corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  44    45    46    47    48    49    50  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Nov 13 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Been ratting around for work all night so not had time to really go outside and have a look. Just checked in the header tank and it's barren. Undertray looks soaked from the top down although nothing on the drive, so looks like I lost most of it on the drive home!

Been googling AA Ts and Cs all night between work stuff, really not sure I'll get away with a free tow to Bradford. What's the going rate for a tow truck per mile?

About £1-£1.50

Can give you a guys number that would tow it for you on the back of his recovery truck.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you wouldn't mind, are we talking flatbed as it's AWD so I guess can't be "towed" as such.

I need to weigh it up, if the AA won't take me I nee to get a price for a new radiator and consider fitting it myself if it ends up cheaper than a tow to Bradford.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

25th Nov 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont you think it can be towed? Has neutral too you know
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AA trucks I've seen round here seem to tow with two of the wheels off the ground, and I'm under the impression that'll knacker the differential with two wheels spinning and two not.

If they can tow it with all four wheels on the ground it'll be fine, but don't think I've seen an AA man doing that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

25th Nov 13 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wayne could prolly do it but hes up int lake district til mid week
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty

Fix it or tow it?

I'm pretty sure I could change the Rad myself, but that would probably mean giving up on a freebie replacement.

If the AA will only take me somewhere local tomorrow, I'll tell him not to bother and sort it myself... or get a tow if cheap enough out of my pocket.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

25th Nov 13 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure about that tbh worth checking though
taylorboosh

25th Nov 13 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aa might bring a flatbed
Wrighty

25th Nov 13 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty

Fix it or tow it?

I'm pretty sure I could change the Rad myself, but that would probably mean giving up on a freebie replacement.

If the AA will only take me somewhere local tomorrow, I'll tell him not to bother and sort it myself... or get a tow if cheap enough out of my pocket.

hes got a recovery truck
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's a useful man to have around

I might be in touch with him mid week then.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
jacko198

26th Nov 13 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had my car towed from wycombe back to liverpool. I have my home address as my brothers garage just incase it really blows up.

Last time when my turbo blew up they took me about 20 miles. So should take you 40 tbh especially if you tell them the garage will be doing it under warranty

[Edited on 26-11-2013 by jacko198]
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 01:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As our jack said. They should take you there if you tell them that's who fitted the rad and itl be a warrantee.

And of not the radiators are easy as pie to do, did one for ungrateful arse whole of a punter. Told me to get on with it and just do it. Stripped it all down. Literally all I had to do was pull the rad out. Stopped for lunch. Got a phone call to say could I put it all together again as his mate can do it cheaper.......
Bloody Scoobie owners
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 07:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right AA man just called and my cover is no good for a ride to Bradford.

Told him not to bother coming, would have cost me £100 for a tow with him.

Im gonna jack the car up and have a look when it gets light, never know it might just be a hose down there...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't see anything pissing out with the system cold (I filled it with water before checking...) so under the advice of the garage in Bradford, I filled it up and let the car idle for 20mins or so.

Temps stayed within the usual range, and nothing was spraying out - just a steady drip from the base of the radiator.

He said I could try driving to them, but the recovery guy daymoon sent me the details for will tow me for £70 IF they can get me on the back of their flatbed (car is possibly too low )

Waiting for him to finish another job, then will see what's going on.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jamie-C

26th Nov 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How far away is the garage? I'd drive it, just bring a few bottles of water with you to top it up if the temp hand starts to rise
daymoon
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie, as Kyle said it's 40 miles. Problem is most of that is motorway and no hard shoulder for most of it.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah don't fancy getting stuck on a 40mile journey, remember it only took 7miles home from work to show as max temp yesterday...

Still waiting to hear from the recovery guy, was hoping to have the car in Bradford by now

Took my front splitter off to give me the best odds of getting on the back of a truck.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drove it 500m to the garage with the recovery truck, he's going to start loading.

Shit loads of white smoke from exhaust, even after 10mins or more at idle...

Buy a 2.0 they said, head gasket will be fine they said.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No where do you stand law wise with faulty parts causing damage to engine?
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea, doubt I've got any grounds for that to be honest.

I'm wondering if the HG (if it has gone) could have failed for the same reason as the radiator popping - like an airlock or something.

Either that or the car saw my new turbo and shit its pants.

Need to get it to ze pro's for a proper diagnosis, could be nothing... looks and smells otherwise though

This kinda answers my "clutch or no clutch" dilemma though, might as well slap one in if the engine is coming out.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aww man that gutting. Any smeggyness under your oil cap and that? That much smoke says to me headgakset but I hope it's not :/
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah oil looked fine under both the filler cap and on the dipstick.

It always puffs white at this time of year due to condensation, but only takes a minute or two for that to all burn off... so yeah it feels more sinister to me.

Hey ho - at least it happened at the comfort of my own home, and not half way to Stafford which is where I planned to go on Saturday morning

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Matt L

26th Nov 13 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this may be sound stupid but sure it isnt just because of the cold weather theres more smoke?
BarnshaW

26th Nov 13 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it would be very odd for the HG to have gone on this engine
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
this may be sound stupid but sure it isnt just because of the cold weather theres more smoke?

Possibly, I've never really idled my engine for 10mins plus before - but it was still present after quite a while, although a little less intense.

Barnshaw - I know, but it's still an engine and still has a headgasket so possible!

Only other place I can think is the turbo, could a seal have gone in there chucking steam into the exhaust?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  44    45    46    47    48    49    50  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0259640 seconds