corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  42    43    44    45    46    47    48  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Nov 13 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure there's a bucket of sarcasm, but thanks... I think

Fixed my toilet tonight - now THAT is a man job.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

7th Nov 13 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worked out those buttons flushed it did you
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Nov 13 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

funny bugger.

Remember that noise it was making? The BAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPPPPP for the full duration of the cistern filling up?

FIXED!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

8th Nov 13 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isolation valve not fully opened?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

8th Nov 13 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
funny bugger.

Remember that noise it was making? The BAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPPPPP for the full duration of the cistern filling up?

FIXED!

mine does this!
what is it so i can attack it, break it then pay a professional to come and fix my mistake?
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Nov 13 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was the valve and ballcock mechanism which seems to be a pretty much standard fitment.

Mine was a bottom entry one, £13 from screwfix. Just needed to isolate the cistern, flush the water out, remove the valve and replace with the new one - configure the water level and turn the tap back on.

Need to fix my bathroom taps next, shall I start a project thread?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Nov 13 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of an irritating day, but still got some stuff done.

Up bright and early as ever to collect something from the post office, some spacers from CDF Racing.

A few weeks back when I was adjusting my rear ARB, I noticed that the drop links didn't sit right with my new ride-height. Basically the droplinks were angled in (positive camber yo) and the bushing of one was getting nipped up against the outer washer. I got in touch with Chris @ CDF Racing and he said it was common and my fitting kit should have included spacers to sort it, so he sent me some out FOC.

Before:

One of the spacers:

After:

Next up I was going to finally fit this catch-can, so TMIC off and mocked up the position. Started drilling only to find my drill failed as soon as it "bit", just not enough torque. Nik (Daymoon) was going to pop round to try my OBDII adapter and app so asked him to bring a decent drill.

His drill worked the magic and I had a hole in no time, tapping was difficult but got there in the end... beauty.

My spacer arrangement bolted in perfectly... only problem is, there was no way for me to screw the catch-can into it's base without fouling the aircon (solid) pipes. This wasn't apparent during the mockup because I wasn't "screwing" the catchcan down into position, it's final resting place was fine - just impossible to screw it in/out with the pipes in place.

After much headscratching, I gave up - sprayed some underseal on my drilled hole and refitted the TMIC.

Refitting the TMIC took about 30mins, right pain in the arse When I finally got both pipes into place, I dropped the LAST bolt of the job and it landed out of reach on the plastic undertray :@

Jacked the car up, under-tray off... fuck it, might as well do my oil change too since the undertray was coming off.

Idled the car for 15mins or so to warm the oil up, jacked her up - bolts/clips out from the undertray then cracked off the sump plug.

Whilst it drained out, I filled up the new filter. Took several goes while all the air came out.

Old (non genuine ) oil filter came off easily by hand, then refitted my new one and new magnetic sump plug:

Manual said 4l of oil but the internet says 4.5. I put four in, checked for leaks whilst running the car on stands. Happy there were no leaks, I checked the level and it was about 80% on the way to full.

Took the car for a wee drive and then brought it back to flat land for another test. Almost to full, so added .5 litres and it was bang on the money.... so for future reference, the internet is right.

So, done my FIRST EVER oil change Don't believe I've managed to avoid one for so long, but there you go... cherry popped and I haven't welded any of my internals to each other.

As for the catch can, I'm thinking of just selling it on. I got it at group buy price which is no longer going so should be able to get my money back. Only other thing I can think of is battery relocation to the boot... perhaps something worth considering as it'll make my FMIC easier next spring

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Nov 13 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could just get a wee battery

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

9th Nov 13 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slim battery does seem to be a good option.
Good think you haven't mentioned the embarrassing(for me) part of today
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Nov 13 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, speaking of batteries

Wanna buy my fullsize one?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

9th Nov 13 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Oh yeah, speaking of batteries

Wanna buy my fullsize one?

