corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra VXR

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra VXR
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Oct 06 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not talking about extras and fancy mp3 players etc. the vag cars have a simpler layout, they dont have pointless bits of fake chrome and silver plastic, dont try to employ fancy cutting edge angles to ther dashs, so the vauxhalls maybe more aesthetically pleasing to the eye for anyone who likes random bits here and there.

Im talking about build quality, quality of the materials used etc, and functionality
Steve
Premium Member

18th Oct 06 at 08:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another vag comparison can be made with renault.

Renault bought out the IDE lump which was petrol direct injection, a lot of these, and i mean a lot, went no more then 50k and you were lucky to find one that went more. Massive failiure could occur with the engine internals.

Now compare that the vag FSI direct injection and its one of the best engines out there on the market. With very little massive engine failiures.
StuartVRS

18th Oct 06 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ever thought about trying to get an ex demo model for a couple k off the price?

My boss did this, he just picked up a nearly new ex demo 350Z, fully kitted with toys, 3k miles and saved nearly 5k, then got discount on top and vat back. All in he got it for 21k.
Rob H

18th Oct 06 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
Comparing it against an Audi A3, build quality wise, you don't get much extra, if anything for your money!

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Im talking about build quality, quality of the materials used etc, and functionality

Didn't VW have a fair few extra years to perfect the Direct injection though? Renault just made a blunder bringing it out when the design wasn't perfected, misubishi did the same i think (renault bought the rights off mitsu to use it... gimps :lol.
Arnie

18th Oct 06 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've owned an Astra and now have a SEAT Leon and IMO the Leon feels better built than the Astra.

I'm not saying the Astra was rubbish as it wasn't but when closing the door in it for example, it didn't seem as solid as the Leon does. Its hard to explain really but the Leon just feels a lot more well put together.
lee mitchell

18th Oct 06 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Arnie
I've owned an Astra and now have a SEAT Leon and IMO the Leon feels better built than the Astra.

I'm not saying the Astra was rubbish as it wasn't but when closing the door in it for example, it didn't seem as solid as the Leon does. Its hard to explain really but the Leon just feels a lot more well put together.
would the door withstand railings
Tom

18th Oct 06 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i think the astra vxr is yet another car for people in suits to think they own the road in a race car. I would almost class it with the CTR TBH

And leon cupra?

Every car you own you say is the db's until you sell it

jr

18th Oct 06 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee mitchell
quote:

harsh
lee mitchell

18th Oct 06 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he knows im joking
Arnie

18th Oct 06 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
quote:

harsh

It wasn't my fault, honest
Ojc

18th Oct 06 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The Mk5 Astra is far far far better than the Mk4.
jr

18th Oct 06 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
he knows im joking

i know your joking too
Arnie

18th Oct 06 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I realised after I posted they were talking about the Mk5, I've never been in one so can't comment.
Daimo B

18th Oct 06 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not going to get into your penis waving competetions... But..

The interior on the astra is ok, not brilliant, but its a damn site better than its ever been. Its very solid though, no creaks or rattles or anything.

Gearbox is really nice i think, slots in nice and has a nice "feel" to it.

Brakes, well, i was dissapointed at first as its a bit like my corsa, theres a lot of pedal travel. Get over this though, and the 300+mm brakes work really well. Good enough to take a hard track days session (yup, std VX brakes!!!) and was good enoguh to slow the car from 125 odd to about 30-40 odd in under 100 meters (while cornering!!).

Engine, suffers with a little lag, but then what turbo petrol doesn't. As for being slow, yeah the 0-60 time isn't great, but its a 1400kg plus car... And tbh, for me, bottom end its not all that great. In gear though, esp from 70-80+, it pulls like a train. The VXR Sprint (Stage 2, 270bhp odd, no rear seats etc, 0-60 of 5.2 or something). Aye, terrible for a FWD car...

And yes, it does handle, its the first VX out the box i've driven that actually DOES handle well. TC does kick in if your too hard on the throttle while cornering, but then it is FWD, not RWD remember!!!!!

Agreed about the whole suits own the road thing. 90% of them simply don't have a clue. I see this just by watching quite a few VXR's sitting in london traffic. Boys, you've SO bought the wrong car. 0.2mpg in traffic.. VXR's hate standing still.

