corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Nurburgring Trip - May 2009

New Poll
  <<  45    46    47    48    49    50    51  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nurburgring Trip - May 2009
Butler

User status: Offline
3rd Jun 09 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much all of us apart from my brother. I wont be going back without insurance though...
AK

3rd Jun 09 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its no wonder so many folk are hurt / killed when they go to the 'ring'

Basic trackday safety rules wouldnt ruin the experience that much, and would hopefully prevent some of the serious shit you hear about.

No cars and bikes on at the same time (and busses!!)
Helmets must be worn
nothing hanging out of windows

No loose shit in cars. (adamd - you said your phone went under your seat!)

I understand that its still supposed to be a highway and all that crap, but it blatantly is a track, and the owners are just cashing in. They need to implement some safety measures.

Is there any form of scruitineering going on? Even self cert?

[Edited on 03-06-2009 by AK]
Butler

3rd Jun 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was saying when we were there how amazing it is with the lack of rules. You literally go up and ask for lap tickets, buy them, then go and get in your car and go. No one briefs you, asks you what car youre driving, whether its got MOT, whether you even have a license.
Butler

3rd Jun 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saying that, the ring is public road, and there are actually speed limits on the track, its just that no one abides by them and the police overlook it. They cant afford to really, the ring would lose business, as would local businesses etc
AK

3rd Jun 09 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...and thats my point. Cashing in.
Paul_J

3rd Jun 09 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

you like your new car then ?

For open top cruising on a hot summers day, driving to and from work, or pulling up outside a nice place to meet friends. Yes I fucking love the S2000.

On a track though... It's really not an amazing car in standard form. Honda made the car FAR FAR too heavy, they filled it with so many luxuries, like lovely big leather seats, air con, electric roof motors, carpet everywhere 150 lb ft of torque is not a lot to pull around 1260kg in weight.

Don't get me wrong, it goes 'alright' - as quick as any CTR / Clio / etc in a straight line and certainly handles very well (slightly loose on the limit, but fairly stable with no understeer on turn in normally) - however I expected more.

I guess when I bought it, I thought great 240 bhp - this will destroy my old car. I was hoping it'd be able to play with the porsche's and bmw m3's on track days, albiet not beat them, but just hang on with them... but it's not much up from the hot hatch terrority I was in before.

Great car, especially off track - but as a track weapon it leaves a lot to be desired and is over hyped ... Everyone goes 'cooorrr, bet that's quick' ... and I'm thinking 'about as quick as a mildly tuned 106 mate '

Problem is, I honestly can't do with having a track car / race car on the road as a daily driver, so the s2000 is perfect for what 99% of the time I need. Just thinking I'll have to get a 2nd car for track / race use.
John

3rd Jun 09 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's only as fast as a clio and the power is even higher up the rev range that would be my idea of hell.
Paul_J

3rd Jun 09 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
No cars and bikes on at the same time (and busses!!)
Helmets must be worn
nothing hanging out of windows

So true. This weekend was a Motorbike Race on the GP circuit, so there were so many motorbikes and they just seem to fall off the most. But cars + bikes at the same time = lethal. They're quick and slow in different positions and just wind each other up.

I've never had a problem wearing a helmet on track, there's no downside - but definately a upside of added protection - if anything it allows you to mentally drive faster.

I was a passenger in a car that crashed this weekend (albeit only slightly) and none of us had helmets on, I followed the crowd with not wearing it in their car (first time on the ring where I haven't worn one) and just thought 'ffs why wasn't I wearing it' - afterwards. Luckily no one was hurt and it was only a minor off. but still - just no reason not to.
Paul_J

3rd Jun 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If it's only as fast as a clio and the power is even higher up the rev range that would be my idea of hell.

Exactly! even when buzzing as quick as a clio in straight line, but with the downside that off vtec there's nothing...

S2000 should never of weighed 1260kg... that's the same as a ferrari ffs. They should've made it weigh around 1000kg - that'd of made it sooo much better.

