corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying part worn tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying part worn tyres
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Jul 13 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
I bought new for mine, purely cos 195/50/15 Toyo's are £130 a set!

But if I had big wide 17/18/19 inch wheels I'd consider part worns. I'd rather have a Mich with 4mm on it than a new ditch finder!

I work in a tyre place and often see cars that have had part worns fitted, some tyres are like 10 years old and more!

That's another point, its not just tread, a tyre that's been sat about for 5/6 years with plenty of tread will be as useless as a bald tyre.

In fact I recently had a tyre deflate on me, plenty of tread but had cracked with age, cars low mileage so assume they were factory tyres on a 06 car
Dave

27th Jul 13 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So read the age code?
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So now we have to check condition, tread depth, and age code, all that whilst trying to find a size and make you want. Fuck that for a game.
Nic Barnes

27th Jul 13 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which takes about 1 minute of your time.......
mwg

28th Jul 13 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve could do all sorts with that 1 minute
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jul 13 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yh, like knock u the fuck out
Carl

28th Jul 13 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So tbe conclusion is if you have a brain it is ok to buy part worn tyres as you can check the date and the tread depth and the condition quite easily. Id much rather have a grippy part worn tyre than a shit new cheap tyre.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jul 13 at 08:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The conclusion is exactly what I said 9 posts in, there's nothing wrong with it but personally I choose to buy new as I'm a snob
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jul 13 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people can't accept that though and try to claim that you are somehow dumb for not buying used tyres and saving money. I say they are dumb for not buying used clothes out the clothes bin and saving money.

Then it got Internet and Nic Barnes came along somewhere along the line.
mwg

28th Jul 13 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
yh, like knock u the fuck out

mwg

28th Jul 13 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might still end up with new tyres cos I'm thinking 5mm is going to end up meaning I need another pair of tyres right when I'm going to be wanting to get rid of the car. Also it hasn't really been working out much cheaper if you look at it on a cost per mm basis. Sorry I went a bit deano on you all there
Ben G

28th Jul 13 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do people who buy part worns shop in oxfam for their saturday night clubbing clothes?
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jul 13 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Maths on Page 3

This is what I was getting at. My experience of part worns just hasn't been cost effective so I've not bothered. If I ever see a proper bargain, I'll go for it.

Buying brand new is worth at least 10-20quid to me just for the "buying brand new effect". If I bought a part-worn which had literally been on a car for 2 minutes, I'd still want that 10-20quid discount.

If it's got half it's life left, I'd be expecting half of retail minus that 10-20quid just to "draw even".

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Nic Barnes

28th Jul 13 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

General rule on anything is read what Steve has written, laugh a lot, then do the opposite.
Graham88

29th Jul 13 at 02:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Do people who buy part worns shop in oxfam for their saturday night clubbing clothes?

Just throwing another debate out there, my part worns that you seem so against are far superior to your brand new Nankangs
Nic Barnes

29th Jul 13 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't buy part worn but buys new nankangs? Fuckin lol. What a clown.
mwg

29th Jul 13 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please say that's true
BeetleGav

29th Jul 13 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nowt wrong with partworns I don't think personally.
Ben G

29th Jul 13 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Just throwing another debate out there, my part worns that you seem so against are far superior to your brand new Nankangs

Its only on the internet that nankangs have a bad rep, most likely due to brand snobbery. The guy who fitted them said they were a decent tyre.

I've driven in anger in the rain and had no problems.

I've bought part worns before, just didn't want to this time as it was just as cheap buying a tyre that is actually ok to use if you're not obsessed with brand names, like most of the internet is.
BenC1985

29th Jul 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will back BenG up on the Nankangs. They really are not as bad as the "internet" make out. Ive ran them on my car for nearly two years on these twists and they grip pretty well in the dry. I dont drive like a tit in the rain but they are summer tyres so i wouldnt dare I will be getting 4 part worns put on my winter wheels as there is no point me forking out for new tyres to use them a few months and put them back in the shed.
A2H GO

29th Jul 13 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I replaced the £200 a pop Dunlop run flats on the Beemer for Nankangs this time round, less than half the price yet seem to have twice the grip and far more comfortable than the ridiculous run flats. They may wear down quicker (yet to be determined) but I can buy another full set and still be in pocket.

Always put part worns on the Clio, last time I got some pretty much brand new dunlops off spare wheels that have never been used for about £15 a go.

Don't know why snobbery has to come into it, probably the same people who spend £60 on a Ralph Lauren polo because it makes them feel better about themselves.

[Edited on 29-07-2013 by A2H GO]
mwg

29th Jul 13 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had Nankangs a few years ago and I hated them. Even on a 1.2 Corsa they were crap compared to Goodyear Eagle F1s
Ben G

29th Jul 13 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'a few years ago'

Their new ns2 ultra sport is a decent tyre.
mwg

29th Jul 13 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few years ago is all I have to go off. If I get tyres I don't like then I move on to something else next time
Ben G

29th Jul 13 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds reasonable.

I bought some primark socks once. Had holes in them after one use. I won't buy them again.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying part worn tyres 23 database queries in 0.0178928 seconds