corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling

Poll: power vs handling
Power 38 (55.88%)
Handling 30 (44.12%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power vs handling
AK

User status: Offline
17th Jul 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
Ever noticed how people with slow cars always go on about handling? 5mph more round a corner can't be that much more exciting.

5mph round a corner can be very different...

In a bad/poor handling car 50mph round a medium speed corner could just be understeer then long delay 'till application of power - slow out of the corner.

In a well set up/good handling car the 55mph could be very neutral, no slide and allowing much earlier application of power - much faster overall and better experience.

AK

17th Jul 12 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So you need power for lap times? Interesting. Kinda proves a lot of this handling on slow cars to be pointless!!

ofcourse they are linked numbnuts.

You need BOTH.
3CorsaMeal

17th Jul 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ignore Nic Barnes, he is just trolling and dropping spam all over the place
AK

17th Jul 12 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have to say that a lot of cars dont really handle well out of the box and many are subjective (like Paul said).

If someone is used to a car, knows its shortfalls and can drive it in a positive and confident manner then it may appear that the car handles well. Give that car to someone else and they think its pish

Case in hand - my Impreza.

A lot of folk say it handles very well - Ian, Cole etc have been out in it. It turns in well, generally has lots of grip and has good brakes BUT when Fee drives the car she thinks its way to skitty and RWD biased (the way I have it).

I drive her car and get the impression i'm driving a truck.

With time in both you'd learn to adapt.
antnee

17th Jul 12 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW

why not just buy an old E36 325 or 328 or a 1995 sti impreza or similar and it will no doubt handle better, be faster and be cheaper to start with?

Going on this point, it just depends what you want to do, I like tinkering, like not being suspected of being quick in my Ibiza. Starting off with a 'not so good car' makes it more of a challenge, my Ibiza will be very similar to the holy grail of FWD, the clio if I had done the same mods to both.
big eck

17th Jul 12 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk

i think the majority of people who are saying POWER (clarkson voice) dont even drive a car with more than 250bhp.

My last 2 cara have both been over 270bhp. My LCR is a prime example, it's totally standard suspension wise but it still handles very well. Fair enough maybe not on a track but for road use it's adequate.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think some of it is in the build too.

I really enjoyed building mine but i really do think that the more ive done the less real world fun i receive.

Sure beating pretty much everything on the road apart from some exotic automobilia is great and the same goes for on track but you have to be consentrating 100% at all times. I really miss getting in my old state of tune 170bhp na and just thrashing it around, chucking it in knowing that i really dont have that much power to be going silly fast. Atm if i even squeeze the throttle down for a couple of seconds im into triple figures. That said i loved getting in my standard micra and really abusing it on the b roads. Lol
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
quote:

i think the majority of people who are saying POWER (clarkson voice) dont even drive a car with more than 250bhp.

My last 2 cara have both been over 270bhp. My LCR is a prime example, it's totally standard suspension wise but it still handles very well. Fair enough maybe not on a track but for road use it's adequate.

I didnt say everyone
antnee

17th Jul 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with you Chris, my suspension is too hard for the road really (B road thrashes) just gets too unsettled
John

17th Jul 12 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So basically it depends on exactly what you use the car for and your own preference.

So someone who says power, even if it's not an elite approved 250+ bhp, is as correct as someone who says handling, no matter what handling means to them.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My requirements for cars are handling for the Corsa, load space and economy for the Combo and my next car will be about power and comfort for pulling the Corsa about, it'll still be under 250bhp though, probably under 200 realistically.
micra_pete
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
So basically it depends on exactly what you use the car for and your own preference.

So someone who says power, even if it's not an elite approved 250+ bhp, is as correct as someone who says handling, no matter what handling means to them.

No John.

I have an elite 300bhp car and an elite handling puma, I also have god like driving ability.

Power wins.
John

17th Jul 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said power, my driving consists of going to work and back, fear of a bad handling car on a corner is just as much fun as fear of a good handling car. The bad handling more powerful one just means I can catch up with the next car in front a bit quicker.

If I wanted to have internet points or go on track my needs might be different.

I also have neither at the moment, I get my thrills when it's raining and corners are like driving on ice.

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by John]
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pete, is it your puma with te angry bird on it?
micra_pete
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was a wind up John, I agree with you.

Angry Bird Chris? sometimes one driving it.
Nic Barnes

17th Jul 12 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without power, you will never have fun.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone took me out in their puma at combe. I cant remember who it was.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Ok mate.

I aint argueing with you, id have more luck talking to a wall.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thread is full of troll banter
neil h

17th Jul 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

In a corsa, you will never have fun
corsadonk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You're thinking of Nick, I know him as Dark horse off Mig.
smcGSI16V

17th Jul 12 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Handling all day long for me.

Chris and Paul have hit the nail on the head to be honest.

Nick-S

17th Jul 12 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to say handling but if im honest its power i use more oftern on my trips to and from work.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
quote:

You're thinking of Nick, I know him as Dark horse off Mig.

ah is that his name, i thought he might be from here or weekend racer.
tom130691
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

handling for me, speed in a straight line takes no skill and is boring

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling 24 database queries in 0.0150151 seconds