Ours uses about £45 of unleaded in about 260-290 miles. Although its massivly underpowered with unleaded in it, which again is what 90% of owners will be using daily. Its been tested at about 215-220bhp with unleaded, but on the road it seems a DAMN site more. ON Revitt Straight at Snetterton, i was hitting 125 with Optimax and braking at the 300 meter board. LAter in the day i was hitting 120, getting out the corner before quicker, and braking at the 100m marker... Thats a massive about of pace lost in 1km!!!

PS, 17k, Arden blue (extra), 19"s, and £1000+ of sat nav... Where the hell is £22k coming from??

IMO, the VXR is a brilliant car, but needs and want's to be driven hard to fully appreciate it. Not something you can do with your dealer demo car... IMO it could do with a few more option upgrades (Leccy folding mirrors etc), but its a good car.

And the seats are SOOOOOOOOOOOO comfy its untrue. It sit you in the car with the frame to have 2 hands on the stearing wheeel, then say to you quietly, "go on, foot down, a little more, a littttttle more, jsut a bit more, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

After driving various modern FWD hot hatchs, call me VX bias, but nothing touches it.. Not even that ST thingy, and a Scooby is a 4X4, different class, but i'd still opt for the VXR. I like FWD.

From someone who gets to drive a VXR practically every day.

[Edited on 18-10-2006 by VXR]
mwg

18th Oct 06 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
PS, 17k, Arden blue (extra), 19"s, and £1000+ of sat nav... Where the hell is £22k coming from??

17k for that sounds alot better than 22k. Where did you buy it from?
Steve
Premium Member

18th Oct 06 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
i think the astra vxr is yet another car for people in suits to think they own the road in a race car. I would almost class it with the CTR TBH

And leon cupra?

Every car you own you say is the db's until you sell it

nope the corsa 1.2 was crap, the 106gti was good, the corsa gsi was crap, the megane coupe was better than i expected but not amazing, the leon i like
Jambo

18th Oct 06 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awaiting u2u steve
Daimo B

18th Oct 06 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've re-read this, since when does a Subraru only have 20,000 miles service intervals?

Comparing the quality of a Cheap Corsa to a Leon...

Sayign the Astras not quick for the weight/size.... 14.6 1/4 mile is Stripped XE corsa territory, and i can assure you, at 80+, the corsa simply doesn't stand a chance.

Im looking forward to getting D5NNA back out so we can compare the two to see how quick they really are...

Matty - From Vauxhall, but discounted. But i defintaly wouldn't pay over £20k for it, even with the Sat nav, 19"s etc.

Wonder how many of these people slating the cars have actually driven ANY of the current FWD hot hatches to actually have a realistic view and not a keyboard view

[Edited on 18-10-2006 by VXR]
Ojc

18th Oct 06 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Matty - From Vauxhall, but discounted. But i defintaly wouldn't pay over £20k for it, even with the Sat nav, 19"s etc.

To the man on the street with no Vauxhall connections a Arden Blue VXR with the 19's and nothing else is 21k Daimen.

With VXSCC discount and the fact we will have a decent deposit puts us in a very good situation with regards to negotiating the price back down to book price of £18-19k
jr

18th Oct 06 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

regardless of what every argument is going on, the only one i payed attention to is the build quality of the seat vs vaux, which is where the seat win
Steve
Premium Member

18th Oct 06 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
awaiting u2u steve

later
Ojc

18th Oct 06 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think VAG cars are badly painted IMO. Can, worms, opened.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Oct 06 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jr

18th Oct 06 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm i havent actully seen many issues of this myself oliver ? but well done on opening said can

[Edited on 18-10-2006 by jr]
Ojc

18th Oct 06 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here is the prices for the VXR, the standard one with 18's is £19,120

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/vxfilter/vxfilter.do?method=getBodyStylesList&brandName=Astra&brandId=764&trimName=VXR&trimLevelId=1159&source=S&scope=S&dualFuelIndicator=N&carVanIndicator=C&vehicleType=C

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra VXR 22 database queries in 0.0173309 seconds