corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013

New Poll
  <<  40    41    42    43    44    45    46  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day 2013
ed

User status: Offline
31st Mar 13 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Doug, Ed, what were you expecting alongside canals after recent events? flat tyres probably helped though it!

Have to check Swinley out again and now. Did an enduro race there last year, good fun

Wasn't too sure to be honest, was on a bit of a fact finding mission (lol) in preparation for a Leam to Brum and eventually Brum to London. Between Long Itchington and Hatton Locks the trail is very well kept and has no mud what so ever, after Hatton though!
Dr Pepper

31st Mar 13 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Only thing that let me down today was my legs, made the Oxford to Birmingham trip though with a quick stop in Stratford upon Avon

I take it you went through Woodstock direction on that road? What's it like, road quality and hills ect .... I've driven that way to Evesham and places but didn't take much notice of the road in the car.... How long did it take you?
gavin18787
Premium Member

31st Mar 13 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bedgebury smashed. lots of top 10 stravas obtained :-) hehe

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
deano87

31st Mar 13 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Got the bike out this morning to find the front tyre is flat. Conclusion, these Conti Mountain Kings are as durable as bog roll!

Any recommendations for some grippy, durable XC tyres? Used to use Michelins on my DH bike and I never got a puncture with them, do they do XC tyres?

I have Mountain Kings and at first were disappointed.

On a decent in Wales I got a pinch flat and was missing a nobble. Cambrian Tyres/the Continental UK importer & distributor replaced under warranty no questions asked (nothing to do with publically announcing my dissapointment on Twitter of course...) but since then they have been fire.

Mine are the all singing all dancing Black Chili compound ProTection models though - are yours? I've never got a puncture with them and find them really good.

I also really rate the ready made Slime tubes. I had a massive thorn & half a twig stuck in the tyre the other week. So big it was clipping the fork leg. I pulled it out a little bit of air rushed out then I heard the Slime plug it. Bit of air and the tube has been up ever since - haven't had to replace!

It is always worth investing in the slightly better variant of the tyre e.g. Continental ProTection, Maxxis Downhill for added durability.

Previous to Continental we have always been a fan of Schwalbe.
Doug

31st Mar 13 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
quote:
Originally posted by ed
Got the bike out this morning to find the front tyre is flat. Conclusion, these Conti Mountain Kings are as durable as bog roll!

Any recommendations for some grippy, durable XC tyres? Used to use Michelins on my DH bike and I never got a puncture with them, do they do XC tyres?

On a decent in Wales I got a pinch flat and was missing a nobble. Cambrian Tyres/the Continental UK importer & distributor replaced under warranty no questions asked (nothing to do with publically announcing my dissapointment on Twitter of course...) but since then they have been fire.

Mine are the all singing all dancing Black Chili compound ProTection models though - are yours? I've never got a puncture with them and find them really good.

I also really rate the ready made Slime tubes. I had a massive thorn & half a twig stuck in the tyre the other week. So big it was clipping the fork leg. I pulled it out a little bit of air rushed out then I heard the Slime plug it. Bit of air and the tube has been up ever since - haven't had to replace!

It is always worth investing in the slightly better variant of the tyre e.g. Continental ProTection, Maxxis Downhill for added durability.

I use these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-fire-xc-pro-folding-mountain-bike-tyre/

Brilliant grip but yes, they do let thorns in

I can't imagine any tyres would be immune to them though, they are big thorns that I have been pulling out!

Might look at these slime tubes. I assume they are ok to jump on etc?
deano87

31st Mar 13 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah fine, just like any other tube and like the sealant you put in tubeless. Just a bit heavier and thicker thats all. Obviously they don't stop everything, but baring in mind this thorn was still stuck to the twig it was attached to it was pretty big!
deano87

31st Mar 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
What do you lot think of this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=59252

I don't want to spend silly money on a bike, as I haven't got loads to spare, but I'm kind of stuck going to trail centres that rent bikes out at the moment...

Opinions please.....

The spec is very good but I'd question the frame and how effective it is.

Check out some Specialized products of a similar price bracket. I bet there is quite a few bargains out there.

Also you'll want to change the Racing Ralph tyres instantly. They're only good for the dryest of dry summer days and smoother trails.

It does get 5 stars though.

This seems well priced.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=95404

[Edited on 31-03-2013 by deano87]
ed

31st Mar 13 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed

I've wondered in the past whether OEM tyres are the same as retail ones. I remember back in the day I had Tioga Factory DH's on a bike which I bought retail - brilliant tyre! Then I bought my Kona Stinky Dee Lux which had the OEM version of said tyres which were totally different - they weren't a folding tyre and were far less durable than the ones I previously had.