If you look at the tuned s2000's on jap vids, most only weigh around 960kg and haven't got much done to the engine, but the difference is amazing.
Adam-D

3rd Jun 09 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i started my phone, - timing, i heard a thud as it bugger'd off,
then left it there, al "travel" stuff spare stuff etc was in the hotel room,

but i do see what your saying, there is a couple of reasons why they do t like it is, german road law applies still and a few other bits.
Butler

3rd Jun 09 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When Paul was in my car I remember first thing he said was 'Its actually pretty quick', when driving my dads I didnt think his S2000 was quicker than my clio at all.
Butler

3rd Jun 09 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think il take a helmet next time, wasnt expecting to go so quick. Only down side I can see of wearing on is that your peripheral vision is restricted, and on the ring especially when its busy you constantly need to be alert for quick cars coming up behind you or bikers especially.
taylorboosh

3rd Jun 09 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how did the clio get dented?
AK

3rd Jun 09 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now have the same fun for about 1/5th of the cost by doing UK trackdays

FruitBooTeR

3rd Jun 09 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
Saying that, the ring is public road, and there are actually speed limits on the track, its just that no one abides by them and the police overlook it. They cant afford to really, the ring would lose business, as would local businesses etc

Im sorry im gonna sound completly retarded now but I dont know a lot about the ring so thats my excuse but...

The ring is a public road? as far as I thought its a race track?? speedlimits?

Someone please explain
Paul_J

3rd Jun 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is my video of the 8 min 57 by the way... quality is a bit poor and cameraman keeps hiding the camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcjUW-ccm9M

Wasn't the best lap, but only good one on film.
CorsAsh

3rd Jun 09 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Traffic. The reason I didn't want to go at this time of the year
birchieboy

3rd Jun 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
now have the same fun for about 1/5th of the cost by doing UK trackdays

my whole weekend including ferry, hotel, petrol, food and 6 laps(60 mins of track time) came just shy of £500.

i do like doing uk trackdays as you get to learn the track fairly quickly then get to spend the rest of your time perfecting each corner, therefor having much satisfaction.

however uk trackdays average a cost of £250 plus petrol. plus if its not local to you you will have to stay at a hotel anyway costing extra £'s.

The ring is a completely different experiance, the track is amazing, the people are friendly, the atmosphere is quailty. plus its a nice break from a depressing england. its my second time out there and i will be trying to go again this year.

the reason there are so many crashes is because no one knows all 120 corners on the track, where as on a uk track you can see the corner in advance on the ring you cant. most corners are blind, some are short and some are long, some tighten half way round and some dip unexpected.
plus there are no run off areas so if you do come off your hitting a barrier.
yes they could put in more precautions, and it may be slighly safer, but that would take away the essence of the ring.

every person ive spoke to who has ever been wants to go again, there is no other experiancelike it.
birchieboy

3rd Jun 09 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is some scruitineering at the entrance.
i saw a elise which had to put its soft top back on, and alot of bikers who didnt have there helmets on tight enough. oviously all cars must be road legal, mot etc but it would be near impossible to check
broster
Premium Member

3rd Jun 09 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by birchieboy
i saw a elise which had to put its soft top back on, and alot of bikers who didnt have there helmets on tight enough. oviously all cars must be road legal, mot etc but it would be near impossible to check

Not impossible, but time consuming and costly.

but thats the point of the ring, you take your risks when you go and if you crash its going to cost, everyone knows this, its part of the thrill i supose?
Butler

3rd Jun 09 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
how did the clio get dented?

That was from a track day I did a few weeks before, guy in a senator thought he could drift, failed and clipped me. Ive got a new one on the door on the way though.
Butler

3rd Jun 09 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I completely agree with Birchie. I went out there not knowing what to expect, never thought id come away wanting to go back. Just figured id be satisfied having done it and forget about it, but its a bug and ive been well and truly bitten! Also agree its refreshing to get away from Britain, and the scenery is simply stunning.
Paul_J

3rd Jun 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my opinion the nurburgring is about the experience... the atmosphere etc - not just the track action. That's what makes it completely different to a track day.

Plus the complexity of the circuit and the shear balls required to drive it fast - it all adds up to why it trumps any other 'track day'.

I disagree with birchie boy when he says no one knows every corner. I know I do and I know many others do. I think the issue more is that, it only takes 1 person not to know every corner and get caught out (which is easy considering the changes in direction and blind corners) - then once that person has crashed, other people crash into them / lose it avoiding them and it causes more crashes.

To be honest though, this weekend they simply had just too many people there and too many people out on track at one time! Would be far better if they kept bikes and cars seperate. If a car gets caught out they may have a 'moment' or spin... which won't do damage or require a closure. However if a biker has a moment, they tend to drop the bike - smash it up and cause further accidents.
hbutler

3rd Jun 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by birchieboy

How did the celica perform on track? always liked the gt-four
richc

3rd Jun 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh i had as much fun driving to the ring as i did going around the ring (yes i know i clipped the barrier and there was no other cars about)

<<  45    46    47    48    49    50    51  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Nurburgring Trip - May 2009 22 database queries in 0.0245900 seconds