corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fish Tanks

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fish Tanks
Cosmo

User status: Offline
26th Jul 06 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

neons are not that hardy a fish (probably due to their size) so wont do well in an uncycled tank. You best using decent sized goldfish then getting rid of them after (hold a fun fair in your front garden and give them away as prizes)

Cycling is when you start the filtering bacteria to colonize in your filter. This is done by introducing an ammonia source (fish waste, dead food, etc.) which the bacteria feeds on. It turns that into nitrates and then into nitrites (think its that way round). If you dont cycle your tank, ammonia builds up which is very harmful for fish and normally ends up killing them.

Russ

26th Jul 06 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GREG 1
I would say Plattys, get x2 plattys and they will cycle your tank well..

If you go into your local fish shop and tell them you put fish in to help cycle they all died then they wont be too pleased!
i did this, i said, i was told neons are no good for cycling, he said, nah they'll be fine. wanker.

why has it ruined tank greg? everything else is fine.
Cosmo

26th Jul 06 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it shouldnt ruin the tank. If anything it'll provide more of an ammonia spike to get it cycled. Just do water tests every few days, note the ammonia spike then wait for that to fall and nitrates and nitrites to rise. Once they have, do a water change and your done.

Just introduce the fish slowly, so you dont add too much ammonia and go through another cycle.
Russ

26th Jul 06 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kk
GREG 1

26th Jul 06 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the dead fish are left in your tank for a cetain number of hours then it will pollute your tank and cause problems.

I strongle suggest a 25% water change asap
Cosmo

26th Jul 06 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If the dead fish are left in your tank for a cetain number of hours then it will pollute your tank and cause problems.

I strongle suggest a 25% water change asap

nooooo....you should NEVER do a water change durng a cycle. He'll just remove the ammonia that the filter needs to cycle and extend how long it will take. The dead fish will only be giving off ammonia so its no harm as that needs to spike anyway sometime soon.
Ally

26th Jul 06 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just remove the fishies and carry on but monitor your water stats
mwg

26th Jul 06 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so once you have the cycle started you then get the fish but dont do a water change for 2 weeks after the fish have been introduced?
Cosmo

26th Jul 06 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
so once you have the cycle started you then get the fish but dont do a water change for 2 weeks after the fish have been introduced?

no, you shouldnt introduce the fish until the cycle has finished and you have done the water change. Then introduce them a few at a time so you dont overload the filter with ammonia as that'll harm the fish.

Once you introduce the fish you should be doing one or two small (10-15%) water changes per week.
mwg

26th Jul 06 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye thats what I meant, put fish in once the filter is established. badly worded thanks again
GREG 1

26th Jul 06 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmmm agree to disagree... Most of what you say I 100% agree with though.
Cosmo

26th Jul 06 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Hmmmm agree to disagree... Most of what you say I 100% agree with though.

the whole point of a cycle is to build up ammonia first so the filtering bacteria can feed on it and multiply. Dead fish give off ammonia (hence why I filter my tank with prawns as its the same).

Doing a water change will decrease the ammonia levels and prevent, or atleast slow down, the cycle as the ammonia levels will need t build up again.

I agree leaving dead fish for days upon days will probably attract fungus and the likes, but a few days will do nothing harmful during a cycle.
Russ

9th Aug 06 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hiya!!!

ok, tank has been up about a month, and im starting to get a bit of algae, so i need a fish that eats it like its gone out of fashion, any suggestions?
Cosmo

9th Aug 06 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
hiya!!!

ok, tank has been up about a month, and im starting to get a bit of algae, so i need a fish that eats it like its gone out of fashion, any suggestions?

your best working out why your getting algae, as no fish will get rid of it totally. Is your tank in direct sunlight at all? Many plants?

You could go for a Pleco or similar, but they'll shit as much as they'll eat so just as bad IMO!
Simon

9th Aug 06 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I brought my girlfriend a tank recently, when i first kept fish we had to wait a couple of weeks before getting fish though guy in the shop said she can get hardy fish within 3-4 days, all weve done so far is set the tank up and but some stress coat/chlorine remover and bacteria stuff in, is that right or should we wait a bit longer?
Russ

9th Aug 06 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Russ
hiya!!!

your best working out why your getting algae, as no fish will get rid of it totally. Is your tank in direct sunlight at all? Many plants?

You could go for a Pleco or similar, but they'll shit as much as they'll eat so just as bad IMO!
no direct sunlight, but, i have about 10-12 plants in there.
Russ

9th Aug 06 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I brought my girlfriend a tank recently, when i first kept fish we had to wait a couple of weeks before getting fish though guy in the shop said she can get hardy fish within 3-4 days, all weve done so far is set the tank up and but some stress coat/chlorine remover and bacteria stuff in, is that right or should we wait a bit longer?
nah thats right mate, you need to get your ammonia nitrate and nitrite levels up and back down again next
starkie

10th Aug 06 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just take the dead ones out and fire a few gold fish in why not go down the malawi route they are much cooler than tropicals and easier to keep than marine
Cosmo

10th Aug 06 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

you need to have an ammonia source to start the tank cycling (to get the filtering bacteria in the mood for making love and having babies). So the bacteria in a bottle isnt much use - let alone that the filtering bacteria isnt free floating, so not sure how they got it in a bottle!!

Either buy some goldfish you dont mind getting harmed, put them in for a week or two and they'll give you some ammonia. After a few weeks just flush them and get your fish!
Simon

15th Aug 06 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the tank I got my girlfriend, it's now been setup a while and weve got three swordtails in it as they were recommended as hardy fish.

One thing I'd like to ask is how important is airation, the filter on the tank I used to have used to blow out air with the exiting water, I know you can get air stones and the like, guessing that seeing that this was sold as a complete setup and didnt include one that it doesn't and the fish are fine going to the surface which they seem to do every now and then?
Cosmo

19th Aug 06 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
One thing I'd like to ask is how important is airation, the filter on the tank I used to have used to blow out air with the exiting water, I know you can get air stones and the like, guessing that seeing that this was sold as a complete setup and didnt include one that it doesn't and the fish are fine going to the surface which they seem to do every now and then?

Been on hols so sorry for the late reply...

Its fairly important, but I would assume the tank is getting enough if the fish arent acting wierd. Tanks tend to get most the air in the water via the filters (either as it trickles over the media, or as it breaks the water surface upon re-entry), but if your filter isnt doing this either change it round so it does or if you feel the need just buy a small air pump + air stone.
Simon

19th Aug 06 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs, thanks, I think I might raise the filter a little so the exit is slightly out of the water then
marklaruk

19th Aug 06 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks nice that simon
Russ

19th Aug 06 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No probs, thanks, I think I might raise the filter a little so the exit is slightly out of the water then
on mine mate the filter pumps the water out above the surface, keeps it all ticking over nicely. ill put some picks up of some fish.
Russ

19th Aug 06 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fish Tanks 22 database queries in 0.0184541 seconds