrow and have another test. I can't go too low as you then just get bonnet scoop and dashboard

Pretty good footage from the phone though, overlaid with MPH, RPM and acceleration in G's

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Christopher

6th Sep 13 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vids of the bike looks good mate! You going to trax then?
taylorboosh

6th Sep 13 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck with the track day
daymoon
Premium Member

7th Sep 13 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am sure I have seen you yesterday. About 4pm in Selby?
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Sep 13 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
Vids of the bike looks good mate! You going to trax then?

I can't/won't upload the video of the bike... there's a certain piece of information overlayed onto the footage which may get me into trouble I certainly will be at Trax.

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
I am sure I have seen you yesterday. About 4pm in Selby?

You probably did, I would have been in Selby at around that time.

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Good luck with the track day

Thanks John, only doing one wee session so hardly a full day of abuse for the car - but a good shakedown and introduction into track driving ready for a "proper" day.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Sep 13 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did some last minute prep yesterday/today for Trax.

First up, remember that pipe I polished up under the engine bay? Well it rusted again as expected - so got that painted:

I had a failed attempt at wiring a USB socket into the 12v harness from the interior light... end up just blowing up a capacitor type thing on the USB port

Gave the car a fairly thorough (as thorough as I'd do without machine polishing/stripping etc.) clean, consisting of:

Snow Foam
Dodo Juice Born to be Mild 2BM clean
Dry
Hand Polish with Werkstatt Prime
Window Polish from AG
Werkstatt Jett Sealant top-up
Plast-X on headlights
Aerospace 303 on black bits
AG SRP on wheels, coated with Poorboys sealant.
Megs Tyre Treatment stuff.

Interior vac'd, cleaned, etc....

Just in time for it to rain

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Sep 13 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What time are you setting off
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Sep 13 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0500 - 0530 I think.

Plan on taking it steady with plenty of coffee stops

And fuel stops

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Sep 13 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol. Im on my way now, ill see u there.
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Sep 13 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle, if your looking at this at all today we are in garage 11a. Come say hello by all means
taylorboosh

8th Sep 13 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why didnt you get his number before today lol
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Sep 13 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never thought.. Plus its not exactly important.. Im sure he will see us when he walks past the pits.
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Sep 13 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Walked past earlier Chris, saw your car but not you... on that note, what do you look like?

Sat in a grandstand for the next hour or so then will wander round.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Sep 13 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in the garage, i have chris on my t-shirt.

Do me a favour tho.. Pop all those fucking bass speakers on your way down.. Ive got a banging headache! Lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Sep 13 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha yeah it was pretty annoying when we walked through!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Sep 13 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Epic day at Trax, etc etc.

Was running late on arrival as we underestimated entry traffic a bit, and missed my track briefing by about 40mins...

Willay greeted me with my sign in sheet so I grabbed Simon (my passenger) and we hooned on over to the briefing area.

After some puppy-eyed "have I missed my chance?" type conversations we got signed up and Simon was told to pull my car into the staging area whilst I attended a briefing. The next briefing was due to start at 09: 00 and my track time was 09:20... and it was a 20min briefing

Finally got into the briefing room at 09: 07 and Simon was already sat waiting at the front of the queue in my car... a few words were exchanged in the briefing room and I was pulled out with 3 other guys all scheduled for the 09:20 session for a fastrack brief.

Quick sprint later, was sat in the car knackered and ready to go!

Rushed the camera setup, so it was wonky and forgot to plug in the ECU adaptor for info overlay... but the footage isn't bad other than that. Will upload it in good time after the guys back at the factory have analysed it.

I could probably sum up my session as "timid". I was intimidated a lot more than I anticipated by traffic, as not many people seemed keen on only overtaking to the left.

Car felt excellent in the corners and towards the end of the session I was coming onto the gas much earlier than I ever thought possible and the car remained stable which was good. At no point did the front wash out on me or did the back break loose, which means I wasn't trying hard enough... but baby steps n' that.

Car had more body roll than I expected, but I was still running my shocks pretty soft in the compression/rebound settings - so plenty of scope to tighten that up for next time.

At around lap three I said to Simon "I can brake much harder than this" so proceeded to prove my point, and then the brakes died on me completely

I had no real braking at speed from that point, just a really heavy vibration and terrible smell, nearly running off the track a couple of times trying to turn it in on time. The brakes were fine on the way home minus perhaps a bit of pad deposit on the discs causing some minor vibration but need to find some proper track pads for next time.

Simon was telling me to take woodcote flat and I never grew the nads for it. It was the only time I felt the rear remotely unstable (felt really light) and I really didn't want it stepping out on me at 100mph or whatever, it was also wet offline which made the track feel narrower than it is!! I reckon with a few more sessions and maybe some tweaks on the suspension/tyre pressures and I'd build up to it.

I'm not dead, so my Helmet must have worked.

Will sort pics/vids out tomorrow, knackered!

[Edited on 08-09-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

8th Sep 13 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds a good day, doing another?
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Sep 13 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look forward to the vids
Wrighty

8th Sep 13 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one you big girl
big eck

8th Sep 13 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done on your first outing buddy. Especially with the wet track. I'd love to take mine on track but I'd panick in case someone crashed into me for being to cautious lol.
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Sounds a good day, doing another?

For sure. Got a little list of jobs which need sorting first then hopefully can squeeze an open pit day in somewhere before winter sets in.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  33    34    35    36    37    38    39  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0255342 seconds