corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car...........

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car...........
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Oct 11 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was doing the chuck up on one of those standing drills left the chuck key in by accident turned it on and the chuck flew into the window and cracked it better than hitting me though!

Also have not tightened wheels properly.

And when I first converted the xe I hadn't put the passenger side drive shaft in properly so it kept falling out but I couldnt work out the problem for ages haha

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Fro

28th Oct 11 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben, Very much so!

Also replaced a ball joint on a corsa then drove it round the block and it jumped out from where i hadn't pushed it in/done it up properly
daymoon
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pouring oil into the engine without the sump nut in place.

Not tightening wheel bolts
Forgot to put back the bolt that holds ball joint at front....
Mike GSi

28th Oct 11 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just the usual knuckle scrapes, and pinching the inside of the thumb in pliers

Biggest fail was when i first started my LET with just a downpipe on, in turn setting fire to the mat i used for under car work.
Mark.W

28th Oct 11 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seem to forget to tighten my wheel bolts up when iv had my wheels off

midlandvauxhalls

28th Oct 11 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spent 2 days trying to drill the head off a rounded headbolt that was already loose
Robo C20Let

28th Oct 11 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had the gf helping my (but still my fault ish) i was changing the fuel filter on the old corsa with a walbro 255 in the tank.

when i changed it i was wiping a bit of dirt from around the pipe connector and said to her turn around as she was ignoring me nut she thought i said turn in on so the car cranked over, fuel pump kicked in and i got a face full of fuel.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Filling up the first engine conversion I did with gearbox oil. Thought it was using a lot. Driveshafts were out

Over a litre of oil straight onto the garage floor...

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not jacking a car up high enough. Undid the bolts heard this mighty bang and couldnt move the wheel. Took me a while to figure out the spring had unloaded and sent the disc down into my wheel :/

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by FlaFFy_91]
SamCorsaB

28th Oct 11 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not me personally but we were sat in a carpark at night my mate goes can you hear that tapping under the bonnet, couldn't here it so we both got out shut the doors and popped the bonnet, he starts pulling the throttle cable, click doors lock at 3000 rpm all smoothed locks and no spare key.
Scotty C

28th Oct 11 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SamCorsaB
Not me personally but we were sat in a carpark at night my mate goes can you hear that tapping under the bonnet, couldn't here it so we both got out shut the doors and popped the bonnet, he starts pulling the throttle cable, click doors lock at 3000 rpm all smoothed locks and no spare key.

Could have been worse..
Graham88

28th Oct 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
Spinning a wheel with my finger on a spoke to try and hear a noise. Didnt remove finger and it got caught between the wheel and caliper.

Finger has healed with a scar and is slightly bent chicks dig it

I have done that!! So painful!

Syphoning my mates fuel tank and it wouldn't come out, so gave the biggest suck I could do and got a mouth/faceful of fuel, took days to get rid of the taste :-(

Starting a car without the oil cap on and then getting a faceful of oil

various slipping off nuts and going flying

Working under cars and dropping tools on my face

Sneezing under the car and head butting the sump
SamCorsaB

28th Oct 11 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty C
quote:
Originally posted by SamCorsaB

Could have been worse..

Explain...
johnhara1

28th Oct 11 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have left wheel bolts loose, seriously loose infant on too many occasions. Never had a wheel fall off yet.

I replaced all the brake lines on my mothers astra and managed to get pipes mixed up on the rear compensator so instead of feeding the rears, the fluid was just fighting each other so no rear brakes. had to go to the scrap yard with pen and paper to draw a diagram of how the lines went. I couldn't be chewed removing all the lines again so flared them in situ and got some nice brake fluid burns. It's like sunburn......

Twice, i've done a clutch on a punto 8v and managed to have the engine fall off of the jack because i was too lazy to get the hoist out. Second time i smashed the ecu wiring so almost put breaker bar through the windcreen in anger. I had a mint session in the gym that night.