Mine seems to be ok now

It's weird. My last thought before turning the key is who I could ring to bring jump leads
Wrighty

10th Nov 13 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your dangerous with tools

one of them batteries will probably go flat in a matter of days if your only commuting to work and stuff mate, alarm on overnight and shiz. could get a mid size one and relocate to boot? even weight distro n that
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Nov 13 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah some homework needed regarding battery. If I could half the size of my battery - there would probably be enough space for the can but I'm not sure what's available for me.

Relocating to the boot would be best, but masses of effort for the sake of a catch can - so unlikely to happen at this stage, but perhaps will happen when I go FMIC anyway...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
0775kieran

11th Nov 13 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could try a Cusco catch tank. http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=33303
gazza808

11th Nov 13 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Older civics use tiny battery's.

Worth a look
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Nov 13 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been tipped off that older Micra's have diddy batteries too.

Food for thought

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

12th Nov 13 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There will be loads of easy to come by tiny batteries, it's whether it's big enough for the car that's the problem.
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Nov 13 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done my homework and the relevant stats seem to be CCA (needs to be high enough to crank my engine) and AH (whether my limited charge time is enough to keep on top of the drain).

The tiny odyysey battery pictured above is from another Impreza which suggests the CCA is sufficient. For all I know though, he may only ever do 100mile trips per crank or keep it on a trickle charger etc... Neither of which are an option for me.

With that in mind, I'll be looking at Ah of 40+ which the odyssey is nowhere near. CCA I reckon I can go as low as 250-300.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

12th Nov 13 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do bigger ones then the pc680 mate, for a weekend car the 680 is fine and offers a genuine weight saving of 6.5kg over a standard one. but like you say your a tart and need to pootle to work every day
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Nov 13 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
They do bigger ones then the pc680 mate, for a weekend car the 680 is fine and offers a genuine weight saving of 6.5kg over a standard one. but like you say your a tart and need to pootle to work every day

I think the PC950 will be a decent compromise. It's the same length as my current battery but 80mm thinner so I could set the battery up flush to the washer bottle/fuse box and have the catch can between the battery and the headlight.

Think I'll just wait till my current battery dies, it's on it's way out I'm sure as every few days I get a single alarm chirp on startup which apparently signifies a low battery, and I ran it flat back when doing my HVAC LED's just from 5mins testing on the drive with the lights on and ignition off

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

13th Nov 13 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah 950 looks good. sounds like a keen frost will be the end of you current one lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my battery out on sunday to do some mockups with household items which could be approximately arranged into the size and shape of the PC950

Doesn't look like it'll leave enough room for the catch can, so I'm back to either the PC680 (and risking it being a waste of cash because I run it flat) or going for the boot relocation...

I think that catch-can will gather dust for now.

Treated myself to a bit of an off-season treat...

There's enough wax for probably a couple of coats (one application) so not sure whether to save it till' spring or whack it on for winter protection.

I've been using the Werkstatt kit all summer and it's been excellent, but not durable in the slightest so I'm topping it up almost weekly. As a result of that, I've used the full kit and I'm currently LSP'less.

If I get a mild/dry weekend I might strip back and apply this Angel AG stuff, otherwise just get some Meg's paste wax for a cheap filler over winter.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont know how people can be arsed to wax cars over and over.. i start and get bored before ive even finished 1/3 of the car.. never mind doing it weekly..
Ian W

18th Nov 13 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Werkstat in the Summer but come the Winter its Collinite 476 all the way.

Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
dont know how people can be arsed to wax cars over and over.. i start and get bored before ive even finished 1/3 of the car.. never mind doing it weekly..

The Werkstatt is just a spray, so pretty much like quick detailing - takes about as long as it does to dry the car off.

I didn't mind re-doing it weekly in the summer, but with washes being further apart in winter I could do with something more durable.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  42    43    44    45    46    47    48  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0286570 seconds