corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Talk me out of buying a CTR

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Talk me out of buying a CTR
Gareth

User status: Offline
1st Nov 06 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth John
No but it shows how hard they can be pushed without ending up rolling into a gravel trap.

but a Corsa can lift a rear wheel, the same as any FWD with stiff suspension

But i wasnt following a corsa on 3 wheels though so i carnt comment.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
jammo20

1st Nov 06 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
FWD van or a 4WD turbo rally car? Difficult descision to make there

Gareth

1st Nov 06 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
no doubt the offset was incorrect then.

you can't judge a car by the fact it can lift a wheel. that's like comparing suspension kits by looking at different pictures of cars cornering.

I wasnt i was just stating that i was impressed following the CTR on the track and the fact he was on 3 wheels at one shows he was pushing it to the limit
Gareth

1st Nov 06 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wish i never got involved in this thread its making me look like ive got 1!
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 06 at 22:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
but a Corsa can lift a rear wheel
...while flashing a Cossie out of the way.

http://www.batmotorsport.co.uk/pics/8.jpg
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 06 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back on topic.

You need to drive the cars that are in the price bracket and make a decision based on your own experience. There is a lot of crap posted in both directions about CTR. Personally I would like to have one for the afternoon to form a proper opinion on proper roads.

In lieu of any real evidence I'll sit on the fence.
jr

1st Nov 06 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
but a Corsa can lift a rear wheel
...while flashing a Cossie out of the way.

http://www.batmotorsport.co.uk/pics/8.jpg

the cossie had just blizted past it in a trail of rubber and boost
Jules S
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I went onboard with my m8 in his dads radical s3 (£55k) on a track day round donnington. Followed a guy in a type r for a few corners and it was awsome round bends for FWD at one point he had a wheel of the floor! After seeing that i have alot of respect for them. Personally i wouldnt spend my cash on a car unless it was 4x4 or rwd.

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by Gareth John]

All I can say is your mate must be utterly woeful in the driving stakes if you could pass judgement on a CTR from a radical...you should have passed it before the first corner or shortly after the first corner.

Totally and utterly a different class of car...not even worthy of comparison in the same sentence.

Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 06 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Puts you in a good vantage point to watch the CTR on tilt though Jules?
jr

1st Nov 06 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can lift i a wheel in the corsa
Jules S
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Back on topic.

You need to drive the cars that are in the price bracket and make a decision based on your own experience. There is a lot of crap posted in both directions about CTR. Personally I would like to have one for the afternoon to form a proper opinion on proper roads.

In lieu of any real evidence I'll sit on the fence.

I would limit that comment to FWD cars tbh

On the 'road' in a 'single' track environment FWD cars will always be understeer city
Robin
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 22:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not getting into another argument about handling, but not all FWD cars understeer all over the place.

some RWD cars understeer like buggery too.
Jules S
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 22:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Puts you in a good vantage point to watch the CTR on tilt though Jules?

Not really...I think i would be steering well clear given the lines I could take
jr

1st Nov 06 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not getting into another argument about handling, but not all FWD cars understeer all over the place.

some RWD cars understeer like buggery too.

very true
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 06 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a road car - but so is my mums Astra GSi.

I would like to drive the CTR to compare the two.
Robbo

1st Nov 06 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
I think i really want one

I mean really
Do it
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 06 at 23:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
Not really...I think i would be steering well clear given the lines I could take
This isn't about driving the Radical fast - he clearly wasn't - this is about watching a CTR being driven in anger and it looking impressive as an observer.

That for me does hold some weight.
Steve
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 23:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport
ive had all 4 off the ground when the scrap truck picked it up with chains through each front window

what prize do i win?

a ctr
Gareth

1st Nov 06 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i can assure you my mate has been racing for years and he has top quality driving skills. This was a track day so there were all sorts of cars and its waiting for them to keep right because only overtaking on the left is allowed and we lapped the CTR and everything else so many times i lost count.
Adam_B

1st Nov 06 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt H
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i dont think ctr's do too badly on a track

Didn't Adam B have a video of him beating one in his 2.0 Corsa?

That was on a track

You'd be forever changing down a gear trying to keep the revs high so you have some power to accelerate with

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport
quote:
must have been a poor driver in the CTR.

or possibly a really good driver in the corsa?????????? dont forget that it is also possible to make a corsa handle

bit of both tbh, im not ayrton senna, hes probably never been on track before.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1858276319151553366&q=corsa+ctr
Jules S
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
This isn't about driving the Radical fast - he clearly wasn't - this is about watching a CTR being driven in anger and it looking impressive as an observer.

That for me does hold some weight.

Why's that then Ian?

To me driving a radical at the same sort of speeds on track as a CTR is driving like a poof.

Radicals are around 15 secs quicker at least around castle combe (which is a good comparable track)

To me you would need to drive a similar, but different car to make a comparison.
Gareth

1st Nov 06 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we were lapping so fast in the radical we kept getting stuck behind the others cars
mk4_astra

1st Nov 06 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by joe6886
I do like the ITR's, don't like the S2000's and i'm not sure on the CTR. But look back 2 people have posted pics of ITR's recently and eveyrone got the horn, if it was a CTR everyone would have been out with the 'have fun getting up hills' etc etc.....

Just don't see how they can all be so different, probably just the bandwagon effect.

yup most people who have just slated them have probably never even sat in one, let alone driven one.
ive been a passenger in one and was impressed. quicker than my mates mk4 golf v6 motion and much better handling, was better on the fuel aswell. i will also put money on it being the most reliable modern hot hatch out there aswell.

having said that it wouldnt be my first choice from the hot hatch market, i would rather have something with a nicer interior(leather seats, decent sound system etc) and i would be nice to have the power on tap a few k lower down the rev range aswell
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 06 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
To me driving a radical at the same sort of speeds on track as a CTR is driving like a poof.
I'm actually ignoring the fact that the other car is a Radical as it has no bearing whatsoever on what Gareth is saying.

He could have been in a stunt plane, makes no odds. The post was about watching how fast the CTR was round the bends and being impressed that it did well from that vantage point.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Talk me out of buying a CTR 23 database queries in 0.0147130 seconds