corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  34    35    36    37    38    39    40  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Sep 13 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
Well done on your first outing buddy. Especially with the wet track. I'd love to take mine on track but I'd panick in case someone crashed into me for being to cautious lol.

It was just a bit damp off line but nothing too bad. I had cars by my side a few times during corners probably due to my poor entry speed but they reduced my margin for error a shed load meaning I was over cautious for much of it. If I had a full day of sessions I reckon the difference in how I approached the laps would be night/day due to building confidence. .. on the condition my brakes survived

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hurry up and get these vids uploaded! Lol im bored at work.
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On a training course this week so will have to wait! Should be able to get it up tonight... though it's really not spectacular

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Track Video

As I said previously, camera angle is wonky as I was in such a rush to get in the car and get going.

It looks rather un-spectacular which was exactly what I was aiming for on my first time

Lap 01- 01:33
Lap 02- 01:27
Lap 03- 01:31
Lap 04- 01:25
Lap 05- 01:27
Lap 06: 01:32
Lap 07: 01:25
Lap 08: 01:24

At the beginning of Lap four I can be heard mumbling something about being able to brake harder, then at the end of lap four I complain about my brakes no longer working

Lap 6 had my biggest "moment" on it which was just going way too deep into copse and the majority of the traffic got round me at that point. I was lifting and coasting for much of it after that, but once I let all the traffic get out of my way I was given a bit of space to push on in the corners a bit which actually got me round quicker than before my brakes were cooked!

Really looking forward to sorting a proper track day now with an open pitlane so I can have a sit down and think between sessions before giving it another try.

Job list before I continue:

- Check torque settings on front drivers' Track Rod End/ARB/Droplink/Balljoint as I've got a clunk on full lock.
- Remove the uprated gear linkage bushings one by one until the whining subsides. It wasn't an issue on track but nearly killed me after four hours of motorway on sunday.
- Get some new pads and bed them in. Favourites so far are Carbone Lorraine RC5+
- Tweak with my compression/rebound settings and gauge what I can on the road with the scope to do some back to back testing/tweaking at a track day.
- Grow some baws.

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also going to keep my eye out on the second hand market for some standard STI 17s with the scope of putting some track focused tyres on. I've got a storage issue though, so need to resolve that before I can buy any.

Edit: video link doesn't seem to work on mobile devices, I think it's fine on windows though. Will reupload to YouTube tomorrow and edit the link.

[Edited on 09-09-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

YouTube link up...

Edit: Also booked Cadwell Park for 2nd October.

That means brakes need sorting before then, easy.

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bollox to cadwell, get on the donny day
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's full if it's the one I'm thinking!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted, try ring them and ask rather than the website, i know my mate who was booked in for the aft saw all day was booked, called up and they swapped it no probs.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
Gutted, try ring them and ask rather than the website, i know my mate who was booked in for the aft saw all day was booked, called up and they swapped it no probs.

I looked at that too fully booked on the reserve list though
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle, if im free would it help me coming to cadwell and sit in with you, give you some pointers etc?
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It can't hurt, though I've paid an extra £20 for 20mins of tuition so you'd be redundant for that at least

It is a Wednesday though...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wont be free lol.

You could borrow my performance box tho if you like, at least you can see your laps etc on paper to see where you can improve on track.

Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the sound of that

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It really helps me visualise mikes laps and can compare where he is faster/slower etc. Biggest thing which will help you atm is using all of the track, at silverstone you was sat pretty much in the middle of the track, its normal tbh as it feels safest place but as soon as you start using all the track you can take corners faster, your weight transfer will be more gradual and your steering inputs will be less.
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
It really helps me visualise mikes laps and can compare where he is faster/slower etc. Biggest thing which will help you atm is using all of the track, at silverstone you was sat pretty much in the middle of the track, its normal tbh as it feels safest place but as soon as you start using all the track you can take corners faster, your weight transfer will be more gradual and your steering inputs will be less.

Cheers Chris. Unfortunately at Trax I had somebody next to me (or very close behind) on pretty much every corner on either side which made me even slower - as you say I just sat my ass in the middle hoping to stay out of trouble.

I didn't have time to rig any of it up due to my rush to the brief/car but my Android app with GPS enabled and the ECU dongle connected is supposed to be able to log lap times and sector times and stuff like that to give you a "best possible lap" scenario but something I noticed from using the speed overlay in testing is that the phone GPS receiver just doesn't refresh fast enough to make it a reliable measurement. I'm sure these vbox thingies have got much more capable GPS/gyro equipment so I'd be interested to see the results.

For at least my next few track sessions though, I think my biggest gains will be made through confidence and bravery... perhaps Cadwell isn't the best track to work on those as those walls look bloody close, but providing the weather is good I'll give it a good go

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

11th Sep 13 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can this performance box be retrofitted into a Clio as well
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, just stick it to any car window.
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea just be careful at cadwell.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You using Harrys Lap Timer? If so the internal GPS sensor is pap and you'll need an external for better timing.
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that one is iPhone only, could be wrong.

I'm using TorqueII (android) with the "Track Recorder" plugin. That's what my video footage was from, but missing info overlays as I didn't set it up properly.

Either way, the internal GPS in my Galaxy S3 will indeed be poo compared to a proper one.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carbone Lorraine RC5+ ordered, with a free tube of Pagid CeraTec Paste thrown in for buying two sets of pads in three months

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I think that one is iPhone only, could be wrong.

I'm using TorqueII (android) with the "Track Recorder" plugin. That's what my video footage was from, but missing info overlays as I didn't set it up properly.

Either way, the internal GPS in my Galaxy S3 will indeed be poo compared to a proper one.

Coming to android too.
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Sep 13 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm some STI standard 17s have come up for sale with 4mm Bridgestone RE070s on for £150...

Alloys are painted bright red so need a refurb, and I've got no space at all to store them... still seriously considering them for some R888s or similar next year.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

12th Sep 13 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a goid idea to me, id prob leave them red tho if they are half decent

<<  34    35    36    37    38    39    40  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0239959 seconds