corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RAF fairford air tatoo *PICS on page 2*

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RAF fairford air tatoo *PICS on page 2*
Budgie

User status: Offline
19th Jul 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

raptors just gone past

not to shabby workin near farnbo air field
Daimo B

19th Jul 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
This is a difficult one and one where people assume stealth has a part to play in a dog fight or even long range air interception.

What you need to remember, is for a stealth plane to 'see' it's enemy it has to use RADAR, which transmits a high powered radio wave. This is easily detected by a Eurofighters avionics and using mono-pulse interferometry it can pin point where the stealth plane is. Basically it is like someone completely in the dark in black overalls. to see you they need to shine a torch. so you now see them.

Stealth is useful for bombers to avoid Radar guided AA but nowadays we have enough capability that we already know where the radar sites are so can fly around them or high enough that they pose no threat. Bombs now use guidance so can be released higher up and wind etc has no effect on them as they steer themselves to target.

Also, remember, the Raptor and Eurofighter carry basically the same air intercept missiles but the Eurofighter carries more of them as it doesn't need to hide them away. And the most succesful missile is the AIM 9L sidewinder which detects heat. the Raptor still emits a huge heat signature as the engines need to be so powerful due to its massive drag.

Still I think the EFA would win. Stealth is so over rated.

I did wonder this. When I done air exp at RAF Manston (wanted to be a fly boy ), the chaps were telling us how our old radar systems could pick up stealth aircraft, they displayed up as a small or light aircraft, but as small aircraft do about 150mph, the stealths are doing a fair bit more, so easily noticable. That was before a personnel flyby of 2 F16's doing the "coast run" (London, round the coast of Kent to margate, and round and back to Dover). Superb experience.

Also, both aircraft would fall out the sky if the computers switched off, but the EF is designed to be twitchy as you say, and the F22 not like that at all. I remember the F22 plans back in the early 80's. Eurofighter was in it too. had a really good book about modern/future aircraft and they were in it. So was the C5 etc as well. F22 was a computer picture back then though

So, really, the EF would whoop the F22's ass. The only way the F22 would have a real advantage is to stick one of those VTOL systems like they tried on the F23?

[Edited on 19-07-2010 by Daimo B]
Ste
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is impossible for them to be completely invisible to RADAR as there will always be some part of the aircraft reflecting. Only on a stealth, they limit this as much as possible.

I know people who have seen stealth aircraft on RADAR and say they show up about the size of a goose. But travelling at 1000mph.

Don't forget, Raptor is designed to be the Americans export 5th gen aircraft. It wouldn't be that good that it would beat any of their current fleet!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, do you mean VTOL or vectored thrust?

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Daimo B

19th Jul 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, the F23 doesn't really use VTOL so much, its more vectored thrust isn't it?

When you say 5th Gen, then surely it should be able to beat all the current USAF fleet shouldn't it?

The current generation of American fighters is really immense.
Ste
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5th gen Raptor is a bit like an Iphone4, better features than the previous model, but still not a patch on the competition.

Ojc

19th Jul 10 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This exact scenario is being discussed on Pistonheads at the moment.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=191&t=879172&mid=104831&nmt=EuroFighter Tycoon
Daimo B

19th Jul 10 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
5th gen Raptor is a bit like an Iphone4, better features than the previous model, but still not a patch on the competition.

How to sum it up perfectly

All the toys, looks great on paper, but vs a good old Nokia 3310, that can be thrown against the wall, dropped in soup, soaked in water, and dried in the airing cupboard, and still come out fighting and working.

tbh, like a lot of cars these days too really.
Budgie

19th Jul 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick question

does anybody remember or know of an old plane that looked liked its wings were on backwards

instead of sweeping backwards like most they went forwards

or am i just making things up again?
Ste
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People seem to forget. Buying military planes isn't like buying a TV. The RAF and government set out what they need from an aircraft then put it out to tender. The company that comes back with the best package gets the contract. You have the greatest military minds and the worlds best engineers designing an aircraft to be the best at a number of jobs then some kids on the internet decide something else would be better suited to our defence needs.

Daimo B

19th Jul 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Budgie
quick question

does anybody remember or know of an old plane that looked liked its wings were on backwards

instead of sweeping backwards like most they went forwards

or am i just making things up again?

Edit

X29, not X50. Was a NASA experimental aircraft.

I've got a photo of one from the NASA centre in Florida, but can't get to my FB.

Daimo B

19th Jul 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
People seem to forget. Buying military planes isn't like buying a TV. The RAF and government set out what they need from an aircraft then put it out to tender. The company that comes back with the best package gets the contract. You have the greatest military minds and the worlds best engineers designing an aircraft to be the best at a number of jobs then some kids on the internet decide something else would be better suited to our defence needs.

I wouldn't say that. I'd just say watch some Stargate or something and use that stuff.
FAZ
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

russians made one as well no mig 47?

Daimo B

19th Jul 10 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Russians claimed they made it first, it was a Sukhoi S-37. Big hoo har over the fact the Americans copied their forward wing design.

But in fact, they were both 40 years behined.......

Yup

Mans worst nightmare...

Or not in terms of technology, Ze Germans...

Ju 287

Budgie

19th Jul 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks i was thinking of the russian one.
Ojc

19th Jul 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speaking of Germans being miles ahead of the game, say about 70 years ahead of the game

Horten Ho 229

Taranis

Daimo B

19th Jul 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But they wern't made.

I've got an idea for a new inter stella warp drive..... its on paper uknow
Ojc

19th Jul 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suggest you revise the above post Damien.
AlexSXI

19th Jul 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone in the know,,
I know the traffic gets abit crazy around Farnborough so what time would be best to get there?!

I've never driven before, and can only just remember what it was like from being a passenger with Dad years ago.

John

19th Jul 10 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Speaking of Germans being miles ahead of the game, say about 70 years ahead of the game

That's a drawing mate.
Mad Moe

19th Jul 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FAZ
russians made one as well no mig 47?

Thats a Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut
Ste
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

That is also a drawing. albeit a modern day one done on a computer.

John

19th Jul 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks like it's out of flight sim or something like that.
Ojc

19th Jul 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I've seen and heard all sorts of jets this week being between Fairford and Farnborough, I heard something tremendous fly over Thursday ran outside to see a F-15 doing a sharp turn over my house and heading towards Farnborough.

should see what comes over my house on a daily basis, Jaguars, Tornados, Hercules, sometiems sounds like the C130's are going to take the roof off the house

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RAF fairford air tatoo *PICS on page 2* 23 database queries in 0.0177751 seconds