corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Expensive looking crash at the Nurburgring today

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Expensive looking crash at the Nurburgring today
whitter45

User status: Offline
4th Jun 13 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaned12345
http://youtu.be/IfHJCv_S6iI

Well that corner puts me off

[Edited on 04-06-2013 by shaned12345]

Steve's car at 2.04 on the video??
taylorboosh

4th Jun 13 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Maybe next time ill put "yeah, going to the Ring, not really excited about taking my car round I'm just there to visit the Castle and eat Pinochios so I can put a cool internet post on Corsasport when I get home"

May aswell, afterall thats why 95% of people want to go
Graham88

4th Jun 13 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably true tbf. Not me though, as much as my girlfriend might moan
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jun 13 at 01:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
there were comments along the lines of admitting he was going to be chasing times and "cant wait to rag the car round the ring" etc etc.

What else you going to say? Can't wait to drive normally the same as I do every other day? Course you're going to want to have a go.

People crash because its difficult to drive and unforgiving.

And attitude wouldn't have moved that deer out of the way any faster.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 06:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say nothing if that's your intentions.

Yes it is difficult and unforgiving hence why we were trying to calm him down and say take it easy, at least at first. Is itnow being frowned upon that me and ollie were trying to give good advice to someone who hadn't been at the time and looked like he was perhaps going in a bit gun Ho? If that's the case sorry, my advice to anyone going who hasn't been to try and go as fast as you can. Don't worry about the fact they banned timing it means nothing, take a stop watch and drive like forza on your first lap.

Deer crash couldn't have been avoided. Many crashes could have though. People were saying large bills put them off going. I was saying the are bills should put you off driving too fast not going on the trip at all.
AK

5th Jun 13 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... and if you cant drive fast, why go at all?
Nath

5th Jun 13 at 07:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This message was bought to you by Steve, Elite 'Ring Racing Driver.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 07:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=663513160332306&set=a.147215951962032.30163.143319095685051&type=1
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been thinking about this topic a fair bit, just to be clear again I've never done any sort of track day, but I certainly want to get on a small UK track for a number of reasons.

When I'm on a spirited drive, I'm almost certain my car has got another 30% or more to give. I don't push it though as my local B roads can be quite unforgiving. (Scared)

When I finally brave a trackday, my objectives will be to gradually build up round the corners slowly finding the limit of myself and the car. I also want to know how the car feels beyond the limit and how predictable/controllable it is.
If I string together a quick lap, brilliant - but it would be a byproduct not a goal.

I see the Ring as an expensive B road blast, with only protection against a speeding ticket. I dont see how anybody can really push their car gradually on a track with so many corners and so few laps. I'm sure one day I'll visit whether in my car or not, but whilst trying to be as neutral as possible I don't see the appeal

As a morbid side note, In the event of a fatality on the Ring, do laws such as "caused death by dangerous driving" apply, or are you protected by disclaimers etc by all who participate?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you caused a death, no you dont get away with it

Robin
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit shit that you could be prosecuted if your radiator blows and a biker dies, that doesn't happen on the road
Butler

5th Jun 13 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First thing I learnt when I got on the ring for the first time - everything you planned to do goes straight out the window.
smcGSI16V

5th Jun 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I done a 12 1/2 min lap on Sunday as I had the mrs in the car and she didn't want to go too fast. Didn't go faster than 80mph.
That was the only lap I done from Thurs to Sun.
So you don't have to go out there with the attitude of I will rag my car, I will go as fast as possible, I will do as many laps as possible.
There is more more to the place than that.
Chris C

5th Jun 13 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
First thing I learnt when I got on the ring for the first time - everything you planned to do goes straight out the window.

This !!
Brett
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fvUFWrqfd-c

shit your pants moment

Reminded me of this

Gary
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
If you caused a death, no you dont get away with it

Course you can. If it was an accident and not your fault.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gary
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What?
Graham88

5th Jun 13 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
there were comments along the lines of admitting he was going to be chasing times and "cant wait to rag the car round the ring" etc etc.

What else you going to say? Can't wait to drive normally the same as I do every other day? Course you're going to want to have a go.

Finally someone with common sense.

I didn't have a stop watch or a camera (wish I did!) so how was I chasing times?

I'm not a fan of the whole stopwatch thing to be fair. I film all my laps now if I get a good time then so be it, but I take every lap as it comes. It's impossible to say your going to 'go for it' on a certain lap as it really depends on traffic.

It's just the fact you constantly bring it up Steve and its said in such an, I told you so manner, you say Ollie mentioned it too but I've not once see him bring it up in conversation? This is the difference
Fonz
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Maybe next time ill put "yeah, going to the Ring, not really excited about taking my car round I'm just there to visit the Castle and eat Pinochios so I can put a cool internet post on Corsasport when I get home"

May aswell, afterall thats why 95% of people want to go

to be fair that is why me and my mate went, to a certain degee point. turning 25 within a week of each other we wanted the celebrate the "quarter of century" age by something memorable and decided on the 'Ring.

desipte having cars more than capable of producing some good times (me MX5, him CooperS), and plenty of fun along the way we didnt go with times in mind, simply to experience the atmosphere of the place, the drive round the carousel outself, to brave the limited run off, to see what all the fuss was about and to go a on a holiday to remember

quote:
I was saying the are bills should put you off driving too fast not going on the trip at all.

seconded for the above reasons.
despite going in August we were caught in a pretty wet few days and so didnt ever have a "dry track" so pushing it wasnt really an option.
the bills didnt put us off knowing our own limits and those limits in our own cars. with no intention to clock up the times the thought of the cost if it went wrong wasnt there as its we wouldnt be driving in a style which could get us close to the limit, we treated it like a "spirited drive" rather than a race track

quote:
Originally posted by AK
... and if you cant drive fast, why go at all?

for the experience? to say you have, to tick it off the list of "things to do before you die"?
AK

5th Jun 13 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not go to Brands/Silverstone then?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
Why not go to Brands/Silverstone then?

Cant compare it. I think Graham will agree you just cant compare a UK Trackday to being over there is not just the track but the whole experience on how they perceive the local area with the track and everything.
mwg

5th Jun 13 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fvUFWrqfd-c

shit your pants moment

Reminded me of this

[img]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/97486/car-hits-deer-o.gif

how high does that deer fly!
AK

5th Jun 13 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont follow.

" the whole experience on how they perceive the local area with the track and everything"

I understand its more of an 'experience', a holiday etc... i get that. I just dont get the internet cyber wanking over 'THE RING'.

Everyone (Steve included ) is a driving god/master/hero/elite once they have simpley had a steak on bit of stone near the track

My point is... if your into driving fast, it makes much more sense to do it in the UK. Distance, cost, facilities, safety etc etc.

But, yes.... for a holiday going to Silverstone for 3days would be pretty wank
3CorsaMeal

5th Jun 13 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its because it was the longest track in a computer game that it became popular, before said computer game the majority of these so called track elite had probably never heard of it.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Expensive looking crash at the Nurburgring today 23 database queries in 0.0172770 seconds