corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Who still lives at home?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who still lives at home?
R Lee

User status: Offline
26th Jul 10 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

27, single, my own house for 3 years.

Totally crippling on finances. Not fun to see my money come in, then go straight out.
I still make enough to have play though
Lawrah
Premium Member

26th Jul 10 at 23:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

24, lived with mum for about a year now.. pay 150 a month.. prob move out if I settle down with someone.
a_j_mair

26th Jul 10 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
25 and live in a big old farm with my parents. BOOM!

Seriously Paul who gives a fuck who you bump into to, get your own place because you want to and not because you are bothered about what some guy from school thinks.

If I lived somewhere that sucked, yeah I'd probably would of moved out by now but I'm in a lovely house, not far from work 15ms) or the office (1 minute) and surrounded by sheep.

I was in exact same position until I moved in with the girlfriend just over 2 years ago

best thing i ever did to be honest although I am now skint live in an ex council house, have no games room, no fancy car and lots of debt
Paul_J

26th Jul 10 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Paul you seem to be full of 10yr plans, if I save such & such i'll be able to buy a flat & rent it out to matt then move to Tipperary.

Why not just buy some bricks & a front door & live in it & move up the ladder like 99.9% of folk do??

Because as I said, I'm not settled down. I don't want to continue working where I work now, I'm not sure where I'm going to go get a job at next. If I work and live in central london while I'm young, then there's no way I can afford a place anywhere around there. Hence the wait... / buying somewhere and renting it out.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
27th Jul 10 at 00:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
I don't want to end up like the guy who lives in the flat above me, 35 years old renting and still no where near a decent deposit.
Don't rule this out - he'll be riding out fluctuations in the property market and if anything breaks, he phones someone and they fix it. He knows how much its going to cost every single month to walk around the same four walls, eat and sleep in the same kitchen and bedroom as the guy who bought it, except that guy is tied in to a mortgage, paying interest, watching rate changes, paid legal fees to buy it and will pay legal fees to sell it. In truth, guy upstairs is probably laughing compared to anyone who bought over the past few years (and few years to come).
adiohead

27th Jul 10 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah
24, lived with mum for about a year now.. pay 150 a month.. prob move out if I settle down with someone.

but you look so much older
Eck
Premium Member

27th Jul 10 at 01:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still live with the parents. Fucking love it. Maw does all the cooking and cleaning, gets up at 6am every morning to make my piece, and if I'm nightshift I come home at 7am to the hoover going in my room Me and Shell are considering getting a flat but that won't happen unless she takes over ALL of my maws duties.
Graham88

27th Jul 10 at 02:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

22 now, although my intentions are to be moved out by the time I'm 25, that's not actually that far away and I don't feel ready. When I was 18 and people who were 25 said they still lived at home I used to think they were such saddos, but now I'm almost at that age I can see why they still lived at home. It's so much easier being at home and having everything done for me, no pressures, plus being single I'd have to cut out so many luxuries and I don't think I could own my car as that costs me a bomb each month.

Problem is I've told my Mum I wanna be out by 25, but I don't want too if I'm single, rather split the cost with someone but I don't fancy moving in with mates either.

[Edited on 27-07-2010 by Graham88]
AlunJ

27th Jul 10 at 04:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moved out at 20, it's hard work on my shite wages paying a mortgage and bills but I manage ish. Nice to be able to bring friends etc back and do whatever I want don't think I'd look back unless I was really skint.
Tiger

27th Jul 10 at 05:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm at home 2 days a week and living with my missus for the remainder, we're moving into another rented house around november time, havent and never will have the £25,000 for a deposit so will just go with the flow.
williamz

27th Jul 10 at 05:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moved out into a rented flat when i was 22, stayed there for a year realised i hated the thought of £600 a month going out my arse pocket without doing anything. Im now 24 living back with the rents but my mum and dad have brought me and my brother a house now so its all worked out fine
dannymccann

27th Jul 10 at 06:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 22, been living with my fiancee for 2 years, first 6 months was my last 6 months of uni, mortgaged with her since March of this year. She is also 22.

It would have been very difficult for me to stay at home with my parents, especially my mum, as she was so uptight about my girlfriend of 4 years and us not 'getting up to anything' meant the relationship between us all was strained. Plus there was no jobs round where they live etc etc etc
Fro

27th Jul 10 at 06:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul you also need to factor in needing a buy to let mortgage if you want to rent the house/flat out. These are usually more expensive.
DaveyLC

27th Jul 10 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people have got it too good with their parents and to be honest I dont blame them for staying at home although It doesnt exactly prepare you for "the real world".. Personally I couldnt wait to get out! I think I was 23 when I moved out..

I'm 29 now but LOADS of my mates still live with mummy and daddy and probably will well into their 30's merely because they have got big houses and pay fuck all to their parents to live there so the fritter all their money on useless crap
Pablo

27th Jul 10 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I moved out when I was 24 for 3 years, then moved home while I put my deposit on my house should complete next month and i will be sitting happy in my 3 bed detached Just wish itd hurry up and complete !!
AndyKent

27th Jul 10 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the trouble I see with people paying very small amounts each month to their parents.

