corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » fast lane

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fast lane
James_DT

User status: Offline
8th Feb 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because there's usually lorries and things in the 1st lane, so it's easier than pulling in just to pull out 2 minutes later.
Sitting right out in the 3rd lane means I can avoid anything in the 2nd lane too.
Like I said, only when going faster than I should be, and only when I'm not in anyone's way.
Dan295

8th Feb 10 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8 pages by midnight
Cosmo

8th Feb 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
Because there's usually lorries and things in the 1st lane, so it's easier than pulling in just to pull out 2 minutes later.
Sitting right out in the 3rd lane means I can avoid anything in the 2nd lane too.
Like I said, only when going faster than I should be, and only when I'm not in anyone's way.

Its not exactly hard work to move out every few minutes.

In fact it takes away the boredom of sitting in one lane for fucking ages.
S@M

8th Feb 10 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but hes doyles friend
James_DT

8th Feb 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by James_DT

Its not exactly hard work to move out every few minutes.

In fact it takes away the boredom of sitting in one lane for fucking ages.

It's not hard work, but why do it when there's no need. If I'm doing over 70, and the inside lane is doing under 60, I might as well put some distance between me and them.
There's 4 lanes on the bit of the A1M I drive on, and I'm only out in the 2nd or 3rd while I'm not getting in anyone's way, I don't see the problem.

edit: on normal dual carriageways, I sit on the inside lane unless overtaking like everyone else. I get the whole stick to the left unless overtaking thing, I just don't see the need to stick to it when I'm going 15mph+ faster than everything else in the inside lane and there's 3 other lanes, most of which are empty.

[Edited on 08-02-2010 by James_DT]
Generation

8th Feb 10 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with James I would do same thing
Cosmo

8th Feb 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well using your own argument - their is no need.

Why sit in the 2nd or 3rd lane when their is no need? And dont try to tell me that the fact in 2 mins a car may well be in that lane is need to stay over for the whole time.
James_DT

8th Feb 10 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not saying there is a need to sit out in the 2nd or 3rd lane. I just can't be arsed to weave in/out of the inside lane when there's others going free.
I'm not even saying it's the right thing to do, I'm just explaining why I do it.
Like I said, dual carriageways or when its busy, I'll sit in the inside lane until I need to pass something.
antnee

8th Feb 10 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get why you would stay in the 2nd or 3rd either. Only if the motorway is fairly busy and theres not much room for changing lanes
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Feb 10 at 23:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason is that there's a rule that says that you must, which is for the benefit of other motorists, particularly those whose speed you've misjudged, or who you haven't observed.

If you were plodding along at an indicated 70mph in lane three, that means there's probably a 10% margin in which people could approach and still be legal, and you would be in the way.

So you're in lane 3 doing an indicated 70 - lets say 63 for the sake of differentiating your speed from other motorists - and someone overtakes behind you. The car they are overtaking is doing 66 and they are doing 70. They are in lane 1 and 2 respectively. Where are you going to go upon their approach?

They're going faster than you and are to your left.

Scale it up a bit and introduce illegal speeds for the sake of argument. The cars are in lanes 1 and 2 doing 80 and 90. And you're a bloody hazard.
James_DT

8th Feb 10 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair point, I'd never looked at it like that.
Linch

9th Feb 10 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We travel all over with work in a sprinter, once you have that wound up to 90mph its nice too keep it there, when some cock cheese pulls out into the fast lane doing 65mph its a piss take! Also people who sit in the middle lane! learn to drive ffs!
Ben G

9th Feb 10 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only problem with the inside lane are the sheer amount of pot holes.

Middle lane is usually nice and smooth which is why people love to hog it and not move over.
x14xe sport

9th Feb 10 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i make people move into the inside lane if its clear i hate middle laners, xenon equipt white van is excellent for the job, even scares reps out the outside lane when you come charging up
Generation

9th Feb 10 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, you sound like a really good and safe driver. What you do is much better
mattfiesta

9th Feb 10 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
The only problem with the inside lane are the sheer amount of pot holes.

Middle lane is usually nice and smooth which is why people love to hog it and not move over.

Can't say I've noticed a difference in smoothness between the different lanes and I don't think I've ever hit a pot hole on the motorway, theyre the best maintained roads.
Neo

9th Feb 10 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grinds my gears tbh. Not just people not moving from the outside lane but this thread too.

If your on the motorway, you are in the inside, when you need to overtake you move out and back in. Highway code.

If someone is overtaking and you wish to overtake them, use the outside lane, but as quickly as possible move back to the inside.

The amount of cock jockeys on the motorway that can't manage this baffles me. I can quite happily sit at 85 leptons and move from inside to middle to inside and not find it a chore.

Then you have some complete tool who won't move out of the outside lane, will sit at 65 mph trying to set the world to rights, people then start queueing leaving the middle and inside lanes empty.

If I ever get in trouble for untaking (I move from the outside to inside) in this scenario I'd want to take it to court and fight that the other driver was causing a hazard.

Really is my biggest gripe as I do between 500 and 1000 motorway miles a week
Generation

9th Feb 10 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alrite Peter
Joe

9th Feb 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Well using your own argument - their is no need.

Why sit in the 2nd or 3rd lane when their is no need? And dont try to tell me that the fact in 2 mins a car may well be in that lane is need to stay over for the whole time.

there*

don't*
nathy_87

9th Feb 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and for the record it's called an Overtaking lane not a 'fast lane' we're not in America.
Nath

9th Feb 10 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo
Oh and for the record it's called an Overtaking lane not a 'fast lane' we're not in America.

Page 1 tbh
Daimo B

9th Feb 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
So what, you have no right to slow someone up who wants to go faster. It's also in he highway code that you should keep left unless overtaking. I cannot stress this enough, keep to the fucking left hand fucking lane unless you're fucking overtaking!

Ditto, with his anger.

Or face loosing your mirror, or getting a kicking at the side of the road for being an ignorent selfish twat who does not understand lane discipline.

Bet you sit in the middle lane too.

KEEP LEFT, so if the inside lane is free, go in it.

And its not the "fast lane" either, its lane 3 (or 4).

And no, i've not read pages 2-3-4...

[Edited on 09-02-2010 by VXR]
pow
Premium Member

9th Feb 10 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the record it's Lane 1,2,3,4 etc.
Daimo B

9th Feb 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damien wins

Undertaking ft. Im not moving accross 3 lanes because the middle lane tosser does know have any lane discipline.

If I get pulled, I will argue why did they not also pull over the person driving without due care and attention sitting in the middle lane.

Ojc

9th Feb 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or do what we do in Europe and just open the taps and leave the indicator on, the Europeans are well disciplined in moving out of the way of the English.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » fast lane 22 database queries in 0.0146208 seconds