corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....

New Poll
  <<  36    37    38    39    40    41    42  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....
mwg

User status: Offline
16th Sep 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the 5. But I guess it's getting to the stage now where there's not really any massive leaps forward they can make? They've got an awesome screen already, fast processor, good camera & slick operating system. They just work. Not sure what else you can do but this is why I'm not a phone designer
Cavey

16th Sep 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Conductive charging would of been a good progression
John

16th Sep 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They can't possibly do this again next year, not even apple, should be a good one then.
Cavey

16th Sep 12 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely next year will be the 5s, so an even smaller upgrade?
Steve
Premium Member

16th Sep 12 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple havent made a really impressive phone in terms of upgrade for at least a couple of models now, whats been the highlights of the last 2, a better screen, and siri, of which noone who doesnt want to look like a penis uses anyway, every incarnation seems to have been a clutching at straws type affair

[Edited on 16-09-2012 by Steve]
AlunJ

16th Sep 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey

that is something I would have liked to have seen. Nokia can do it, why can't apple? No doubt the next one will carry it. iCharge
mwg

16th Sep 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Surely next year will be the 5s, so an even smaller upgrade?

You would think so. Or as LeeM would say, the iPhone 7
LeeM

16th Sep 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah theyve established it now, it will be the 5s. which is more annoying because it means we've now got to wait 2 years for a new phone.
Dom

16th Sep 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I'm a bit underwhelmed by the 5. But I guess it's getting to the stage now where there's not really any massive leaps forward they can make? They've got an awesome screen already, fast processor, good camera & slick operating system. They just work. Not sure what else you can do but this is why I'm not a phone designer

Hardware-wise they could have added conductive charging, NFC (i suspect Apple want a piece of the pie hence why they haven't done it as they're still sorting that side out but NFC on the iPhone would have been a huge push to 'contactless'), better screen with better touch response (ie: what they have on the Lumia 920), improved camera sensor (where's the 12MP sensor?); the list is endless.

iOS really needs a UI refresh as well. The biggest recent change has been notifications but after 5 years, the UI is starting to look dated compared to competition.

As has been said, the difference between the 4S and the 5 is pretty minimal especially when you start comparing it against other phones or even previous generations of iPhone.

One thing you can't argue about is the design, it's pretty iconic and cool
John

16th Sep 12 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Design is lovely, I especially like they've kept it like that after all the 3G people said they hated it and are now spending £530 on a 5.
A2H GO

16th Sep 12 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
quote:

that is something I would have liked to have seen. Nokia can do it, why can't apple? No doubt the next one will carry it. iCharge

Conductive charging is nowhere near the stage it needs to be for Apple to adopt it. Its ridiculously slow, the phone/pad get very hot, it doesn't work using USB(has to be plugged into mains) and you have to run a wire to the pad anyway which kind of defeats the object as you might as well just put it in the end of your phone.
John

16th Sep 12 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A normal USB port provides a maximum of 500mA. This is barely enough to charge a phone as it is without the loses involved in wireless charging, that's why it doesn't work over USB.
Mattb

16th Sep 12 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine should be here friday - upgrade was due, so its costing £110 for the handset. im happy enough, its going to be miles better than my 3gs
Cavey

16th Sep 12 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My point being, that if Apple wanted to actually innovate instead of just stealing and renaming ideas that have been around for a while I'm sure they would of been able to develop a decent method of wireless charging. Or at least something viable that would look cool
ed

16th Sep 12 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple usually buy out companies which produce tech they think is useful. I wonder how many other phones are going to feature wireless charging in the next 6 months?
A2H GO

16th Sep 12 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is creating the worlds thinnest phone whilst improving just about every hardware component not innovative enough?
John

16th Sep 12 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not the worlds thinnest phone.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

16th Sep 12 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it has the worlds best os though
ed

16th Sep 12 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*most advanced.
sc0ott

16th Sep 12 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinnest smart phone?
Dom

16th Sep 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
quote:

Conductive charging is nowhere near the stage it needs to be for Apple to adopt it. Its ridiculously slow, the phone/pad get very hot, it doesn't work using USB(has to be plugged into mains) and you have to run a wire to the pad anyway which kind of defeats the object as you might as well just put it in the end of your phone.

Sounds like you've just read the 'con' sections of the inductive charging wiki page and pasted it here

Actually the Qi systems used in the new Lumia's provides around 1A @ 5v (same as an Apple mains charger i believe), so the powers there and current reports suggest it's reasonable quick to charge the 920.

You've also missed the point of inductive/'wireless' charging a little. It isn't about a phone sitting on a pillow on your desk, rather it's about pushing the charging system to coffee shop/restaurant tables, car dashboards/centre consoles and such like and being able to dump your phone and it'll happily sit there topping up the battery.
Hence why Nokia has a deal with Coffee Bean to get the Qi system onto their tables.

I imagine if Apple stuck this into the iPhone 5 it would be a different story
Dom

16th Sep 12 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I wonder how many other phones are going to feature wireless charging in the next 6 months?

IIRC, the last time it was used in a mobile was the Palm Pre and that kind of flopped. But the system they used (their own from what i know) was suppose to be a bit cack and Palm generally didn't do too well with their phones any way.

But it looks like the technology is there with the Qi system but like any 'new' technology, NFC included, it really needs the push to get it to the masses.
And no doubt a lot of manufacturers will be looking at Nokia to see how well it does but i don't think they really have cult following, like Apple, to get the technology anywhere. If Apple stuffed inductive charging or NFC into one of the phones or tablets, everyone would tripping over themselves to get a bit of action. But we all know Apple likes to have a slice of the pie, so rather than joining up with other manufacturers and contributing to pushing a single system, they'll throw out their own.
Cavey

16th Sep 12 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slightly off topic as it's not iPhone related, but could they not use a Kinetic thing like the watches used to do, or would that obviously just not create enough electricity.

I'd imagine a watch takes the smallest amount to keep running whereas a phone needs a smidgen more?
A2H GO

16th Sep 12 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
quote:

You've also missed the point of inductive/'wireless' charging a little. It isn't about a phone sitting on a pillow on your desk, rather it's about pushing the charging system to coffee shop/restaurant tables, car dashboards/centre consoles and such like and being able to dump your phone and it'll happily sit there topping up the battery.

Looks like you missed the bit where I said its nowhere near the stage it needs to be for Apple to adopt it, as you've pointed out above.
Nath

16th Sep 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
*most advanced.

<<  36    37    38    39    40    41    42  >>

New Poll