It's fine if their parents are willing to accept this, but what a shock when you do move out and go from loosing £150 per month (or whatever) to spending a grand or more, plus suddenly having to look after yourself.

A lot of my mates burn through cash like water when I reckon with a bit of self-control they could probably afford to move out. As it is, they spend more down the pub each month than they put into a house deposit.

What's funny though is that on the last mortgage quote i got, it said that for every £1 you borrow, you will end up paying £1.33 at current (super low) rates of interest. That alone should encourage people not to waste every last penny!!!
Tom

27th Jul 10 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I moved out at 23 for 18 months and then lost my job. I moved back in with my mum in late 2007, currently saving up to move out within the next 6-8 months with my girlfriend.
Robbo

27th Jul 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm almost 29, moved out not long after I turned 23, to live with my then fiancee. I would have moed out earlier but we bought a brand new house 6 months earlier and had palnned to do so for a while so we both stayed at home and saved.

Moved back home just before I turned 26 for 6 months after we broke up but have live don my own for the past 2 1/2 years. Couldnt live at home again, need your own space!

As for the right age to mvoe out, assumign yuo didnt go to Uni (I didnt) then I'd say 21 is a good age BUT its just too damn expensive these days plus the glut of new houses means lots of people dont want to just move to somewhere they can afford if its just gonna be a grotty bedsit etc IMO

Paul_J

27th Jul 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
I don't want to end up like the guy who lives in the flat above me, 35 years old renting and still no where near a decent deposit.
Don't rule this out - he'll be riding out fluctuations in the property market and if anything breaks, he phones someone and they fix it. He knows how much its going to cost every single month to walk around the same four walls, eat and sleep in the same kitchen and bedroom as the guy who bought it, except that guy is tied in to a mortgage, paying interest, watching rate changes, paid legal fees to buy it and will pay legal fees to sell it. In truth, guy upstairs is probably laughing compared to anyone who bought over the past few years (and few years to come).

Yeah but he's going to have a miserable time when he gets old. No property, no income to rent.
Paul_J

27th Jul 10 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah

but you look so much older

That stops being a compliment once they're over 16 mate
Robbo

27th Jul 10 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Agreed. Im in a similar boat to Paul tbh in that since ive lvie don my own ive never known what i wanted to do with my life and ive not wanted to be tied down by a mortgage in the current hard to sell climate.

I chatted to my landlord the other day and he suggested that the flat i live in was worth £225k when I moved in in Jan 2008 and that its worth less than £210k at present hence, has my rent really just been money down the drain (around £22k in the same period) givne the flexibility that renting has afforded me (for example a smany know, i will shortly be movign to london and can suimply give 6 weeks notice - badda-bing badda-boom and ive moved). Also, as Ian said, when somethign breaks - one call and the landlord fixes it such as the partially damaged ceilign where upstairs dickhead fell asleep with the taps running

the one thign that pisses me off is that i earn a whackign great wage and could easily afford a mortgage for a more than suitable hosu eon my own BUT i cant make the 10-20% deposit required these days on my own (not that i want a mortgage but still pisses me off)
Robbo

27th Jul 10 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Yeah but he's going to have a miserable time when he gets old. No property, no income to rent.
not necy, once the market stabilises he'll be in a sound position to acquire somewhere. And yes, he will have padi lots in rent but if he needs to mvoe around then at elast he wont make losses sellign property

dont forget that the uk is the only big country in europe where buyign is considered the norm, germany et al are generally 80/20 in the favour fo renting. those that own property acquired it through inheritance! we are going that way too these days!
chr15barn3s

27th Jul 10 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am 23 and still live at home. Thought about moving out a couple of years ago and could of done it renting or one of these shared ownership places but I would not have had any money left to do my own thing. I didn't really want to move in with a mate either and would rather wait until I settled down with someone to be honest. Probably should be saving money at the moment for this but I bought a new Scirocco and still have over 3 years left of paying it Im hoping I will save up enough in 18 months or so to pay the finance off so I own it outright.
Daimo B

27th Jul 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have lived at home for all my life?

It just so happens I moved out of my mums house about 4.5 years ago into my own home, but my mums home was still my home too

March I moved in, so by the time im 30 I would have been there 5 years. Dammmmmmmmm, thats gone quick!!!!
Paul_J

27th Jul 10 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
When I was 18 and people who were 25 said they still lived at home I used to think they were such saddos, but now I'm almost at that age I can see why they still lived at home.

This is the problem, always looking ahead people seem old / sad in certain situations... then when you reach that age, you realise it's not the case.

I remember thinking when I was 15 that being 25 would be SOOO OLD.
Same with when I was 18/19 feeling that 23 would be old to leave uni etc.

Now I'm 25, although I'm definitely starting to feel older, I feel young compared to the 25-35 age group.

The thought of 'being 35' seems old, but the reality is everyone I know who is 35 is still fairly young (seems it in comparison) and I can imagine being 35 feeling similar to how I do now.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Who still lives at home? 22 database queries in 0.3158851 seconds