corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » RAW Egg (16v T) HARDBOILED Egg (8v T) Update :8th April (pg46)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RAW Egg (16v T) HARDBOILED Egg (8v T) Update :8th April (pg46)
Novaneil

User status: Offline
27th Dec 06 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

27th December

Started the day by quickly painting the underside of the chassis strengthening kits

Ben brought his Welder and Gas over

And set about Tacking on the kit

This is the stage we are at

We have Ben's Father in Law (Welder by trade) coming over tomorrow morning to do a proper job and seam weld them in nicely.

We also quickly threw a board on the wall and started putting various tools on it to help us out as my tool chest is getting a little crowded...

Was getting bored so took a quick pic of my car out of the window this afternoon... its very dirty I know but thought it looked quite good

And finally we took a quick trip over to Ben's garage to get some bits and bobs, and whilst there I took a few pics of his other project (on hold at the moment due to Corsa )

As you can see its in the process of being space framed with independant Coilover suspension.

It used to have a 1293cc motor in it pushing out 120bhp @ the wheels!!! But this has since been donated to his brothers Mini and a race spec 1380cc engine has just been built for this one

Anyway, look out for another update tomorrow.

Neil

[Edited on 28-12-2006 by Novaneil]
Whittie

27th Dec 06 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Novaneil

28th Dec 06 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

28th December

Dan has been messing about today fitting his Bonnet Pins/Latches into his Carbon Bonnet. Naturally he has been very careful as there not cheap to replace, should he mess it up.

He's still outside working on them now! lol

Our Welder turned up this morning and immediately started seam welding the chassis kits into place . Cheers Ade

The Van's offside engine mount had to be welded into place as there are no bolt holes for it... This was a bit tricky without the engine in place to test it but Ade and Ben did a number of measurements based on my mount as a reference so hopefully its not too far off... lol

And here's the results...

Whilst the welding was taking place, I finally collected my engine from another garage. This hasn't seen daylight for 2 years and has collected a little bit of dust

Yummy T34

Once in the barn we whipped the Clutch off and fitted my new Helix jobbie

For those of you who haven't seen the engine before.... here it is in its previous home (Nova)

And the day we collected it in the back of my Calibra

More updates soon...

Neil

[Edited on 28-12-2006 by Novaneil]
steve_b

28th Dec 06 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its more than likly gravity fed, im doing this epas conversion on mine and i would imagine the pump needs to be the other way up, alrthough i would prefer to mount mine the other way like you have im not sure its going to get the correct supply of oil,

ledgendary 8v surly that holds the current fastset 1/4 mile record for a nova, 11.3 was it, has he pu his let in that yet not heard anything about it for a while
j10E W

28th Dec 06 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want your calibra
Novaneil

28th Dec 06 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steve_b
its more than likely gravity fed, im doing this epas conversion on mine and i would imagine the pump needs to be the other way up, alrthough i would prefer to mount mine the other way like you have im not sure its going to get the correct supply of oil,

ledgendary 8v surly that holds the current fastset 1/4 mile record for a nova, 11.3 was it, has he pu his let in that yet not heard anything about it for a while

If you find out for sure could you let me know please, and i'll do the same if I find out first. As you said it would be a lot simplier with regards to installation if can be mounted as I intended.

8v Indeed, amazingly i've never owned a 16v car lol... owned a few engines just never fitted them to anything and sold them on. Hopefully it will live up to its reputation even though its in a heavyweight Corsa

Yes 11.3 was its time, which was the quickest FWD in the country, but I believe it has now been beaten by Andy Nicholls Rover which is in the 10's.

Rumour has it the LET is in ATC Nova... but this has not been confirmed as yet. Can't wait to see it in action if it is!

Neil
Novaneil

28th Dec 06 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been outside and did another 1/2 hour whilst Dan was finishing off his bonnet pins/latches...

Removed the Turbo and Manifold for 2 reasons...

1) So and I can paint the block up nice

2) The Turbo has a broken stud in the exhaust flange side of the Turbo housing which needs some heat on it to be removed.

Whilst its in the this state i'll also take the opportunity to get a few more bits powder coated.

I've also got 2 more products to show you...

some nice 440cc Injectors

The yellow (LET) Injectors in it already are adequate... But the 440's are safer (you can run a lower fuel pressure) and have more potential for further power upgrades if the need arises.

And speaking of Fuel Pressure...

Just need a fuel pump now and the fuelling side of things is sorted

Neil
steve_b

28th Dec 06 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ur a twat, you getting all the parts i want, have a sard on my list of things to get,!ha

as for the 8v what management are you going for,
wasnt the engine highly nitrous powered?what was it off gas in atc nova?
what is the spec and plans you have for it?
sorry for all the questions very interested in the conversion as its very different from the norm

great work and some great parts there mate keep it up
Novaneil

28th Dec 06 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steve_b
ur a twat, you getting all the parts i want, have a sard on my list of things to get,!ha

as for the 8v what management are you going for,
wasnt the engine highly nitrous powered?what was it off gas in atc nova?
what is the spec and plans you have for it?
sorry for all the questions very interested in the conversion as its very different from the norm

great work and some great parts there mate keep it up

Cheers mate....I think

I've been collecting parts for a while now, but your still one step ahead of me as your engine is in the car! and your engine bay looks a lot smarter than mine!!!

