corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article
adiohead

User status: Offline
4th May 11 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you make me happy, but you're way out of my price range
Steve
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I think people need to look past the instant savings and think about the long term:

Economy
Common rail diesel engines are FAR more efficient then their equivilent petrol cousins, even hybrids find it hard to keep up! Yeah you might only save a few quid if you are doing short journeys but think of how long you'll be driving between fill ups.. time is money and all that

Insurance
Diesels tend to be cheaper to insure, they are the sensible choice and (at present anyway) a lower risk category in most cases.

Emissions
I'm sure nobody really cares *BUT* when it comes to paying for your TAX there are loads of common rail diesels that fall into the £30 bracket and just about every other modern diesel will be a lower bracket than its petrol cousin.

Residuals
In the current climate diesels sell better, its a fact! Yeah they are more expensive to buy but they depreciate far less and are easier to shift.

Reliability
Due to the nature of a diesel engine running on principal pre-igniton and not revving so high they are inherently stronger and generally last longer. Granted injectors and turbos can be a heafty cost if they fail.

IMHO most people who can't see the benefits have never owned one, its the same as the whole "I hate motorcyclists" rant which always seems to be by someone who's never ridden a bike on the road.

Open your minds

agree with most of this, but my personal experiences werent good with reliability, my fabia blew up 2 turbos at a cost of 800 quid a time, of course this may well not reflect generally what happens, but it has put me off ownig another turbo diesel
adiohead

4th May 11 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I would have been happy with a Fabia vRS, but happier with a Puma.

I was happy with my mk5 Fiesta Zetec-S in imperial blue
DaveyLC

4th May 11 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
blah blah blah

agree with most of this, but my personal experiences werent good with reliability, my fabia blew up 2 turbos at a cost of 800 quid a time, of course this may well not reflect generally what happens, but it has put me off ownig another turbo diesel

I think you were unlucky

I've done a turbo on my motor but I bought a chinese copy @ £210 and its been good for the last 20k miles.
A2H GO

4th May 11 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
blah blah blah

I think you were unlucky

I've done a turbo on my motor but I bought a chinese copy @ £210 and its been good for the last 20k miles.

My mates golf GT TDi's cam snapped last week sending bits into his sump which got sucked into the oil pump destroying his engine. He dropped it into the garage who advised it was the third one they'd had in with the same problem that week. Paid £800 to have it fixed, rang me last night and his turbos blown up.

Its a 57 plate with 72k btw.
adiohead

4th May 11 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother's A3 tdi is playing up. Keeps going into limp mode and garages can't seem to help.

Steve
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My penis has gone into limp mode
adiohead

4th May 11 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics?
pow
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only diesel 'breakage' I've ever has is a turbo pipe blowing off at 90k on my Ibiza.

I've seen someone miss 4th and hit 2nd in his diesel, crankshaft ate itself but he drove like a wanker so serves him right
ed

4th May 11 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The crankshaft failed before anything else! P4WN3D
pow
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also don't see why people get on their high horses about this so much.

Yes my diesel cost £1k more than the 1.4 16v counterpart but it also came with 25 more bhp and over 100 more torques (clarkson ). My diesel HONESTLY averages 48-52MPG whereas I've been reading peoples real MPG on the 1.4 16v petrol WITHOUT a turbo is more like 35. It costs less to tax and when I sell it it'll be worth a %age more than the petrol.

Yes there was the initial outlay but if I wanted a petrol one I'd have gone for the 120 or 155 turbo (which was the same amount or more as my 1.6 diesel) and I would have spec'd it up to my budget anyway

I bought what I wanted, I didn't make 1000000 spreadsheets about it, I just knew that the diesel is what I wanted out of a 17k a year daily drive.

The mazda is a different story, I shove £20 in it and see how far it takes me, it's a fun car!
ajscorsa

4th May 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just got rid of my audi 2.0tdi for an anniversary golf petrol. my fuel bill has went from £70 a month to £150 ish a month.

pow
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But the petrol is better, right?
3CorsaMeal

4th May 11 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates diesel pump broke and it cost £1000's to replace.

pow
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deanos petrol pistons ate themselves and costs £1000+ to replace...
Steve
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a major engine catastrophic failure though, you would expect that to be 1000's.

diesel engines are robust but the technology surrounding modern diesels thats needed for them to run isnt IMO
adiohead

4th May 11 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.9tdi was pissing out diesel the other week
3CorsaMeal

4th May 11 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i saw a diesel peugeot once and it was on fire
Fad

4th May 11 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
[What they need to make is a diesel engine which is light and powerful,

Pug 1.6 16v HDI? The 206 GTi HDi is pretty impressive

Handles well but its a pretty shit car....mine was possibly the worst car I have ever owned. The only thing that saved it was the 700 mile range on a tank. The engine is shared with the Mini/C2 VTS etc but it was just terrible in that car.
Jambo

4th May 11 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deanos dads M3 had its running in servce
Fad

4th May 11 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure it was more economical when doing 80 oposed to doing 70....
antnee

4th May 11 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are common problems with the VAG 1.9's, such as oil starvation on the Fabia turbo's, DMF's being weak, ibiza boost pipes being wank, but its no different to the petrol 1.8 20vt which kills sensors and coilpacks for fun, ko3/s turbos crack, mani's crack
3CorsaMeal

4th May 11 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there's a car out there that never has a problem then i want to buy one
adiohead

4th May 11 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
if there's a car out there that never has a problem then i want to buy one

mk5 Ford Fiesta Zetec-S

EDIT - that's a lie. Phase 1 engines like to go boom

[Edited on 04-05-2011 by adiohead]
Steve
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think when diesels go wrong 9/10 its more expensive then petrols

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article 22 database queries in 0.0165560 seconds