corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » F1 2010 Teams and Cars (& Launches)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author F1 2010 Teams and Cars (& Launches)
Dom

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 10 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
Newcomers Campos rebranded as Hispania Racing F1 Team

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8547064.stm

Only 8 days to go now until Friday practice

i know they've requested a name change, which needs all of the teams to agree on, but i didn't think it happen?

Eitherway, they will be way off the pace. It's all rumoured that Lotus and Virgin are 3/4secs down on the rest of the pack, Campos will be way behind them. Mobile chicanes anyone?

Cosmo - Yup, USF1 have asked to be deferred a year. Now Stefan GP want the place but it even that's all up in the air. As usual Webber has had a moan about it http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=40045
tbh, i doubt we'll see USF1 at all and i really can't see the FIA allowing Stefan GP, next season yes but not this one.
Cosmo

3rd Mar 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Webber is right though, the new teams are taking the piss and they should of proven they had all the funds fully secured to get them to the first race fully prepared.
Dom

3rd Mar 10 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Webber is right though, the new teams are taking the piss and they should of proven they had all the funds fully secured to get them to the first race fully prepared.

Yeah, there's no doubt that this whole ordeal has been one mother of all fuck-ups, probably why the FIA will change the rules for 2011 (onwards) on how teams will be selected.

Also the FIA have just now confirmed the lineup - http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2010/Pages/f1_2010_entry.aspx

Looks like Stefan GP didn't make the cut. Shame really, considering they had a car ready (albeit it limited testing) to go. Hopefully this will be the last of USF1.
Rob E

3rd Mar 10 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel quite saddened for Stefan GP, they have been pushing for entry for months saying they are ready to test/race but it seems like the FIA have been far too slow sorting out the situation with USF1. Ah well, either way its shaping up to be a competitive season. I think McLaren, Ferrari, Merc and Red Bull are going to be the top teams off the mark. Sauber could also be one to watch as they have shown some impressive reliability and some decent times throughout testing. Views on the new teams? Who do you think will come out top of the new lot? My money is on Lotus
Dom

3rd Mar 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although it probably doesn't help having Mike Coughlan on the team though, no doubt Ferrari kicked up about that.

I'm really hoping for JB, have backed him since the BAR days but i just don't think he will be strong enough in the McLaren (no doubt McLaren will swing for Lewis anyways). Will be interesting to see what Lotus and Virgin do though. But i've metioned before that they seem to be way off the pace and obviously Virgin have issues with reliability. Although saying that Lotus did have a fire

Anyone here signed up to an F1 Fantasy game? Just signed up to fantasyracers.com with a load of folk from the OcUK motorsports forums. Currently got Heikki Kovalainen, Jenson Button, Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello - i think i'm playing it a bit safe

Edit - Just read a few rumours about engine changes for 2013

quote:

1.5 litre four cylinder turbo or something of that kind with a big 120 KW electric hybrid motor, harvesting energy under braking

>HERE<
What a load of crap that will be 1970's here we come....

[Edited on 03-03-2010 by Dom]
Budgie

3rd Mar 10 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

red bulls motor hasnt changed much.
expecting to see some good stuff out of kobyashi.
thought what he did at the end of last season looked quite promising.
Robin
Premium Member

7th Mar 10 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would 1.5 4 cylinder turbos with massive electric motors be crap? The 80s 1.5 turbos were the most powerful F1 cars ever, with modern technology, they'll be mo much faster than todays cars with the amount of torque they'll have.

I think it'll be awwsome.
Dom

7th Mar 10 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Why would 1.5 4 cylinder turbos with massive electric motors be crap? The 80s 1.5 turbos were the most powerful F1 cars ever, with modern technology, they'll be mo much faster than todays cars with the amount of torque they'll have.

I think it'll be awwsome.

Think you're forgetting that the late 60s/mid 80s 1.5l engines were mostly V8 and V6s. Think it was only Porsche and Hart who had straight 4 1.5l engines and they weren't that great from what i remember. Infact i think the 1.5l on a whole weren't that reliable.