This is the engine spec when it was in the Nova

2.0 8v Cavalier SRI engine
Standard Calibra Turbo rods
Standard Calibra Turbo pistons
Standard Calibra Turbo injectors
ARP bottom end bolts
6 Speed F28 gearbox converted to FWD
Standard head
Custom cam grind
Hybrid Garret T34 turbo
Quaife ATB LSD
Wizards of NOS 75bhp progressive nitrous system
Autronic engine management

It ran 270bhp & 320lb's ft torque off G@S at 20PSi Boost... so on G@S nearly 400lb's ft torque

Im down tuning it slighty for reliability in the Corsa and will be running DTA Engine Management instead of Autronic. And less G@S.

Im glad your interested in it as that was my aim... To build something a little bit different than the XE/LET route that hopefully should turn a few heads at shows, 1/4 mile and on various tracks.

Neil

STEvieXE

28th Dec 06 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also agree, i am very interested in anything 8valve to be honest. mate builds 2.0 8v (115bhp) and turbos them to make 200BHP. class and different, i am hoping to build a 2.0 8v next year...
STEvieXE

28th Dec 06 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which is a point i asked him why he didnt turbo the 130bhp engines and he said them had way to high a compression to be turbod and thats wht he does the 115 ones cause they have a lower compression ratio...
jr

28th Dec 06 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

amazing amount of work neil with regards to doing things properly, very impressed

and how did you get that barn/workshop, looks ideal place for what your all doing

carrington civic is also very and impressive

and the mini
Novaneil

28th Dec 06 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine basically runs an LET bottom end, so I haven't got a clue what the compression ratio of it is im afraid. Beings as the head is 8v.

Neil
STEvieXE

28th Dec 06 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u see my mates astra runs a 8v bottom end/ xe head and a home made turbo conversion.. wierd

steve_b

28th Dec 06 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only the a few people will be interested but these people will be the ones who know a little,

is a great build mate il be looking out for what sort of figures you get as i know it was very impressie beforehand

id imagine atc will be mental with a let in far more scope for silly bhp there

loved the nova with 8v in was great car, now u have a bit more weight will be interesting,

keep the posts coming mate i enjoy reading about it great thread
oh and sell me the sard
Cole

28th Dec 06 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking very good neil remember this old thing

well its now in this

ya never did get that race in your old nova
Novaneil

28th Dec 06 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
looking very good neil remember this old thing

well its now in this

ya never did get that race in your old nova

No way!!! Isn't it weird how the old Novaload peeps go and get Corsa's and start stealing bits from their old Nova's Shocking I know but theres been so many that have done it.

Loved that Nova!!! Never did get to race it... shame. I see the engine has been re-homed, How does it go in the Corsa???

How about we race the Corsa's at the Pod next year Although I may have an unfair disadvantage this time ... 400cc more

Neil
Novaneil

28th Dec 06 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
amazing amount of work neil with regards to doing things properly, very impressed

and how did you get that barn/workshop, looks ideal place for what your all doing

carrington civic is also very and impressive

and the mini

Cheers mate

Im lucky.... My Dads a Farmer. So after 7 years of messing about with cars he's finally given me a dedicated area to work in.

Neil
Novaneil

28th Dec 06 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieXE
u see my mates astra runs a 8v bottom end/ xe head and a home made turbo conversion.. wierd

Now that is dodgey because the 8v Bottom end obviously doesn't have the same pocketed pistons as the 16v..... Hmmm... So if it works it must be very low compression....

Which isn't a bad thing..... More Boooooost haha

Neil
Cole

28th Dec 06 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

neil i will speak to dave tomorrow it will be running then so will find out how it goes ya can race his turbo astra saloon though if ya like at pvs next year

steveie ya seen james rwd nova lately its 3.0v6 turbo now i hear
Cole

28th Dec 06 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Novaneil
quote:
Originally posted by STEvieXE

Now that is dodgey because the 8v Bottom end obviously doesn't have the same pocketed pistons as the 16v..... Hmmm... So if it works it must be very low compression....

Which isn't a bad thing..... More Boooooost haha

Neil

it works neil believe me it does the bloke who done stevies xe conversion has a 16v turbo using an sri 130 bottom end and that was on course for a high 12 at pvs last year till the clutch destroyed the gear box and that was with 100 shot of n2o and the block takes it all day long it goes like fuck
Nic Barnes

29th Dec 06 at 01:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

neil that engine is just so ace. i think most the real vauxhall fans will have missed it greatly
Siberia

29th Dec 06 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are they c20let pistons? in the 8v? do they just fit?

cool thread!... i'd be dangerous with that barn/shed thing you have there... your a liucky boy keeps the updates coming!

[Edited on 29-12-2006 by Siberia]
Novaneil

29th Dec 06 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
are they c20let pistons? in the 8v? do they just fit?

cool thread!... i'd be dangerous with that barn/shed thing you have there... your a liucky boy keeps the updates coming!

[Edited on 29-12-2006 by Siberia]

Apparently so... As far as im aware the 8v Bottom end (block) is vitually the same as the 16v's so the crank, rods & pistons etc bolt straight in.

Also I don't know if anyone noticed but its also running a 2.0 Ecotec flywheel. Don't ask me why though.... maybe the extra weight helped with the launches???

Neil
Rick Draper

29th Dec 06 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ecotec flywheel is a 6 bolt one. I would say that has got eight a 8 valve or a ecotec crank in it. LET and XE cranks are all use 8 bolt flywheels.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » RAW Egg (16v T) HARDBOILED Egg (8v T) Update :8th April (pg46) 23 database queries in 0.0174668 seconds