corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » premiership split

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author premiership split
Hammer

User status: Offline
12th Nov 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I doubt anyone really thought this would ever happen anyway.

Alex McLeish, Harry Redknapp, Martin O'Neill, Davie Moyes, Dave Whelan and Phil Gartside voicing their approval within the space of a fortnight is quite a big jump for something that is supposedly pie in the sky. That's 6 clubs in 2 weeks.
strick206

12th Nov 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Do you honestly believe that is a logistical possibility? The suggestion we should go lower than the football league won't even be thought of.

No, i know it won't happen because the FA are fucking useless, but if you are to join, and want to join, you should join like any other club did, swansea, cardiff etc, and join at the bottom, just because they did it nearly 100 years ago means nothing, the principle should be the same

Imo they shouldn't be allowed to join even as high up as the conference, because it's unfair on teams fighting to get into the league, should join like any other new club

Lets face it, they'd have no problem in 4 years to get to league two with the sizes of the clubs so why make it easy for them
strick206

12th Nov 09 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I doubt anyone really thought this would ever happen anyway.

Alex McLeish, Harry Redknapp, Martin O'Neill, Davie Moyes, Dave Whelan and Phil Gartside voicing their approval within the space of a fortnight is quite a big jump for something that is supposedly pie in the sky. That's 6 clubs in 2 weeks.

3 scots, 2 small club chairmen, and a spurs manager to be exact
Hammer

12th Nov 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could go through the entire league with a silly comment like that for every manager and chairman though

Why hasn't the best Scottish manager of them all not said anything? Especially considering he played for Rangers.
strick206

12th Nov 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fergie is too busy shouting about referee's fitness and getting dragged to london for a meeting with the FA

Possibly could, but i believe you should come in below the conference, and i think, if that was the only option, rangers and celtic would both take it
Hammer

12th Nov 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Celtic board would crawl down the motorway for any opportunity to gain bigger multimedia revenue. I don't think some people realise the state of the SPL, it is literally on its knees
Cosmo

12th Nov 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH in 5yrs time if Spainish teams keep spending as they are, then PL clubs will be asking Rangers and Celtic to join in desperation to try to claw back the number 1 spot for most popular league in the world.
Nath

12th Nov 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whys that then Cosmo?
Cosmo

12th Nov 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only reason the PL has become so popular over the last 5yrs is we have the best players over here, a lot foreign fans are fickle and tend to follow players as much as they do team. If Spanish clubs keep spending as they have, and tbh they probably will, then they are going to end up with the majority share of the best players.

They will therefore get a larger propertion fo the fans, TV companies will spend more to get their games than PL games, sponsors will follow the fans and the TV, etc.

At least with Celtic and Rangers in the PL it'll increase the market size, will add two more bigger teams to the league (as opposed to the likes of Hull, Wigan, Blackburn, etc. who have little following in the world), it'll add a few more attractive games to the fixture list, etc.
Danny P

12th Nov 09 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
They will therefore get a larger propertion fo the fans, TV companies will spend more to get their games than PL games, sponsors will follow the fans and the TV, etc.

Good.

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by Danny P]
strick206

12th Nov 09 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
At least with Celtic and Rangers in the PL it'll increase the market size, will add two more bigger teams to the league (as opposed to the likes of Hull, Wigan, Blackburn, etc. who have little following in the world), it'll add a few more attractive games to the fixture list, etc.

Yes but although these small teams don't have a big world following, they DESERVE to be in the PL, because they've progressed

I also don't believe a united vs celtic, or united vs rangers match would be as big world wide as you're making out

JonnyJ

12th Nov 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neither do i Strick. The novelty would soon wear off.
Cosmo

12th Nov 09 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
quote:

Good.

When the amount the PL gets goes down, so will the amount we pass on to the lower leagues.
Cosmo

12th Nov 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
quote:

Yes but although these small teams don't have a big world following, they DESERVE to be in the PL, because they've progressed

I also don't believe a united vs celtic, or united vs rangers match would be as big world wide as you're making out

As Ive said earlier in this thread, I dont think they should be plonked in the PL, may be not even the Championship for that matter...but if they do end up getting to the PL I think they would add more to it than a Hull for example.

And they would be a bigger draw than a United vs Burnley. And given a few years with PL money, a Celtic or a Rangers could be a massive worldwide force (may be not in winning CL, etc. but in terms of fan numbers).
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Nov 09 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thank you cosmo you seem to be the only one who understands how big of club we are. we can attract some great players as it is with no money so what are we going to do with money
celtic are the same only they have more money than us
Hammer

12th Nov 09 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

It's bigger than 90% of Premiership ties already when one club has over 100 times the spending power, what makes you think when that gap closes it will lose appeal?
strick206

12th Nov 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

It's bigger than 90% of Premiership ties already when one club has over 100 times the spending power, what makes you think when that gap closes it will lose appeal?

No they will be big games in the UK, but my comment was based on just how big are rangers and celtic in the world?

World viewing wouldn't be that affected, imo

Anyway, below conference or nothing imo, in fact, i'm more favoured to them sticking in there own country as you can't just bring one club into the league and bringing both brings the fucking idiot supporters in blue
Cosmo

12th Nov 09 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive tried to find a reliable website that gives info on how many fans they have world wide, not easy though to find for any club. Have seen figures around the 7-9m mark though.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Nov 09 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have supporters clubs all over the world!

how many times have you gone abroad and seen a united or liverpool bar?

our following is huge! and the old firm games are one of the biggest derby's in the world
Cosmo

12th Nov 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
we have supporters clubs all over the world!

our following is huge! and the old firm games are one of the biggest derby's in the world

You mention United and Liverpool, but dont kid yourself that your support is even half of what either of ours is world wide.
Hammer

12th Nov 09 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The unique thing about Celtic and Rangers is neither was born out of a town or city. The potential based on that is limitless.
strick206

12th Nov 09 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Dream on comparing yourself to the size of those clubs
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Nov 09 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wasnt comparing us to them! we all know how big united are abroad! but id definatly say we have a bigger and better support than liverpool
Cosmo

13th Nov 09 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i wasnt comparing us to them! we all know how big united are abroad! but id definatly say we have a bigger and better support than liverpool

Cosmo

13th Nov 09 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive still not stopped laughing at that comment

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » premiership split 23 database queries in 0.0228579 seconds