I think a better solution would be to limit the amount of energy, xMJ, (and weight) a car has to complete a race. That way a team can use what ever they want to power the car, beit hybrid, electric, huge V12s, but you can't use more than, say 30,000 MJ of energy.

Also, apparently Jean Todt wants to push for road relevant engines in F1 which would probably mean more manufactures back in F1.
Robin
Premium Member

8th Mar 10 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BMW, Hart, Zakspeed... used in at least 5 different manufaturer's cars.

The point is, with modern technology, reliability wouldn't be such an issue, they'd also need to rev less for the same power, so the engines are less stressed, meaning the engines last longer and therefore cost less, both in financial and environmental terms.

FruitBooTeR

10th Mar 10 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do people think to putting a bet on

£100.00 on each so £400.00 in total

Fernando Alonso 11/4 Return - 375

Lewis Hamilton 7/2 Return - 450

Michael Schumacher 9/2 Return 550

Jenson Button 10/1 Return 1100
Dom

10th Mar 10 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR

for winning Bahrain or the season?
Looks good, personally i think it'll be a toss up between Hamilton or Alonso for the title, although don't forget Massa. Button hasn't got a hells in chance and i can't see Schumacher doing it either.
mwg

10th Mar 10 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£200 each on Alonso & Hamilton to win the title if I was doing it.
Dom

10th Mar 10 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
£200 each on Alonso & Hamilton to win the title if I was doing it.

Probably the most sensible way of doing it.
Although like i say, i think Massa might have a change. Problem is, a lot of the teams have been sandbagging during the tests so it difficult to say who has a decent car (apart from reliability, Virgin/Lotus/co have had issues already) and on that basis i would wait til the Fri practices in Bahrain. But obviously the odds will change.....

edit - saying that though, if Schumacher is going to go back to his old tricks, like parking it on corners and running people off the track, then i expect him to get the title

[Edited on 10-03-2010 by Dom]
FruitBooTeR

10th Mar 10 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Looks good, personally i think it'll be a toss up between Hamilton or Alonso for the title, although don't forget Massa. Button hasn't got a hells in chance and i can't see Schumacher doing it either.

Season..I agree with Alonso and Hamilton being the top favourites, how come you think Button wont make it, hes last years champion...hes a good driver so how come you think that, dont you think he will be able to use the car to its full potential?
Dom

10th Mar 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Season..I agree with Alonso and Hamilton being the top favourites, how come you think Button wont make it, hes last years champion...hes a good driver so how come you think that, dont you think he will be able to use the car to its full potential?

Don't get me wrong, i think Button is a great driver and he demonstrated that last year when he got a decent car (his shoddy performance in the past years was mainly down to having a crap car). But as you said, i don't think he'll get the full potential out of the McLaren. And even if he was tied with Hamilton, McLaren will always favour Lewis and he'll have to take the No. 2 spot. I could be wrong and he could play a blinder all season, and i really hope that happens as i've backed him since BAR days, but i really can't see it happening.

Likewise with Massa, he certainly has a chance at the title, but i have a feeling he'll be playing No. 2 as usual.

In terms of cars, i'm backing McLaren mainly due to this 'anti-stall' (great thread over on F1technical.net forums>HERE<) rear wing they have going (that's if Horner's shit stiring doesn't get it banned) which could give them the edge over the rest of the pack (like Brawn had last year with their double diffuser).
AndyKent

10th Mar 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think Button will come near the top either. He's a good driver, but not a great one tbh. Lewis will pretty much always beat him in a like for like car I'm convinced of it.

