corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driver ability / having a go / level of care

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driver ability / having a go / level of care
MR2Mike

User status: Offline
21st Jun 06 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt H
Got my Aston Martin day soon

email me the pics please good sir lol
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Corsa
ace. thanks mate.

gf may be paying for one of those "drive a ferrari" track days when im 21, should be fun. i may need a bit of tuition before then lol. before you all say "why waste £200 to drive a ferrari for a few hours"... im more into proper cars not £500 novas with £3000 of engine. each to their own

Dont bother with the Ferrari days....they are more like minutes, not hours.

As said before book yourself on a trackday and get some tuition from the resident trainer.

also generally those one's where the cars are exotics the engine's are sometimes limited, so you can't rev them all the way round - I'd want to be able to drive the car properly.

The other thing is, your probably more likely to learn to drive in something not that quick. The Ferrari you'll think your driving really quick, but at the end of the day - back to this whole point of the thread, anyone can drive a quick car fairly quickly.

Round combe I was passing so many quicker cars than mine.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its easy - drive faster, look at the road more and the pavement less.
Matt H

21st Jun 06 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Is that Westy the big gay on the back row?
MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol. thanks for info fellas... sorry to go slightly off topic (only slightly )
CorsAsh

21st Jun 06 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think an interesting analogy from Jackie Stewart applies here, if you shove someone without warning they'll stumble and/or fall.

On the other hand, if you apply gently increasing pressure to them, they'll resist it and stay standing.

It's the same with a car in essence.

I've been taught to maintain a constant throttle position whilst cornering, as accelerating or decelerating shifts the weight around, meaning the grip is compromised.

Again, courtesy of Jackie Stewart, don't increase the throttle until you KNOW you're not going to have to take it off again.

Cool thread.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the shy one who is about to have his car hooned by me. Can you see my grin
MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Think an interesting analogy from Jackie Stewart applies here, if you shove someone without warning they'll stumble and/or fall.

On the other hand, if you apply gently increasing pressure to them, they'll resist it and stay standing.

It's the same with a car in essence.

I've been taught to maintain a constant throttle position whilst cornering, as accelerating or decelerating shifts the weight around, meaning the grip is compromised.

Again, courtesy of Jackie Stewart, don't increase the throttle until you KNOW you're not going to have to take it off again.

Cool thread.

im sure i watched the video of him saying those exact words last week on google video lol
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I liked "corners are like big dogs, if you let them know you're coming they won't bite you".

MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
if you put a 300bhp LET nova/corsa and a decent ferrari infront of me i wouldnt be picking the nova/corsa mate. just my personal opinion.

lol firstly you don't really want a LET car for track car - something like 2.0 on TB's would be better.

secondly, Obviously I'd pick ferrari any day - but those days are £200 + and you don't get long on track for your money. So I have no choice other than to go around in my car.

It's not because I'd prefere driving my car to a ferrari - its simple that a session in my car is about £20 - a session (probably less time) in a ferrari is £200+

As ian has said though, your more likely learn how to go quicker in a slower car (elise for example) - where as ferrari the power will make you feel quick and big down the straights and then you'll probably be going round the bends slow.
CorsAsh

21st Jun 06 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I liked "corners are like big dogs, if you let them know you're coming they won't bite you".

Good point though yes?
MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul... sorry i think i may have mistyped my earlier comments...... i do want to learn in a more sensible car on a track..... but just wanted to mention the ferrari thing also.... and think i should have some track experience before getting behind the wheel of a ferrari. (because regardless of what they say.... if £200 is coming out my arse pocket and IM in the drivers seat of a ferrari for one day only..... its getting driven hard) lol
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
paul... sorry i think i may have mistyped my earlier comments...... i do want to learn in a more sensible car on a track..... but just wanted to mention the ferrari thing also.... and think i should have some track experience before getting behind the wheel of a ferrari. (because regardless of what they say.... if £200 is coming out my arse pocket and IM in the drivers seat of a ferrari for one day only..... its getting driven hard) lol

you will have someone sitting next to you telling you A ) what to do and B ) to not blow the thing up / crash it.

I don't put 'Track Days' and 'Driving Experience' Days in the same basket. Two completely seperate things.

I think Driving Experience days are good though and you'll totally enjoy it, but both are esentially different.

Track Day your on your own, in your own car.

Driving Experience day, your led by hand like a child, into lots of briefings, talks, then slowly from slower cars up to ferrari or whatever in v.small brief sessions.

If you don't know any better you'll enjoy it, if you do it's quite frustrating and being led by hand all the time - i.e. you'll get told (turn now) (brake now) (do this) (do that) - slow down! etc etc. I'd want to drive the car myself, not be following instructions from some chump.

Some arn't like this and there was one that brad fincham posted up the link to recently that looked awesome - gave you proper control of the cars to get thrashed. But generally the one's with 'super cars' - its more the novelty of driving that car, rather than driving anywhere near how it should be driven.

Track days it's up to you to do it - though as said you can have an instructor come out with you.
CorsAsh

21st Jun 06 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drove a Testarossa with Everyman racing, maybe because it's an older car they werent so worried, but the guy was like "you've paid for this (I hadn't btw) so make sure you get your money's worth".

Which I duly did, he went very quiet towards the end of it too lol, got a pic of him looking a tad bemused at the end Sounded sooooo good though, and the grip from those back tyres, fooking hell! Was very cool.
MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for all that paul. tbh i dont have any track experience and therefore would brake + accelerate at the wrongs times, and probably position the car wrong, so i could hardly call the instructor a "chump" personally, and woudl take any advice they gave me
MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ash ...... thats all i can say lol
CorsAsh

21st Jun 06 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the first time I'd driven on a track, done more gravel rallying, so I was turning in too early, trying to drift it through corners You do pick it up pretty quickly, where to brake, where to aim for on the apex, when to nail it again etc, not a completely pointles exercise as far as track driving is concerned IMO.
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mike.

quote:
Myself said - "If you don't know any better you'll enjoy it"
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
I drove a Testarossa with Everyman racing, maybe because it's an older car they werent so worried, but the guy was like "you've paid for this (I hadn't btw) so make sure you get your money's worth".

Which I duly did, he went very quiet towards the end of it too lol, got a pic of him looking a tad bemused at the end Sounded sooooo good though, and the grip from those back tyres, fooking hell! Was very cool.

As I say - they do differ Some are cool and let you get on with it, some limit you or the cars on what you can do. Sounds like you got a good one mate
MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool. when i get an astra i may take that round a local track just for a bit of fun.... nothing fast a i know but that doesnt stop you having a laugh
Jules S
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ, the cost of those Fezza days has come down....just did a quick google and there are some for £99

For that money its a no brainer. Just forget 99% of what you learn when you step back into your FWD mini barge
MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exact quote

Stewart - "Its like, if you walk up behind a vicious dog, if you talk to the dog on the way up, it won't be caught by surprise, and it won't do something unpredictable."

May - "Obvious really."
MR2Mike

21st Jun 06 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol.. i remember now it was top gear not a random car video from the selection i found on google. well done ian

[Edited on 21-06-2006 by Mike_Corsa]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driver ability / having a go / level of care 22 database queries in 0.0204258 seconds