I can't remember why i did this now but i had the car jacked up and engine running so a wheel was turning. I was looking underneath for some reason and burnt my forehead on the wheel leaving a nice square inch burn/scab on my head.

Replaced a wheel bearing and hub on my xe corsa. The hub had snapped inside the bearing so the shaft was a pig to remove but instead of putting a nut on the end of the shaft to protect it, i didn't think and just smashed it out with a hammer. I compressed about 3 threads so couldn't get the castle nut back on. I sat for an hour with a file and hacksaw sorting the threads out and it went straight on.

I've done loads of other silly stuff like use a 4l container to catch 5l of oil etc too. Every mistake i've made has been hurrying get stuff done or trying to save time but cutting corners. It never works, always takes 10x longer.

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by johnhara1]
Steve
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there are some that say a wheel wont fall off even if the bolts come right off unsure about that tbh, thats if only going straight though

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by Steve]
JM_16v

28th Oct 11 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

building my engine i didnt realise inlet and exhaust shims were diffrent, when is tried to start it i had no comppression with brand new forged internals on a £2,000 parts only build.

soon sorted it thou when i figured it out and my friend laughed at me for a week
Bonney

28th Oct 11 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putting an exhaust on my astra, was swinging a large rubber mallet over my head to knock the centre section onto the cat, Just swung the hammer as someone shouted me only to smash it straight into the top of my head full pelt!

Tightening the wheel bolts up on the saxo after changing the brake pads only to snap a wheel bolt and throw myself down the drive.

After changing the drill bit in a pillar drill in a mates garage, forgot I left the chuck key in the chuck and fired it straight out of the door and straight through the front grill of my Astra.

Fro

28th Oct 11 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i did the chuck thing in school once
thegsi

28th Oct 11 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I put the 2L brakes on my Turbo, we couldnt for the life of us bleed the system. The pedel would firm up, then go soft then firm then soft. We were on it for a few hours until I spotted the bleed nipple on the bottom of the caliper. We had put the calipers on the wrong sides
sri_baby

28th Oct 11 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was tightening a rear shock on a vectra c as i tightened it the socket slipped off and i hit myself in the face never felt so sick in my life but everyone else found it pretty funny lol
kennySRi

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
there are some that say a wheel wont fall off even if the bolts come right off unsure about that tbh, thats if only going straight though

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by Steve]

I can assure you that the wheel can come off

I sold my old nova to a local guy and a week later they were fixing something on it and one guy forgot to tighten the wheel bolts. One of them went to test drive and felt alot of vibrations so slowed down and then next thing he knew the wheel bounced along the road and the front end of the car went crashing into the ground Needed a new disc and smashed the bottom of the wing and blended in skirt

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by kennySRi]
JM_16v

Actually worse was a slipped with a air gun, hit myself in the face and knocked half of my front tooth off, nearly passed out and now have a fake half tooth
taylorboosh

28th Oct 11 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done loads...

in the dark put the battery on my mk4 1.8t golf on backwards and blew the altenator up... even twisted the terminal out to fit on the wrong way

tipped imps engine on side and spilt loads of oil everywhere through a breather

changing tappets on my first car 1.2 8v i turned it over with no rocker cover on lol had oil stripes under bonnet

used a single filament bulb in a twin hole on my mates lexus lights as thats all he had, his headlights flashed as he braked and people kept pulling out on him

used nylock nuts to atach a downpipe to a corsa manifold on my sri c.... didnt last long

on my first white b i was stressed and threw a spanner off the floor, bounced back of the kerb and hit the qaurter denting it

started the tt in gear and crashed into my garage

taylorboosh

28th Oct 11 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

steve a mate of mine had 2 wheels fall of in one night... he had it jacked up with a certain north east organiser on here and they tightened the bolts with it in the air... his rear wheel fell off and he put it back on but didnt bother checking the front, this fell off on dual carriage way and we spent about four hours looking for it to find it wedged in a tree
taylorboosh

28th Oct 11 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car........... 23 database queries in 0.0170450 seconds