I think last year was a one off - he had a great car and drove very well at the start of the season and pretty much had the title in the bag before everyone else caught up with him. I don't think he'll be able to compete half as well this year.
Nath

10th Mar 10 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Button got a jump on the other teams last year, thats where his advantage came from. This year wont be anything like that.
Dom

10th Mar 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sauber Good On Tyres
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81937

Apparently Sauber are the best when it comes to tyre wear, which could make things interesting. I know a lot of people believe Sauber can pull it out of the bag this year and this certainly adds to it. But i'm not sure about Rosa and Kobayashi being able to push the car. Then again, Kobayashi is a bit of a nutcase
Only downside to this is Sauber having issues with getting heat into the tyres, like Brawn had last year.
Dom

12th Mar 10 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if anyone caught the practice this morning, only saw the 2nd practice, but it certainly looks interesting. All McLaren and Mercedes drivers ended the 2nd practice at the top, although i suspect that unlike Mercedes who looked like they were pushing hard, McLaren was taking it easy. Ferrari on the other hand were up there on the 1st practice (Alonso with a 1:59) but ended up in the middle of the pack by the 2nd (increasing to 1:57, whereas the front runners were doing 1:55's). Ferrari looked good and i suspect they were taking it easy.

What's more interesting is McLarens wing and snorkel arrangement. It's completely genius! >HERE< (which is completely legal >HERE<). The basics are that they have air coming from the snorkel (at the front of the car) being passed through the cockpit, where there is a hole near the brake pedal/footplate in the tunnelling/tubing, and out the back over the wing. During cornering the drive leaves the hole uncovered which reduces airflow over the wing and in turn increases drag/down force. Once on a straight the hole is covered, increasing the airflow and reducing drag/down force. They say this will give them a 3/4kph increase on the straights, whilst also cooling the driver.

Vettel and Webber were having a good nose around the cockpit this morning -

Lotus looked really good today with a 2 second lead on Virgin, although they had a few issues this morning. Likewise with Virgin. Although they were both about 5-7seconds off the top runners today, which is what everyone was saying they'd be. Hopefully they can improve but i think for this season they'll be at the back acting as mobile chicanes

HRT on the other only got a few laps in, stayed at the bottom and ended the 2nd practice with Senna's car loosing a wheel nut. Chandhok's car wasn't even ready for today and he will only have an hours practice in the car before quali tomorrow. It's not looking good for them and i think they'll have serious issues (i suspect reliability will be one of them) this season. Which is a shame considering up until about 3 weeks ago they only had two empty tubs and all of the team staff have been living off a few hours sleep everyday for the last few weeks to get the cars ready.
Tommy L

12th Mar 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know what the issue was with Hamilton's tyres?
stuartmitchell

12th Mar 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So cant wait for Qualifying tomorrow: 10:15 start BBC 1 IIRC!
Dom

12th Mar 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
Do you know what the issue was with Hamilton's tyres?

No yet, he was just complaining that a set of hard tyres were lasting 4 laps

edit - just to add, button didn't run the hard tyres and there doesn't seem to be any more info on this. So who knows what the problem is. Although we had this last year with the hard tyres going quickly at the start of the race and them improving towards the end when there was sufficient rubber on the track.

[Edited on 12-03-2010 by Dom]
Rick Draper

12th Mar 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Talk of the reintroduction of the 107% rule, probably for next season but imho it should be implemented now.
FruitBooTeR

12th Mar 10 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i might put a bet on the fastest lap

£20.00 on Hamilton, Schumacher, Rosberg, Button Odds are good atm.
Dom

12th Mar 10 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
Talk of the reintroduction of the 107% rule, probably for next season but imho it should be implemented now.

There has been talk of it for a while since the new teams have joined and if it was reintroduced i think it would hinder new teams joining. Certainly something needs to be done to stop teams like Lotus, Virgin and HRT (HRT mainly at the moment) being mobile chicanes for other drivers, but i'm not too sure that the 107% rule is the way to do it. I think something needs to be done at the team selection/development stages.

Example of the 107% from todays timings - Best Time = 1:55.409, 107% limit = 23.488, Senna, Buemi and Chandhok would be out.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » F1 2010 Teams and Cars (& Launches) 23 database queries in 0.0138690 seconds