Could go back to Slime tubes, wanted to try an avoid that as I'm enjoying the lightness of my bike
deano87

31st Mar 13 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lightness vs. reliability is an interesting trade off!

OEM tyres are almost certainly the lowest specification of that tyre you can buy. In your example the OEM try was probably Tioga Factory and not DH. Although you once paid a premium for Kevlar, they are often associated with "XC" tyres and therefore not as durable.

DH tyres will often have steel bead, dual ply and be a bit more durable.

Dad bought a Morewood Kalula. A freeride mini DH bike. It has Maxxis Ardents but they're the folding, single ply, single compound versions.

A good way of cutting corners and keeping a bike in a price bracket.
deano87

31st Mar 13 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And slime tubes won't be that much more heavy.

You could save the same weight by emptying excess out of your Camelbak or not using a bottle on the bike!
Cole

31st Mar 13 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got Hutchinson pythons on now as its dried out down my way so the xr muds were not needed never had a puncture wit them once where as the muds I had a hole in a tube the size of a 20p. just been out on a solo night ride 20 miles set myself some targets and beat them so pretty pleased fitness and stamina are on the up.

http://app.strava.com/activities/46682679
Jimbothebarbarian

31st Mar 13 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
What do you lot think of this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=59252

I don't want to spend silly money on a bike, as I haven't got loads to spare, but I'm kind of stuck going to trail centres that rent bikes out at the moment...

Opinions please.....

The spec is very good but I'd question the frame and how effective it is.

Check out some Specialized products of a similar price bracket. I bet there is quite a few bargains out there.

Also you'll want to change the Racing Ralph tyres instantly. They're only good for the dryest of dry summer days and smoother trails.

It does get 5 stars though.

This seems well priced.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=95404

[Edited on 31-03-2013 by deano87]

Thanks for the input.

My biggest thing is I'm a sucker for sram gearsets. I've got them on my road bike and when I've been renting bikes I've found I get on best with sram set up best of all. My favourite rental has been a mondraker dune R, fucking great bike and makes a fat meff like me look almost half decent. But I ain't got 3k to chuck at a bike....
Simon

1st Apr 13 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
quote:
Only thing that let me down today was my legs, made the Oxford to Birmingham trip though with a quick stop in Stratford upon Avon

I take it you went through Woodstock direction on that road? What's it like, road quality and hills ect .... I've driven that way to Evesham and places but didn't take much notice of the road in the car.... How long did it take you?

Yeah went A34 to A3400. Apart from distance that I'm not really used to and single speed gearing I'm pretty new to the ride is fairly simple. It's a nice route, lot's of nice villages to pass through and Stratford Upon Avon is always a nice place to stop. Took 4hr40
gavin18787
Premium Member

1st Apr 13 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must say im not a moutain kibg fan. didnt find them that great for grip and we are clay round here and they clogged up. know three people that have had them split on them too.
Wet im bonty mud x
dry im scwalbe racing ralp/ nobby nic

maxxies ignitors were pretty good mind for a cheap tyre.

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
ed

1st Apr 13 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got another LOAD of punctures today - I swear I'm cursed! Anyway, problem should be solved soon as I've just ordered some of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=78291

A friend has the older version of them on his bike and seems to do well with them. Also drilled out my rims and stuck on some Conti inner tubes which seem a bit tougher than the Halfords ones I was using. Plus, no faffing about with Presta valves now
Simon

1st Apr 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What pressure are you running your tyres? I do tend to go through periods of getting a few punctures together
Doug

1st Apr 13 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spent the morning changing all 4 tyres on both bikes. Bloody thorns
Doug

1st Apr 13 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone have any knowledge about biking the West Highland Way?

Bea and I are in initial talks about doing it to raise money for charity.

95 miles and we aim to do it 3 days, compared to walking where they suggest 7 days.

deano87

1st Apr 13 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Spent the morning changing all 4 tyres on both bikes. Bloody thorns

Slime!
Cole

1st Apr 13 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doug no london to Brighton now then
Doug

1st Apr 13 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
Doug no london to Brighton now then

Most probably be in addition to London to Brighton
Cole

1st Apr 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah very good
Nic Barnes

1st Apr 13 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to see about arranging the welsh trip day as well Douglas
Nic Barnes

1st Apr 13 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://instagram.com/p/Xk9yEdJc4v/

Pic from part way up the north loop at whinlatter today. Jumbothebarbarian tore a calf muscle or something right at the top of mountain half way round yet carried on to finish the trail. Real man.

[Edited on 01-04-2013 by Nic Barnes]
Cole

1st Apr 13 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dougs angry mate would of called an air ambulance if it was him lol

<<  40    41    42    43    44    45    46  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013 24 database queries in 0.0265250 seconds